Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
2 registered (amit, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2975 Members
13 Forums
5035 Topics
47451 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#50296 - 06/23/17 09:02 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
From a report of an overnight hike, June 20-21, by Jim F:
He took the old trail up to the first stream crossing, to avoid crossing the North Fork Lone Pine Creek.
Here's the old trail location.

Jim F wrote:"Took the Old Trail (starting in back of the Portal Pond) to avoid having to cross the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek, which is indeed raging as others have reported. By the way, on the Old Trail a few switch backs have been "built" to bypass where the stump of the fallen tree has been obstructing passage for a number of years."

Of the log crossing he wrote:
(June 20): "The 11 logs at the Lone Pine Lake creek crossing were stable and provided dry passage. Stream crossings in Bighorn Park required getting feet wet."
(June 21) " one of the 11 logs at the crossing at Lone Pine Lake had floated off (again), requiring walking in the creek. Also noted was an appearance of mosquitos beginning at about Mirror Lake."

#50297 - 06/23/17 09:04 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: WhitneyHiker085]
Team NEGU Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Hi thank you so much for your reply. I was actually going to ask if coming back down the chute with an ice ax is dangerous? I am even nervous about wearing crampons really. Much less holding an ax. That scares me. Can I make it with just crampons and poles going up and coming back down? Thank you so much. I love this feed cause it's helping me prepare

#50299 - 06/23/17 10:03 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Vineet]
Amol Offline

Loc: California
Hello Vineet,

My 9 yo son, my wife and I will also be climbing up (Portal to trail camp) on Sunday June 25th. Based on our condition and our feel about the Chute, we may or may not hike up to the summit the following day Monday June 26th. We are first timers to Mt Whitney. We'll not be able to offer any expert advice but could definitely say hello to you smile

#50301 - 06/23/17 10:10 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: adventurer456]
Amol Offline

Loc: California
Hello Andrew,

My 9 yo son, my wife and I will also be climbing up (Portal to trail camp) on Sunday June 25th. We are moderate hikers and not in our 20s smile. Based on our condition and our feel about the Chute, we may or may not hike up to the summit the following day Monday June 26th. We are first timers to Mt Whitney. We'll not be able to offer any expert advice but could definitely say hello to you smile May be you could give us some advice about the chute. My wife is definitely inundated by the chute.

-Amol

#50308 - 06/23/17 12:03 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
JedHiker Offline

Loc: Bishop
All of those rocks are under 6" of roiling water as of 6/19/17 and probably getting worse.
You need to locate the stones with your hiking pole and literally walk on water.
Those going up in the next week or so should start at the Portal in camp shoes and change into your hiking boots after the crossing.
Jed

#50309 - 06/23/17 12:55 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: JedHiker]
Yueming Offline

Loc: Utah
Hi, our group plan to hike in next Saturday, I plan to use old trail to avoid crossing the north fork creek, but we still have to cross the log, do you think the log will be able to help us cross the rive with dry feet? Or we still need to plan to get wet at lone pine lake? (I heard the log has been rushed down so many times). And people also says that it'll also get wet too near bighorn park, is it that bad there? Thanks a lot!

#50310 - 06/23/17 03:23 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Yueming]
Steve C Offline

From what I have seen, you should plan on wading in the water at the two places you mentioned. Consider yourselves lucky if you don't need to.

Take extra socks, maybe even lightweight shoes to wear through the water.

#50317 - Yesterday at 12:51 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
dustin Offline

Loc: ca
hi guys, me and a few friends are going to hike Whitney this July 2-5th. I was hoping some people could give a little insight on " the chute" since I hear that the main trail on the switch backs is covered in snow. is " the chute" easy to follow, and can people who are inexperienced in snow travel safely traverse it? we all have crampons and hiking poles but opted out on the ice axes because odds are if the situation requires ice axes not to die we will pass. anyways, we've been looking forward to this trip for a while and I would hate to not be able to make the summit. don't get me wrong, I love a good challenge and I'm looking forward to seeing this " chute", but it sounds a little intimidating and I'm not sure the comfort level for the rest of my group with something like this. thanks- Dustin

#50318 - Yesterday at 08:30 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Amol]
adventurer456 Offline

Loc: adventurer456
Hi Amol,

Great. Go ahead and shoot me a text when you see this 3103184551.

I'll be starting my hike 1am on Sunday from the portal, will be at the chut around 7 am, so maybe I see you on the way down. Done the chute once before and would be happy to explain my experience and give out a few pointers. Ice chute - ice axe, helmet, and crampons are a must though.

Hope to say hello there.

Andrew

#50319 - Yesterday at 07:18 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
boomboomgopro Offline

Loc: ny
hi I'm new here and just testing how i comment here. I'm only wearing trail crampons, and i think ill be ok up the chute. next week.

#50333 - Today at 10:54 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4