Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Corona Virus CV19: To hike or not to hike
SoCal Jim #56854 04/07/20 08:33 PM
L
L
Originally Posted By: SoCal Jim
I read yesterday that Mammoth Lakes is operating a check point somewhere on the road entering town. If you're not a resident, you're not allowed to enter.

I would question whether that is actually happening, and it's legality if it is. Non-resident are not allowed to enter and risk infecting residents, but residents are free to leave and infect people elsewhere? How could that possibly be justified?

Louie #56855 04/07/20 09:36 PM
S
S
I read this yesterday in the New York Times, California Today section. NYT isn't perfect, but they do kind of set the standard for journalism (unless you're into the fake news thing, but let's not go there). I just read it again and the story says the town is awaiting state approval. I agree with questions about the legality of many orders coming from governments. There's probably a wide variety in validity of legal do's and don'ts depending on powers granted by public health emergency declarations. And I'd guess not all officials are clear on what constitutes a legal public health directive, depending on the governmental entity. I'll leave all that to the lawyers. But I do think that if someone is doing something as stupid as participating in a social gathering as is still happening occasionally and receives a citation for it, the judge is likely to lean toward upholding public health and safety declarations, especially under current circumstances.

Louie #56856 04/07/20 10:05 PM
dbd Offline
Originally Posted By: Louie
Originally Posted By: SoCal Jim
I read yesterday that Mammoth Lakes is operating a check point somewhere on the road entering town. If you're not a resident, you're not allowed to enter.

I would question whether that is actually happening, and it's legality if it is. Non-resident are not allowed to enter and risk infecting residents, but residents are free to leave and infect people elsewhere? How could that possibly be justified?

As is usually the case these days, the news reports and the analyses of them are overly simplified.

Mammoth is no longer offering guest services so they do not need guests, maids and bartenders to come from out of town. They still need plumbers and electricians and other products and services that require travel.

It is still everyone's responsibility to try to avoid passing virus in any direction.

Dale B Dalrymple

dbd #56857 04/08/20 08:05 AM
B
B
Good news for California residents as governor Newsom has procured a massive supply of masks, mostly N95s, for the state. 200 million per month for 5 months. That's a billion masks and certainly enough for everyone. If they make it mandatory to wear a real mask (not just cloth face covering) whenever you visit a grocery store or ride public transportation, then that will go a long way in stopping the spread.

bruce #56858 04/08/20 10:03 PM
I'm lucky to still be working (from home) and being paid. And virus free (as far as I know).

Not being able to hike much is a problem, but I am getting bike rides and walks in around the neighborhood (I'm getting used to knowing where to go where I Don't run into too many people).

With the nice weather this weekend and still some nice snow coverage in Yosemite around Badger pass, I might have been headed there this weekend for some late winter backpacking, but naturally that is off the table now.

I'm probably going to bike to Mt Diablo and then do a long hike there. Since I'm not driving, it's allowed as long as I keep my distance from others.

It will depend on how things are in July and beyond, but I'm still planning my JMT trek for this summer. Most of the planning can be applied to next year, if need be.

I actually have a Glacier Point to Whitney permit for mid July and just landed a Happy Isles to Whitney permit in mid September in the lottery. That is a bit late and not what I was aiming for, but this year things might not be fully open to allow a JMT trek until that late. Mid August would be a NOBO from Cottonwood Pass as the third choice.

What kind of sucks for next year is I was planning on going to Japan and doing some hiking in the Japan Alps. The kicker: I didn't want to go this year due to the Olympics.

So the virus has already disrupted two years of my plans.

Hopefully I can salvage some of my plans for this year once the virus is under some kind of control.

But, yeah, if the local towns don't want me there, I'll stay away.

Louie #56859 04/09/20 08:38 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Here is a plea from Mono County to visitors:

https://webapps.mono.ca.gov/COVIDDocs//P...%20Visitors.pdf

Highway 203 into Mammoth Lakes is open with chain requirements. There has been a lot of heavy snow.

As we can see from the Mono County press release, it is still possible to enter Mammoth Lakes, but it is not encouraged. However, this situation might change as time goes on.

I'm not posting this in order to score posting points, but to attempt to point out the seriousness of the situation.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard