Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 82 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3402 Members
10 Forums
5333 Topics
49274 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Interested in nearby hikes? by G4u2 @ Yesterday at 04:09 PM

I was thinking of summiting Mt Whitney from Portal and then heading down towards Guitar Lake. I would like to go to the Crabtree lakes, but I'm not sure how the conditions of that trail are. I'm flexible after Mt Whitney though. Thanks
General Discussion
Report here. "A hiker died after falling from the Half Dome cables in Yosemite National Park Monday afternoon."
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Almost to the Summit by David Miles @ Yesterday at 12:13 PM

I have found a little piece of Tyvek tape works great as a permanent patch. If you are driving by Ridgecrest sometime, swing by and I'll fix you up with a tiny patch kit.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Rayna @ Yesterday at 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: WhitneyHiker085Thanks Rayna, for the info. Will definitely have my crampons ready. Hiking up this weekend. Hopefully the weather is favorable. Have a fantastic hike!!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta by CanadianGirl @ Yesterday at 10:50 AM

Hello... no I am not going up for a few weeks. I did have friends that went up to NAP on May 19th and encountered pretty clear conditions to NAP with the patches of snow they post-holed through but nothing to require gear. A storm rolled in above t
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta by MuffenMan @ Yesterday at 08:53 AM

Hi CanadianGirl...did you go up Langley? Conditions? Cornice? etc... I am going Memorial Day Weekend. Any information you can provide will be helpful. Thanks!
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Sweaty feet, wool v. cotton socks by KevinR @ Yesterday at 06:35 AM

I've been using sock liners for 20+ years. I use polypro in warm weather, and Smart Wool liners in winter. The Smart Wool are a bit thicker than the 'regular' polypro, and but more importantly, add about 10-15 degrees of warmth to an insulated boot
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Almost to the Summit by So.BayMark @ Yesterday at 04:58 AM

Hi Dave bivy is working out good I've only got one hole in it and used my therm arest patch kit last year to fix it... Rocks have been good holding down the tent no problems. thanks mark
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by Steve C @ 05/21/18 10:13 PM

After he was blocked on wpsmb, he decided it was time to change his pastime to other areas. Unfortunate.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Jessica by John Sims @ 05/21/18 09:50 PM

First woman pony express rider to cross Australia unassisted?
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Jessica by wagga @ 05/21/18 08:17 PM

I have some new stories, still getting pics, etc together. Here is a preview.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by WhitneyHiker085 @ 05/21/18 04:41 PM

Thanks Rayna, for the info. Will definitely have my crampons ready. Hiking up this weekend. Hopefully the weather is favorable.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Rayna @ 05/21/18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Jose De La RosaReyna, Thanks for posting your experience, very helpful and simple! Just what this is about!!!! Thank you, Jose!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Rayna @ 05/21/18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: WhitneyHiker085Glad you and your team made it back down safely! Question - how are the conditions from Trail Crest to the Summit? Did you need microspikes for the last leg from TrailCrest to Summit? Any sketchy areas? Climbed
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by + @ti2d @ 05/21/18 02:14 PM

Whatever happened to VersatileFred?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by WhitneyHiker085 @ 05/21/18 01:23 PM

Glad you and your team made it back down safely! Question - how are the conditions from Trail Crest to the Summit? Did you need microspikes for the last leg from TrailCrest to Summit? Any sketchy areas? Climbed last year via Chute around July last
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Jessica by John Sims @ 05/21/18 11:13 AM

Epic post Wagga! Interesting that the post morphed from "the youngest woman to attempt an around the world sail unassisted", (with many stops along the way) to "the oldest women to attempt an around the world sail unassisted". S
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Jose De La Rosa @ 05/21/18 10:17 AM

Reyna, Thanks for posting your experience, very helpful and simple! Just what this is about!!!!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Rayna @ 05/21/18 09:19 AM

Just got back from a day hike on Saturday, May 19th. When we got to the chute around 8:45am a lot of folks were turning back due to an imminent storm. By the time we got to the top (around 10:00am), things looked clearer so we kept going up to the
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by wbtravis @ 05/21/18 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: SierraNevadaWBT, as you can see from the disclaimer, I also have reservations about including YouTube. But this is the world we're living in now, so I'm going to wait for more opinions on this one. I hope others weigh in on it.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by SierraNevada @ 05/21/18 07:15 AM

They also "jettisoned" a long thread about waste management (toilets and wag bags). Thanks to Steve, we have a place to discuss these things.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Jessica by wagga @ 05/21/18 03:52 AM

Bump.