Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: San Gabriel Mountains National Monument?
Ken #40606 10/12/14 07:36 AM
D
D
@Ken The San Gabriel Mountain Range is NOT being 'exploited' They are not in 'need' of protection. The problem with this 'designation' is that it was done with no forethought or debate what so ever. Instead it was mere done using the stroke of a pen. The over use of executive power in this administration is a JOKE!

SierraNevada #40607 10/12/14 09:05 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: SierraNevada

I was thinking the same thing, WB. The Dept of Agriculture should focus on other things besides harvesting our national forests. Forests, they're not just for breakfast anymore.

Back during the last conflagration in the SoCal Traverse Range, the big thing was crown fires. The cause...forest that were too dense. Nothing has changed. There was some logging but it was trees dead from the bark bettle infestation...the cause here was drought and forests which were too dense.

There needs to be a coherent harvesting plan for the Traverse Range...which will never happen because the environmental groups will do what they to best.

Daves Not Here #40608 10/12/14 09:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Daves Not Here
@Ken The San Gabriel Mountain Range is NOT being 'exploited' They are not in 'need' of protection. The problem with this 'designation' is that it was done with no forethought or debate what so ever. Instead it was mere done using the stroke of a pen. The over use of executive power in this administration is a JOKE!

Actually, its more of a myth.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
wbtravis #40611 10/12/14 10:23 AM
Originally Posted By: wbtravis

Just like both side here think your use of the term Repug haters is inappropriate and childish.

Thank you for speaking up wbtravis.

Come-on guys, allow people to state there opinion on the subject at hand, even debate it with them, but don't try start an internet fight by using inappropriate terms.

[sorry for my little rant whistle ]

Joe the Hiker #40612 10/12/14 11:30 AM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Joe the Hiker
Come-on guys, allow people to state there opinion on the subject at hand, even debate it with them, but don't try start an internet fight by using inappropriate terms.

From my standpoint, there is already an indiscriminate amount of baiting from both sides here. The statements bashing one president on one side vs the statements bashing a particular party on the other. Y'all can keep it up if you like, but nobody is going to cause anyone to change their opinions. The SGMNM is a done deal, whether we like it or not, so fighting about it is pretty much an exercise in self-flagellation.

Everyone completely ignored my post above regarding the promotion the Alabama Hills as a National Scenic Area. If we all love the Mt Whitney area, shouldn't we get on board with Doug on this and work together, rather than throw darts at each others' views on which president or party is better or worse? How about it?

Why don't we help Doug move that proposal forward, since in involves the input of local groups rather than big outsider groups with their own agendas?

Steve C #40613 10/12/14 11:54 AM
Looking back at my visit to the Alabama Hills, I can agree that lots more needs to be done to protect that area better, and make it more visitor-friendly. I'm on board with Doug.

"Come and Let Us Climb the Lord's Mountain!" -Isaiah 2:5
Instagram: @jeesparza33

Steve C #40614 10/12/14 12:02 PM
Bee Offline
I don't believe that people were 'ignoring' your post, rather, they were continuing the intended discussion of the thread.

Yes. I am sure everyone here supports Doug. It would be more, um, effective, if people supported Doug as individuals (if you were looking for an umbrella WZ coalition...bad idea, considering history)

Yes, also, the SG designation is a done deal, but there IS definitely a descussion to be had about the mechanics of the decision and how a different approach could be had ala local movement. It means people have to get involved rather than line up to complain.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Steve C #40615 10/12/14 03:00 PM
Some links:

Official page:

http://www.fs.fed.us/visit/san-gabriel-mountains-national-monument

Fact sheet:

http://www.fs.fed.us//sites/default/files/media/2014/41/san-gabriel-fact-sheet.pdf

Q&A:

http://www.fs.fed.us//sites/default/files/media/2014/41/san-gabriel-faqs.pdf

Interesting enough, the link says that this national monument will be maintained by the forest service. The NM status will give the USFS the money it needs to properly maintain the San Gabriels. Cool!

edit by SteveC: Posts following this that continue to attack each other and argue politics have been deleted. I will continue to delete anything not supportive of positive action.

Last edited by Steve C; 10/13/14 09:46 AM.
Joe the Hiker #40623 10/13/14 10:40 AM
dbd Offline
Discussion of the San Gabriel region has been going on for decades. As just one example of the many processes that have been ongoing:
Originally Posted By: NPS
As directed by Congress in July 2003 (P.L. 108-042) , the National Park Service (NPS) completed a "special resource study" of portions of the San Gabriel River and its tributaries from the city of Santa Fe Springs to the north, and the San Gabriel Mountains within the territory of the San Gabriel and Lower Los Angeles Rivers and Mountains Conservancy. The area includes portions of the Angeles National Forest, as well as many communities along the San Gabriel River. Many people, organizations, and agencies are working to conserve resources in this area to provide recreational opportunities, habitat restoration, watershed improvement, and flood protection. This study builds upon and complements the efforts that are underway.

The NPS completed this task in April 2013 after a decade of soliciting public participation. This kind of study has defined the basis of the implementation that was signed off.

The discussions of the San Gabriel have involved many local and user groups that have spent years pushing towards what has finally been done. These are groups of people that participate in the political process up front, like Doug Sr in the Alabama Hills all these years.

And the process isn't over for people who care to be involved. How things will be affected in the San Gabriel is still to be determined. Now that a direction has been selected, attention can focus on the agency actually selected.

Dale B. Dalrymple

Joe the Hiker #40628 10/13/14 12:59 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
edit by SteveC: Posts following this that continue to attack each other and argue politics have been deleted. I will continue to delete anything not supportive of positive action.
=================================

Steve, just for clarification, does this mean that if a person holds an opinion that designating an area for increased protection (my interpretation of "positive action") is the wrong way to go, and they post that they don't favor the action and explain why, that you will delete their post?

Joe the Hiker #40632 10/13/14 04:04 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: SteveC

I must have missed something in this post; I only remember the links -- nothing political. Perhaps I had my "ignore this" filter on.

"Supportive of positive action". I am glad you are taking this on rather than me, because sometimes I cannot tell the difference!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Steve C #40648 10/14/14 05:24 PM
C
C
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Originally Posted By: Joe the Hiker

From my standpoint, there is already an indiscriminate amount of baiting from both sides here. The statements bashing one president on one side vs the statements bashing a particular party on the other. Y'all can keep it up if you like, but nobody is going to cause anyone to change their opinions. The SGMNM is a done deal, whether we like it or not, so fighting about it is pretty much an exercise in self-flagellation.

Everyone completely ignored my post above regarding the promotion the Alabama Hills as a National Scenic Area. If we all love the Mt Whitney area, shouldn't we get on board with Doug on this and work together, rather than throw darts at each others' views on which president or party is better or worse? How about it?

Why don't we help Doug move that proposal forward, since in involves the input of local groups rather than big outsider groups with their own agendas?

If this were Facebook, I'd "like" this post.

Last edited by CaliHawk; 10/14/14 05:24 PM.
CaliHawk #40652 10/14/14 10:54 PM
S
Steve C Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for that, CaliHawk.

So here we are, wishing we had a little more influence in the government. I have started a new thread, hopeful that people will support the AHNSA. I think this is a worthwhile endeavor for people to lend their support.

Alabama Hills National Scenic Area

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard