Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lone Pine Lake
#31540 05/26/13 01:03 AM
T
tdtz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Went up to LPL today. Training for both me and my brother in law for a summit attempt later this summer.

Parked next to a couple in the overflow parking lot (which was mostly empty). The woman was wearing a tutu and had a couple of dobies. I asked..."are you dobiemom?" And she was, of course. She was there with her husband and taking the dogs up to LPL. And meeting Akichow and Tracey who were on their way to the summit. Akichow and Tracey were also in tutus. It was great meeting the Tutu Team (+DobieDad).

Water levels are very low all over the mountain. LPL is lower now than it was at the end of last summer. I have no idea how that is possible. The traditionally wet areas of the MMWT had barely a trickle. The log crossing was also very low flow.

The fish at LPL weren't biting today. At least not flies. I tried every fly in my collection, and no joy. I'd get nibbles, but only one real bite...and he jumped off of the hook right as I was bringing him to shore.

Absolutely beautiful day and it was far less crowded than I would expect for memorial weekend.

Side note: I am really amazed at how much trash is at LPL. I picked up an incredible amount of broken glass, both in the water and on the shore. I can see how a case could be made to ban glass bottles on the trail.

Re: Lone Pine Lake
tdtz #31706 06/07/13 10:38 AM
S
S
(moved tdtz post to Trip Reports)
Originally Posted By: tdtz
Went up to LPL today. Training for both me and my brother-in-law for a summit attempt later this summer.

...Absolutely beautiful day and it was far less crowded than I would expect for memorial weekend.

Side note: I am really amazed at how much trash is at LPL. I picked up an incredible amount of broken glass, both in the water and on the shore. I can see how a case could be made to ban glass bottles on the trail.

Tom, thanks so much for helping clean up. Since Lone Pine Lake can be visited without a permit, lots of people day hike there for a picnic and head back, so it's a different crowd than higher on the trail.

Re: Lone Pine Lake
Steve C #31851 06/15/13 08:49 AM
Re: Trash at Lone Pine Lake

This is why I like animals so much ... they don't trash their environment .. the bears and crows only spread around the trash that humans already left behind.

Lynnaroo

Link Copied to Clipboard