Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Monumentally Stupid Politician
#27076 08/19/12 07:03 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, this is generally a non-political forum, and Monumentally Stupid does not automatically disqualify a pol, but this is beyond the pale. Better to vote for a hantamouse than this kind of asshattery. Stupid is stupid.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Re: Monumentally Stupid Politician
wagga #27090 08/20/12 11:54 AM
H
H
agreed,

but he might have gotten his errant medical advice/ pseudoscience from the kind of deteriorating quality we are seeing now, and will see more of in the future

I had to look up that asshattery word. It fits.

Harvey Lankford #27096 08/20/12 04:38 PM
His party put him on the Science and Technology Committee. Have read that somewhere between 5 and 12% of rapes result in pregnancy. Maybe he didn't get the memo.

KevinR #27098 08/20/12 05:28 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried to email him with the following message:

"Your recent statements make me wonder as to what qualifications you possess to be on the Science & Technology Committee.

Just another scientist with an inquiring mind.

Dave
."

But I'm not in Missouri, so I can't send it.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #27118 08/21/12 11:43 AM
T
T
Frankly, I think that Akin should go hang out with Whoopi Goldberg who excused Roman Polanski's drugging and rape of a 13 year old girl as not being "rape-rape".

Or all of the Hollywood celebrities like Harrison Ford, Woody Allen, Jonathen Demme, John Landis, Debra Winger, Harvey Weinstein, etc....who came out in support of Roman Polanski.

Akin is an idiot. But there is no shortage of idiots on either side of the political aisle.

wagga #27122 08/21/12 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga
I tried to email him with the following message:

"Your recent statements make me wonder as to what qualifications you possess to be on the Science & Technology Committee.

Just another scientist with an inquiring mind.

Dave
."

But I'm not in Missouri, so I can't send it.

I am from there...but I don't claim it as my home state...never did.

Ever wonder why all the trees in all the 8 states that surround Missouri lean towards Missouri? Yes, eight states surround the Sho-Me.

Journey well...
tdtz #27135 08/21/12 07:00 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Akins is no idiot.

He was voicing the official opinion of the Republican party.

The Plank Committee for the Repub Convention TODAY voted on and confirmed the position that Akins stated.

As Rush apparently said, the Repubs should stand by their man, and their beliefs.

Quote:
Limbaugh said that he was not prepared to throw Akin "under the bus" as have so many conservative pundits and lawmakers.

He went on to say that Akin's defense of life was noble, but that he went about making his case with "glorious ineptitude."

Ken #27136 08/21/12 07:11 PM
T
T
yes, Akin is an idiot. The idea that a woman who is forcibly raped cannot get pregnant is ignorant and there is plenty of evidence to contradict it.

That is not the opinion of any political party. It is the opinion of an idiot.

tdtz #27137 08/21/12 07:12 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
It's True. We Doctors Have Been Giving Republican Congressmen False Information As A Joke

by Jon Bershad | 11:57 am, August 20th, 2012

The following is a transcript of comments made to me this morning by Dr. Leon Jensen when asked about his connection to Rep. Todd Akin:

Ok, ok, ok! You got us!…one minute. I'm sorry. I just can't stop…laughing. Oh, God, seriously, my stomach hurts so damn bad…Can someone get me a water or something? … Ok, just let me catch my breath … Alright. Here we are. Ok, I'm good.

But, yes, it's true. We doctors have been giving Republican Congressmen false information as a joke. We've been doing it for years and it's been hilarious.

I knew we'd gone too far with that Akin guy. It's just, you've got to keep heightening the joke, y'know? See what you can get away with.

So when Akin comes in to the hospital lounge and he's all, "I need a reason to make rape abortions illegal," my buddy Kurt (he's an oncologist) looks at me and he goes, "Dude, I can totally make this guy think ladies have duck vaginas." And I'm like, "Kurt, don't do it!" But you guys know Kurt! And Akin totally bought it hook line and sinker! That guy is on the Science Committee or whatever and he thinks human ladies have special duck vaginas!

It's not just us though! We didn't even do it first! Scientists have been lying to Republicans as a prank for even longer!

It all started like a decade ago or something when this Republican kept going up to all these scientists and being like, "At least one of you has to think that Global Warming isn't manmade!" And all the scientists kept having to say, "No, dude! We've all done tests!" But this guy just kept coming back (usually with his like oil company friends who, let me tell you, are just the worst) so, eventually, one of the scientists just goes, "You know what, I don't believe in Global Warming. It's inconclusive and stuff."

And that was going to be it, y'know? It was just going to be that one guy. But then Republicans started going on TV and saying really mean stuff about scientists for no reason and so all the friends of the first scientist were like, "Screw it. I want to lie to them too." And then my doctor friends and I joined in and, well, it has been one of the funniest things I've ever been a part of.

I know it's mean but these guys are just sooooooo gullible!

It's a total bummer that Akin guy blew our cover now because we had so much ridiculous stuff coming up! My friend, Kayla totally got this one Republican to start drafting a nationwide Cootie Shot Initiative. I know about that one because I was the one who actually told the lie (these Republicans still don't believe in lady doctors) and it was so hard to keep a straight face. Hilarious!

But that's nothing compared to what the scientists are doing! Oh, man! I know about this group of scientists, they were all having a science party, when these Republican Senators came in looking for science-y reasons to make video games illegal. The scientists were all watching the Jean-Claude Van Damme movie Timecop and they were a little drunk so they start telling the Republicans that it wasn't a movie and that their TV was actually a portal into the future. I don't want to give those guys away but just know that when a giant billion dollar Republican plan to prevent time-travelling terrorism is revealed, it's totally our fault.

God, that was funny. Whew. Thanks for the water. I've got to go anyway, I'm supposed to go on cable news in an hour.

Oh, crap! I hope they don't read this column and cancel my appearance! I've been lying to those guys for a decade!

tdtz #27138 08/21/12 07:15 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
Originally Posted By: tdtz
yes, Akin is an idiot. The idea that a woman who is forcibly raped cannot get pregnant is ignorant and there is plenty of evidence to contradict it.

That is not the opinion of any political party. It is the opinion of an idiot.

Quote:
Limbaugh said that he has heard similar claims about pregnancies that result from rape before from pro-lifers.

Perhaps I'm confused about the political affiliation of these folks.

Plus, Akins is not just "some guy". He is a sitting CONGRESSMAN. But he is not just a congressman, he has been elevated to be the CHAIR of the Science and Technology Committee. This is who *one of the political parties* looks to for guidance and expertise on such issues.

Ken #27139 08/21/12 07:27 PM
T
T
you stated:
He was voicing the official opinion of the Republican party.

The Plank Committee for the Repub Convention TODAY voted on and confirmed the position that Akins stated.

Perhaps you can show me where in the Republican platform it says that women cannot get pregnant when they are forcibly raped. Perhaps I was unclear about which statement was idiotic....no, no, I wasn't. I was very clear.

Certainly Akin has views that are common to the republican party platform. Many Republicans and Democrats have the view that a individual human existence happens some time before birth. Some believe at conception, some believe after the first trimester, some believe after the second trimester. It's a pretty gray area and not every republican believes in or agrees with every plank in the party platform. Nor do they believe everything that every republican politician believes. Just like most democrats don't believe that Guam is going to tip over and capsize because there are too many people on it, like Democrat Representative Hank Johnson suggests
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxF4AmsgaYE

Ken #27140 08/21/12 07:31 PM
T
T
Plus, Akins is not just "some guy". He is a sitting CONGRESSMAN. But he is not just a congressman, he has been elevated to be the CHAIR of the Science and Technology Committee. This is who *one of the political parties* looks to for guidance and expertise on such issues.

it's kinda like having Barney Frank as the Finance Committee Chairman.

Or Maxine Waters as the ranking member of the Finance sub-committee on Capital Markets and GSEs.

And guess what, one can have views that are not anti-abortion, but are against federally funded abortions and also against forcing organizations who are against abortion to fund abortions. I happen to be one of those people. And that was what Akin was talking about when he made his boneheaded comment.

there'd be a whole lot more pro-choice support from republicans and libertarians if there wasn't an expectation for others to foot the bill. You want people to keep their politics off your bodies, don't expect them to pay your bills.

tdtz #27142 08/21/12 08:48 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
And guess what, one can have views that are not anti-abortion,

Not if you are a real Republican. Just ask them.

Quote:

there'd be a whole lot more pro-choice support from republicans and libertarians if there wasn't an expectation for others to foot the bill. You want people to keep their politics off your bodies, don't expect them to pay your bills.

On this, you are truly delusional. If you consider yourself a repub, which you stated that you are, don't take on the right to speak for libertarians, which you are NOT.

I know many devout people who sincerely believe in their positions against abortion. To put them down as being able to be "bought off" by redefining it as a money issue, is simply an insult to their integrity.

The fact is, it is NOT an economic issue. Your preferred alternative, birth, is FAR FAR FAR more expensive FOR YOU. Always has been, always will be.

I find it bizarre that anyone would want to have legal prohibitions on medical procedures, based upon not wanting to pay for it selectively. Especially when it is men who want to impose upon women.

Ken #27143 08/21/12 08:53 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
CS Monitor

"Republicans in Tampa, Fla., are drafting a platform provision that calls for a "human life amendment" to the Constitution: a ban on abortion

The abortion plank "will affirm our view and support for the right to life" that has long been part of the Republican platform, Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) of Virginia, chairman of the platform committee, told Bloomberg News.

The platform does not include exceptions"

tdtz #27144 08/21/12 08:58 PM
K
Ken Offline
K

Perhaps you can show me where in the Republican platform it says that women cannot get pregnant when they are forcibly raped. Perhaps I was unclear about which statement was idiotic....no, no, I wasn't. I was very clear.

His quote:

Quote:
"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," Akin said on KTVI-TV. "But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child."

I am SO GLAD that you have clarified that the ONLY idiotic thing in the statement had to do with the FALSE ASSERTION that doctors told him how female biology works. And that NOTHING else in his position is extreme or outside the mainstream of Repub positions.

NO exceptions for rape, incest, or life of the mother.

I also like his, and Ryan's support for personhood amendments, that makes virtually all doctors in the last 50 years defined as murderers. Certainly makes it easier than shooting us.

Nice work.

Ken #27145 08/21/12 11:01 PM
T
T
Goodnight Ken

Last edited by tdtz; 08/21/12 11:06 PM.
tdtz #27147 08/21/12 11:26 PM
"It's not the politicians that suck..... it's the public"..... George Carlin

Garbage in Garbage Out

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #27148 08/21/12 11:34 PM
I've got this real moron thing I do, it's called "thinking". And I'm not a very good American because I form my own opinions.
George Carlin

IMHO.... the reason this country is so screwed up, and it is....is because too many people stick to their ideologies, instead of being individuals and and searching for idealism. Prime examples above. Dems suck, Repubs suck.... geeez, and those are arguments from two guys I respect and are very intelligent.
When it comes down to it, the politicians from both major parties throw as much crap out there to make sure we keep our mind off the real issues..... and they all leave office rich. Yes, both Dems and Repubs.
God help us.

quillansculpture #27149 08/21/12 11:37 PM
T
T
So, I heard that it snowed up on Whitney this past week.....

Last edited by tdtz; 08/22/12 12:07 AM.
tdtz #27159 08/22/12 04:15 PM
Yea..... funny, huh?
timing is everything.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard