Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition
#56038 08/17/19 05:00 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Cottonwood -> Old/New Army Pass -> Mt. Langley -> Cottonwood

Hello, any recent updates on Old Army Pass or New Army Pass to Mt. Langley?

Thanks!

Re: Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition
MtWhitney2017 #56050 08/19/19 10:18 AM
F
F
I was up on New Army Pass on August 4th. The last switchback from the top of the pass is not passable. There is a large cornice in the way as always on a heavy snow year. However, if you stay to the right of the last switchback you will see cairns and the alternate route up New Army (snow free). As for the old Army Pass, I have no info other than it should be clear this late in the season. Langley looks very climbable - you wont need any special equip, (ice axe/crampons)

-Best

fit2climb #56053 08/20/19 01:03 PM
A
A
You can take NAP to the top and scramble around the snow/cornice. The route is relatively straightforward. No equipment necessary. I was also there Aug 4 and I'm sure there is significantly less snow now.

AdventureUSA #56058 08/20/19 09:13 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Great, thank you both.

We will be heading up Friday, camping that night near Long Lake or High Lake, and on Saturday over New Army Pass onto Mt. Langley and back to trailhead that evening.

Will provide an update when we return.

MtWhitney2017 #56076 08/22/19 09:58 AM
A
A
Camp at High Lake, much less people and very few mosquitos. When i was there we were the only group at High Lake and there had to have been 15 tents at Long Lake. You can camp straight West of the lake just North from the little stream. Wind protection, access to flowing water, less mosquitos.

AdventureUSA #56103 08/25/19 08:56 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Report on weekend trip:

8/23: Cottonwood Lakes Trailhead -> High Lake

Trail in excellent condition, few people, few mosquitos felt at Lake #1, one or two mosquitos felt at High Lake, not a problem.

8/24: High Lake -> New Army Pass -> Mt. Langley -> Old Army Pass -> Cottonwood Lakes Trailhead

New Army Pass: Trail in great condition, little snow at the top that required one step over, quick and easy, not a problem, few people, highly recommended.

Mt. Langley: Trail in great condition, no snow, plenty of loose gravel/sand, fair amount of people, incredible view, saw start of forest fire to the southwest.

Old Army Pass: Trail in terrible condition, fair amount of snow that required going around, loose rocks everywhere, surprised by the number of people going down the pass (including ourselves), not recommended at all, very slow pace.

Cottonwood Lakes: Trails in great condition, no mosquitos felt at Lake #4, few mosquitos felt at Lake #1.

Returned to Cottonwood Lakes Trailhead by 6pm, heavy forest fire smoke, ashes beginning to fall.

MtWhitney2017 #56104 08/25/19 09:01 AM
M
M
Thanks for the report. I will be up that way in a few weeks. Will have to keep an eye out on the fire situation.

MtWhitney2017 #56126 08/26/19 08:49 PM
K
K
Hello there, and thanks for posting your trip details. I've been scouring the hiking sites for information on doing a one day hike from the trailhead parking lot to the summit of mt. Langley, around September 11. It is my wife and myself, she will be carrying a small pack, with a 2 liter platypus for water, and I'll carry a normal size day pack with clothes, emergency items, headlamps, water filter, and food. Trying to pack as lightly as reasonable. Is bear spray recommended for this trail since it starts at 10,000 feet? How much water do you think should be consumed, and any strategy for making water vs. carrying say 2 liters each, and then refilling as needed from the lakes? Any water crossings? I see from the map that the trail may cross a creek 4 times. Are water shoes needed? Trying to convince my wife of the benefit of hiking with 2 poles, which is what helps me spread the weight off of my legs. Any thoughts? She has a strong preference to not hike at night, hence the carrying of 2 headlamps just in case, as well as starting off early, say at 5:30 a.m. Trying to gauge the weather but am thinking the temps could be as low as 40 at the trailhead in the morning to 75 there upon returning early evening to roughly freezing at the summit? We will have been at higher altitude, but not camping at high altitude for the previous 3 days. Altitude sickness is a crapshoot, I tend to not get it, but have never summited a 14er, or strenuously hiked above 12000 feet. any thoughts on avoiding AMS relative to this hike? We have some ideas on prevention. That's about it. I sure hope to hear back from you, and really appreciate any of your help. Cheers,

krusenvet #56127 08/26/19 09:52 PM
S
S
> We will have been at higher altitude, but not camping at high altitude for the previous 3 days

Your susceptibility to AMS partly depends on how many hours in the previous 3 days will you be above ~8k. Sleeping at altitude would help a lot. I always take half a 125 mg Diamox 2 times a day starting the day before hiking that high. It's a low dose, but can help.

I always hike with two hiking poles. Used to scorn them, but that was when I was younger.

Water: you only need a liter each until you leave the Cottonwood Lakes. Drink lots, half a pint to a pint per hour. Refill when you run out at the many water crossings. You won't need water shoes.

Good luck, have fun!

Steve C #56183 09/02/19 04:47 PM
T
T
While I know weather is darned near impossible to predict 4 weeks out, and providing it doesn’t snow before Oct 8, what is the weather ‘generally’ like in early Oct? I’ll be heading up to try Langley and am backpacking in to the Cottonwood lakes area for two nights. Highs and lows temp?

tollermom #56186 09/02/19 10:25 PM
S
S
Hey T-mom, I remember meeting you at Trail Crest!

You can view Cottonwood Lake temps on the link near the end of the Whitney Weather page. Past week has been 40-70.

Below the graph, change the ending date to Oct 6, 2018, and you can see last year's temps: 26-58

Steve C #56189 09/03/19 05:28 AM
T
T
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Hey T-mom, I remember meeting you at Trail Crest!

You can view Cottonwood Lake temps on the link near the end of the Whitney Weather page. Past week has been 40-70.

Below the graph, change the ending date to Oct 6, 2018, and you can see last year's temps: 26-58

Hi Steve, I remember also! You popped out of nowhere, we chatted zpacks, the forum connection and you took our pics. Still the greatest day. Thanks for the info on the weather. I had a last minute permit for Oct on Whitney (after I was skunked on the lottery) but switched it for an opening at Langley. Trying to be uber prepared as is my nature.

Link Copied to Clipboard