Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: So, how many times have you been on the summit of Whitney??
KathyW #24817 06/07/12 09:08 PM
Bob R - If variety is the spice of life, then it is the spice of hiking as well. I like to go to a lot of different places for the wonder of new discoveries. However, some of those peaks and spires require class 3 or 4 abilities which not everyone has. So, we do what we can and experience via trip reports for the ones we cannot. Although, not without a tear of disappointment

KathyW #24825 06/08/12 06:29 AM
J
J
None, but I climbed Mt. Sunflower once.

Bob R #24831 06/08/12 07:51 AM
CaT Offline
Bob R

Great perspective, Bob. Laura sent me more in that direction when I was out there last year (which was also the first time I met her in person -- finally). I have appreciated the road less traveled ever since, though sadly, I have few opportunities to take advantage of that out there, given where I live.

Thanks for expanding our personal envelopes.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #24849 06/08/12 06:28 PM
I think most people know my story of how Mt Whitney helped me set a goal, one goal, and in reality, one first goal after cancer surgery and after a new hip.

I was 48 years old and I had made a goal to summit Mt Whitney while at a friends home celebrating the 4th of July, 2005. I had run marathons, including the Wild Wild West in Lone Pine, done a couple of triathlons, and just enjoyed running to keep myself in halfway good shape. I wasn't a gym rat, but did like to workout. Problem was, I had injured my hip years earlier and it was just about done for. At the time I made a decision to summit Mt Whitney, it was a huge goal, as I couldn't even walk 1/4 of a mile, and the pain was excruciating at times.... which of course was helped by Valium, Vicodin, and well, some alcohol to really deaden the pain. So, here I am, sitting next to a pool, talking with my friend (who had stopped telling me about his marathon adventures because he thought it would make me feel bad,) and I tell him.... We're summiting Whitney. He was so happy and we immediately started figuring out how to do it. First, I needed a new hip. Well, God has a way of changing your plans and less than a month later, melanoma visited me. Scary stuff, in light of the fact the first doctor said I'd be lucky to be here in 5 years! So, Whitney was on the back burner and now my goal was to live. I had surgery to remove my thumb as the melanoma was under the nail. I did chemo, ate organic, took supplements and overall took pretty good care of myself.

Problem was, I couldn't walk as my hip started getting worse. I talked to my oncologist and he told me to avoid any major surgery for approx three yeas as to not stress out my body.... so, I could plan for surgery, but not have it. With my inactivity and of course loving to eat, my weight had ballooned to 255 pounds and yea, I was FAT! But, Whitney was still on my mind.... just needed to get that darn hip fixed. Well, time passed and in reality, I was pretty miserable. I was fat, out of shape, couldn't workout and just plain wasn't happy. I couldn't wait until I could walk without pain again, just didn't know how it would all work. Well, I did lose a small amount of weight and got down to about 240 or so, but being as miserable as I was, just didn't care..... Though my business was going fairly well, my personal life really sucked and it seemed like the more energy I put into my relationship, the more it took. 5 teenagers were wearing me down fast. But, I was lucky that my girlfriend did support me through my cancer and my hip surgery... and I will always be thankful for that.

After about 2 1/2 years, I started looking for surgeons. I visited many from the Inland Empire to San Diego. I just interviewed them all until I felt comfortable with one, comfortable with a personality and a professionalism and of course had a great track record. One day I saw a youtube video of a surfer who had gotten a new hip. I visited that doctor and knew right away, this guy was the guy who was going to make me well. Surgery was set. I had my deductible met from two PetScans related to my melanoma and this wasn't going to break the bank. Problem was, my doctor liked riding bicycles. On my visit to the hospital for my hip replacement orientation, I heard a nurse say, "Oh no, should we tell them". I asked her what happened and she said the doctor had been in an accident on his bicycle and he broke his arm, with one of the bones actually coming out of his arm! With that, she said my surgery would be put off until NEXT YEAR. I said not a chance as my deductible had been met and asked who could do the surgery this year. She said, "well, maybe his partner, Dr Mc Bride, the guy he was racing when he crashed!!! So, off to Dr Mc Bride, date set and a new hip put in within weeks. Surgery was October 21, 2008.

I gotta tell you, for me, hip surgery is a blessing, a miracle, a gift from God. It's as if God put his hand on your hip and you can walk again. The first week was a walker and pretty embarrassing for a 48 year old. But then, crutches. I still remember walking around the block with crutches and no pain. I told everyone. I felt like I had already summitted a huge mountain. I went to the gym a few weeks later and rode the bike. Then I started the stairmaster. I also started walking more around the block and then the mountains.

I set a date for Whitney and got permits for my friend, his son, my stepkid and my girlfriend. Months later, I "thought" I was ready, only to find that the switchbacks were a bit harder than I thought. And my girlfriend gave up at Trail Camp. So, I really didn't have the mental frame of mind that day, which was the first Monday in September, 2009. BUT... when I got home, I wasn't happy I hadn't made it, so I went to San Jacinto the next weekend, then San Jacinto again two weeks later. All in all, I went above 10,000 feet 4 times in 6 weeks, including my failure on Whitney. Now, I thought I was ready. I called my friend DJ and he said, "lets' do it", though he had summited Whitney the month before. We picked a date to go, October 11th, 2009, less than a year from my hip replacement.

We summited Whitney on that day. I cried at the top. Since then I've summited with Gary and summited with a woman I met on the trail, a Sheriffs officer named Michelle. So, to answer the question, how many times have I summited? Three. Mt Whitney gave me a goal. My friends helped me accomplish it...... and one more thing. Remember when I was 255 and couldn't walk? Well, now I'm 186 and can tell people I've summited the highest mountain in the continental United States. I thank everyone on this site as well as the WPSMB for helping me achieve my goal. I will see some of you in a few weeks.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #24850 06/08/12 07:43 PM
An honor and a privilege to have gone up this mountain with you twice, my friend. You're an inspiration to us all. Looking forward to doing it again in August.

1 member likes this: onelasttime
quillansculpture #24853 06/08/12 11:33 PM
S
S
Joe, what an inspiration! like!

I never knew the whole story. Thanks for sharing it.

quillansculpture #25177 06/17/12 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
. . . . We summited Whitney on that day. I cried at the top. Since then I've summited with Gary and summited with a woman I met on the trail, a Sheriffs officer named Michelle. So, to answer the question, how many times have I summited? Three. Mt Whitney gave me a goal. My friends helped me accomplish it...... and one more thing. Remember when I was 255 and couldn't walk? Well, now I'm 186 and can tell people I've summited the highest mountain in the continental United States. I thank everyone on this site as well as the WPSMB for helping me achieve my goal. I will see some of you in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing smile

I(with my husband Larry)have summited Mt. Whitney once: what a beautiful climb.

KathyW #25221 06/19/12 01:25 PM
U
ulu Offline
U
3 times-2 on the MR and 1 on the main trail. I got shut down last spring on the chute, so 3 out of 4 attempts.

ulu #25228 06/19/12 04:45 PM
As of this morning.....once.

Dave #25259 06/20/12 06:06 PM
Q
Q
At least 25 times. Not out of compulsiveness, or trying to set a record or impress anyone. Like others have noted, it's always a good test of fitness. It's close by (relative for the Sierra) to Los Angeles, and there is something magical about the top, even with all the people. I finally did the MR and I don't think I'll do the standard route as a day hike again.

Last time to the summit was on the last day of doing the High Sierra Trail. I never realized how miserable on the knees and ankles the trail down from the switchbacks to around Mirror Lake is!

KathyW #25357 06/23/12 08:44 AM
D
D
Well, On June 19th, I reached it for the first time on an overnight from Trail Camp. I still can't believe how beautiful the whole trip was. I would love to come back sometime soon to do the Mountaineer's Route or attempt it in a day. Being from the East Coast, and noticing how the altitude slowed us down (compared to our pace hiking in NH), a day hike would be extremely challenging, and something I look forward to someday.

RichardK #25359 06/23/12 09:54 AM
For me, I have reached Trail Crest 6 times, and the summit three times (weather shortened the trip twice, and insufficient desire once). My last summit was Wed. June 20th with my daughter and a family friend. For them, it was their first attempt, and first summit. You go girls:-)
Why? You know, I keep asking myself that. It is painful, but in time I forget the pain. The views are magnificent. I do love an "adventure". Etc....
But I guess the "bottom line" is that we all like a challenge, and to achieve something "significant". After all, who wants to do something simple? Although there are several folks on this board that can make "easy work" of the climb, I think that for the most of us mortals this hike is a "significant" challenge, and being able to do it does gratify me.

John Sims #25382 06/24/12 07:53 PM
Four Attempts

Three Summits

thanks

Lynnaroo
KathyW #25541 07/01/12 09:29 PM
33 attempts.
33 summits.
5 different routes.

bobpickering #25727 07/05/12 10:03 PM
Once, 16 years ago and 40 lbs lighter. God willing, July 19th with the extra years, pounds and 14 year old son will be twice.

KathyW #25744 07/06/12 10:25 PM
B
B
I've been once,& am eager to try again,next hike will be in Oct,any tips for a fast climb,the first and last was 13 hrs total,am hoping to do much better.

Barefoot #25748 07/06/12 10:56 PM
Three attempts (MT (2010), MT (2011), JMT (2012)). Three summits.

Thinking of the High Sierra Trail for next year.....

Akichow #25789 07/08/12 08:25 PM
Aki:

I have become a huge fan of the HST. You are in for a treat. What a great approach to MW. When you think about it, its not that much longer than acclimatizing for Whitney for a couple of nights and then doing it as an overnight on the MT. Its what will keep me coming back to MW.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #25790 07/08/12 09:26 PM
Good to know! Saw a program at an REI about going West-to-East, and became very intrigued. Saw where the trails converge with the JMT this last trip ... seems like a marvelous adventure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard