Next Thread
Print Thread
Double Check My Itinerary :)
#39982 08/27/14 11:43 AM
L
Lambecc Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My Mt. Whitney attempt is finally here. I'm going for a 2-3 day trip. September 2-4. I'm putting up my tentative game plan so some of the seniors can evaluate this to see if I'm missing anything major.

Hiking Plan
  • Tuesday - leave Horseshoe Meadows to head to Whitney Portal and start hike to Trail Camp. Set up camp and eat/sleep/acclimatize some more.
  • Wednesday - wake up. Trail Camp to summit attempt then back down to Trail Camp, pack up, and move on to Lone Pine lake and possible camp the night there. I read that this lake sees far less nighttime foot traffic through tent areas as opposed to the lake closer to the portal entrance. I'm hoping that there is a trail marker/sign, or something obvious, that points me on the right path to this lake. smile
  • Thursday - Lone Pine Lake to Portal. Find an awesome place to eat and celebrate.

Now here are my questions/concerns
  • I was able to find plenty of water information from various postings/resources on this site, so I don't have any immediate concerns. I am a water filter person so I'm carrying one. I keep reading that Trail Camp pond might be sketchy though, but with a filter I should be okay.
  • I'm using one Nalgene on the hike up and just refilling on the way. I'm bringing an empty 100ounce camelpack blister bag that I plan to fill up at Trail Camp and use it for my following day summit attempt. In my head this seems like a solid plan.
  • Do I need to worry about mosquitoes? I know this is lame, but I'm curious. I assume they're just at mild annoyance level near stagnant water sources such as the lower lakes?
  • I was curious about bear canister storage while at Trail Camp but found the answer to that among other posts: just pack up ALL SMELLABLES including food and put it slightly aside from your tent smile
  • I was curious about how realistic the marmot threat was at Trail Camp, but found that answer too: pack up all food and any item that has scent into your bear canister. Think about leaving tent completely unzipped and open so they can walk into it instead of chewing into it. Now does this mean that I should leave my sleeping pad and sleeping mat open and not packed up inside the tent? How safe/anal should I be about this.
  • I've been utilizing this weather site for updates (trying to be as prepared as possible).
  • I found advice that it is sometimes smart to collapse your Trail Camp tent, if you plan to leave it behind, while attempting your summit. Obviously due to high wind potential. I'm thinking this is a smart thing and should be done no matter what. Should I put a rock or two on it? smile
  • I'm spending 4 days at Aspendell 8500+ feet. Monday morning heading to Horseshoe Meadows as early as possible, with the goal of spending all day and night at 10k feet. If Horseshoe Meadows has no room, my back up is Onion Valley.
  • Is it possible Horseshoe Meadows might be 100% full. I mean is this a common thing?
  • I'm still deciding a good time to pack up at Horseshoe Meadows and drive to Portal.
  • I assume I park wherever I can park at Portal and I obviously need to pay some fee (I hope this is an obvious process) and I will make sure there is no food/scented items in my car and utilize a bear locker if I need too. I won't be leaving valuables in the locker if I need to use it.
  • I was slightly nervous about some of the trail after Trail Camp, meaning was the path obvious (this was due to various posts), but I think for the most part that uneasiness has been squashed. Just be smart and pay attention, not to mention there will probably be many other hikers out too. I do not plan on any nighttime hiking for this adventure.

This is wordy, I know, but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. I'm actually not a novice, but I'm entirely 100% new to this mountain and a huge believe of the whole prepared as possible bit.

Any pointers/advice is greatly appreciated and might possible make me remember some of my other questions.

Re: Double Check My Itinerary :)
Lambecc #39984 08/27/14 12:58 PM
For one, there is no camping at Lone Pine Lake.

There is NO FEE to park you vehicle. Just be sure you don't park in the DAY USE ONLY (near the falls).

As for the marmot threat, don't leave your tent and sleeping bag open. Marmots like to stay warm, too. You don't want a "warm fuzzy." They can also rip your sleeping bag to shreds just to get at the filling for their own personal use. Just don't eat in your tent and pack all scented items in your bear locker. Using rocks to secure your tent is a good idea.

As for the skeeters, I think they migrate from Alaska or Minnesota. Yes, they will be present at the lower elevations -- "green zone" (vegetation).

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #39985 08/27/14 01:16 PM
L
Lambecc Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Oooo I have to go back and research the lake camping then. I know I read that Outpost Camp see's a lot of foot traffic that clomps through the tent area. And then I read that camping elsewhere was actually more 'off the trail' and hardly any nighttime foot traffic.

Back to research on this. Honestly I thought the rule was camping is pretty much allowed anywhere as long as it's 100 feet away from a water source, with the exception of Bighorn Park Wetlands which I believe I read was actually truly off limits from camping.

Online information seems deliberately orientated towards making the reading believe that there are only two allowable places to put your tent down: Trail Camp and Outpost Camp.

+ @ti2d #39986 08/27/14 01:27 PM
L
Lambecc Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Oh... did I confuse Lone Pine Lake with Mirror Lake? smile

Lambecc #39987 08/27/14 02:45 PM
W
W
Camping at Lone Pine Lake is permissible with an overnight permit. There is some confusion because hiking to Lone Pine Lake does not need a permit for a day hike. Be sure to confirm when picking up your permit, as things change and web sites are not updated.

1. People are required to have an overnight permit to stay overnight in the Golden Trout, John Muir, Ansel Adams and Hoover Wildernesses. That means you need to get a Main Mt. Whitney Trail overnight permit to stay overnight at Lone Pine Lake since the lake is inside the John Muir Wilderness (the Whitney Zone is irrelevant in this case). Although most people hiking the main trail stay overnight at either Outpost Camp or Trail Camp, there are no additional restrictions when staying at Lone Pine Lake or Consultation Lake. Just camp at least 100 feet away from the lake and any established trails. Note: Camping is prohibited at Mirror Lake and Trailside Meadow.

Lambecc #39988 08/27/14 03:18 PM
Lambecc, a few thoughts on your itinerary:

Horseshoe Meadow campground is usually fairly empty during the weekdays. During a holiday week, possibly higher demand than normal but I doubt you'll get skunked. It's 30 minutes away from the Portal. Add another 30 minutes to gear up and futz around at the Portal. Arrange your getaway time from Horseshoe Meadow with this in mind.

You might be inclined to start later in the morning since you're only going to Trail Camp, but every time I've done that I've regretted it. You're in sun with a heavy pack, and it can be miserable in that canyon by 10:00 if it's a warm day.

If you're inclined to do 2 nights, why move on day 2 at all? You'll be tired from the summit trip - packing up, moving 3 miles and setting up camp again (just to pack up again the next morning) won't be any fun. Stay at TC and enjoy the satisfaction of what you just did, and cut out a camp set-up and break-down. Or better yet, avoid the TC ghetto altogether and camp on the Consultation Lake ledges. It's just 20 minutes below TC and infinitely more peaceful and beautiful. And the marmot problem is significantly less - a few pikas and mice are all I've ever seen. More info here .

Summit day - leave camp by 6:00 or earlier. That should get you to the summit and then back off the crest before a storm can brew up.

Key areas are pretty well signed, so I don't think you'll be mistaking one lake or camp for another. The section between Mirror Lake and Consultation Lake causes problems for some, but usually on the descent - pay attention. The trail on the western side of the crest is obvious - most of the way it's a steep ridge to one side and 1500 feet down on the other - not much room for confusion. A good map is advised, however. And be sure you don't take the JMT trail at the junction (a few hundred yards from Trail Crest). Happens more than it should.

Do not park in the day-use area of the Portal for an overnighter. Cars are being ticketed this year. If the other lots are full (remote chance during the week), use the roadside parking - plenty of it.

I like your acclimation plan. Eat, drink, pace yourself, and you should be golden if the weather allows. Best of luck.

Last edited by Bulldog34; 08/27/14 03:31 PM. Reason: Added Consultation Lake ledges info link.
Lambecc #39989 08/27/14 04:04 PM
Four days at Aspendell is a luxurious amount of acclimation. Take advantage of it, and go higher as much as you can, especially on days 3 and 4. Horseshoe is a great choice for the night before the climb.

Bulldog's advice is all right on, especially as to Consultation Lake instead of Trail Camp. You can always go to Lone Pine Lake if you feel really good after summitting, but it is a real pound down there from TC or CL, and much better done fresh in the AM. Everything else seems like exemplary planning. I wish more people on the trail were as prepared. Good work.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Lambecc #39990 08/27/14 05:24 PM
L
Lambecc Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Oh I like the advice. Good info.

I'm going to review/research it the next couple days. I'll probably post a question or two if I can't find the info.

Aspendell is the second home (family cabin) so its definitely a benefit. During those four days we plan some very lazy hiking/walking (realistically fishing) up near North Lake.

We just got done with another over-nighter to Hungry Packer Lake last weekend and we're looking at this week as a relax/recovery prior to Whitney.

This community is great. Lots of helpful info!

Lambecc #39993 08/28/14 09:32 AM
W
W
Itinerary is super. LPL is quieter and lower and should aid in getting a good night's sleep. I can't sleep all that well at 12,000'.

Filter...You should be ok anywhere. Most of the water I have taken from the pond is boiled for coffee and food...no filtering.

Amount of water...Take a bit more just in case you really screw up and are stuck up top. I have needed 5 L on a below freezing day but most times I am into my 4th L on the way down.

Mosquitoes...My guess they are gonzo. I have never had an issue with'm this late in the year.

Canister...It ain't bears; it's marmots you are protecting your food from and they are relentless.

Forecast...I use NOAA and I read the weather at Trail Crest. If it doesn't look right I head back down.

Tent...I have never collapsed a tent but I have guyed it out and filled it with rocks. I have seen tents tossed about at Outpost Camp.

Horseshoe Meadow...Never seen it full and there are so many places to stealth camp I would not worry about it.

The Trail...People get most exercised about areas that are not that dangerous and do just fine in areas that are. The most common problem is the between Trailside Meadow and Mirror Lake during the descent. Just stop at Trailside Meadow, dunk your head, soak your feet and be refreshed for the trip through it. I have walked off the trail most trips down...usually by a few feet. If find yourself in geographic ambiguity...STOP!!! and wait for others descending or ascending.

wbtravis #40028 08/30/14 05:23 PM
B
B
Just there - no mosquitoes at all. If you camp at Outpost Camp, suggest camping to the left of the trail,toward the waterfall so that the 11:30pm - 4am "day" hikers are less likely to wake you as they shout with joy as their headlights shine on the Outpost Camp sign. At Trail Camp we headed to the "green zone" on the little map we were given, and found a spot on a ledge to the left, above the trail, above the tarn/pond. More secluded, sheltered. Definitely secure all food / smellies / trash in your bear can - we saw what was clearly the marmot party tent as we walked into the area. Trash explosion. Tent looked OK though.

Barbara #40031 08/30/14 09:56 PM
S
S
> we saw what was clearly the marmot party tent as we walked into the area.

Would love to have a picture of that!

Re: marmot party tent...
Steve C #40046 08/31/14 09:03 PM
B
B
You know - party favors, lots of food, trash everywhere, and sleepy marmots in food comas sprawled on every rock... wish I had taken a picture for sure...

Link Copied to Clipboard