0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
It's the journey, not the destination
#38139 06/30/14 01:48 PM
OP Offline
From a historic point of view I have been much more focused on the destination, rather than the journey. This year I hope to change that orientation, and spend more time photographing the journey, rather than racing to the destination (while taking a few snap shots along the way).

Toward that end, during the week of June 16th I spent three days at Mammoth Lakes doing day hikes in order to become better acclimatized. I really like the area above Lake Mary/George Lake/Crystal Lake, so decided to hike up to Mammoth Crest from George Lake. I did this hike late in the day (started around 3:00 PM), and was treated to good clouds, and setting sun. The first two pictures were taken near Mammoth Crest, looking North/North West.

My final destination for this trip was Mt. Langley, via Lake # 6.

I started early in the morning, departing Horseshoe Meadows at 4:30 AM. I wanted to reach the chute west of Lake # 6 before the snow bacame too soft.

I was making good time, so decided to stop by Muir Lake. Very nice. Check out the beach in the first photo.

Next, a shot of Old Army Pass with Lake 5 in the foreground, and Lake 4 in the background. As you can see, there was still a good bit of snow toward the top of the trail.

As I headed up toward Lake 6 I noticed a couple of interesting trees that I felt were photo worthy, so stopped to take pictures.

Much to my chagrin, I found myself in the middle of a bolder field, with no apparent exit. I did wander for quite a while, and finally realized that there was no way I could get to Lake # 6, and the chute up towards Mt. Langley, before it became quite warm. I need to check with So.BayMark to find the path. There were many cairns, but none of them seemed to lead anywhere. Most interesting.

Fortunately for me, I was focused on the journey, so no big deal that I would not reach my intended destination. Therefore, time to head back.

Final picture was taken on the way back to the Trail Head.

So, no "tick mark" by Mt. Langley, but a glorious day nonetheless.

Last edited by John Sims; 07/07/14 03:28 PM.
Re: It's the journey, not the destination
John Sims #38145 06/30/14 03:20 PM
S
S
Really beautiful pictures! Thanks!

Sounds like you had a good time.

Quote:
Much to my chagrin, I found myself in the middle of a bolder field, with no apparent exit. I did wander for quite a while, and finally realized that there was no way I could get to Lake # 6, and the chute up towards Mt. Langley, before it became quite warm.
I can't imagine how you could get lost in a boulder field. confused wink grin

Steve C #38149 06/30/14 05:07 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Really beautiful pictures! Thanks!

Sounds like you had a good time.

Quote:
Much to my chagrin, I found myself in the middle of a bolder field, with no apparent exit. I did wander for quite a while, and finally realized that there was no way I could get to Lake # 6, and the chute up towards Mt. Langley, before it became quite warm.

Exactly! sick AND, the thing is, the gmap4 image does not begin to give you a sense of the bolder sizes. Some are quite large, and prove to be barriers to travel cry

In any case, thanks for your comments on the pictures, and I did have a grand time. Let's not forget why we hike.

John Sims #38156 06/30/14 10:44 PM
N
N
AMAZING photos - thank you for sharing them!

Last edited by NoUglyOneYet; 06/30/14 10:44 PM.
John Sims #38210 07/02/14 06:37 AM
K
K
Fantastic views in your photos! Did you put a filter on the first one? Its absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, you echo my motto: Journey is my destination and enjoy every bit of it like its the last chance!

Steve C #38216 07/02/14 09:08 AM
Great photos John!

John, is that where you lost your left hip? grin

Krishna #38223 07/02/14 12:42 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Krishna
Fantastic views in your photos! Did you put a filter on the first one? Its absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, you echo my motto: Journey is my destination and enjoy every bit of it like its the last chance!

Hi Krishna,

No, I did not use a filter. The first two images were created using "exposure bracketing" to take multiple exposures. Then these images were merged in order to improve the dynamic range. When making adjustments in isolation (one photo at a time) you (or at least I) sometimes make adjustments that are a bit different than others. This was the case with the first image. I noticed that when I posted the images, so went back to the second image, and re-adjusted (leaving me out this time), and then merged the two photos to product a panorama. Following is the second photo re-adjusted, and then, voila, Le Piece de resistance.

Second image re-adjusted

Piece de resistance - If you go to the picture gallery and click on this image you will get a slightly larger version.

John

Last edited by John Sims; 07/02/14 12:44 PM.
63ChevyII.com #38224 07/02/14 12:46 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com
Great photos John!

Hi 63,

thanks

Actually, my left hip, my right shoulder, and other parts of my anatomy that shall go unspecified cry

John Sims #38225 07/02/14 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: John Sims
Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com
Great photos John!

Hi 63,

thanks

Actually, my left hip, my right shoulder, and other parts of my anatomy that shall go unspecified cry

LOL - I didn't notice the 'other' parts!

Last edited by 63ChevyII.com; 07/02/14 01:33 PM.
John Sims #38232 07/02/14 08:26 PM
S
S
Hi John.. First off nice pictures..Your second to the last picture of 2 trees I believe the one on the left is the one I look for when coming from 6th lake..I will be doing a overnite on Langley on 7-18 doing the shortcut(if all pans out).. call me with any questions 310-713-9157

This picture is taken from the lake below 6th lake(right below it) it has no name,go to the middle of the picture on your left side go in a inch and a half that is the boulder field and tree we head to when coming back down..

Tracie and I are coming down from shortcut(taking another shortcut) to 6th lake do you see the small lake below 6

So.BayMark #38251 07/03/14 09:53 AM
OP Offline
Hi Mark,

Thanks for following up. You can see my gps track at the following :
John's gps track

In the following picture you can see the location of the trees in my photo. South (I think) of your trees.

And finally, what I "guess" to be your route from the small lake to what I "guess" to be the trees referenced in your post.

So, the question I have for you is: How to get from my trees to your trees grin?

Last edited by John Sims; 07/03/14 09:54 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard