Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (britonwhit(ney)), 10 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3294 Members
13 Forums
5364 Topics
49712 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Baldy / San Bernadino Peak in mid/lateApril by nyker @ Yesterday at 07:54 PM

Hmm ok thanks all. Wow, no snow currently on Baldy. Also, how would the road conditions be to get to either? trailhead, assuming the "standard routes"- Even if there is no meaningful snow on the peaks, would there be anything seeping/melt
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Missing Person Alert Yosemite 2/21 by Maverick @ Yesterday at 11:58 AM

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17762
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Baldy / San Bernadino Peak in mid/lateApril by Snacking Bear @ Yesterday at 09:39 AM

Baldy will likely be snowless in April, pending a miracle. Any snow this winter has been less than 2-3 inches, and it burns off within days. I summitted on Sat and it was snow-free. I can see Baldy from my street, and I've summitted over 30 times ov
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Baldy / San Bernadino Peak in mid/lateApril by britonwhit(ney) @ Yesterday at 09:24 AM

From sgwa.org: "Free Wilderness permits are not required for day hikes, but they are highly recommended as a safety precaution for anyone going into one of San Bernardino National Forestís eight wilderness areas."
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Baldy / San Bernadino Peak in mid/lateApril by futbol @ Yesterday at 09:03 AM

We plan to hike up Mt San Gorgonio next week. As I understand, a permit is required. I was able to get a permit via email (using their editable PDF application) within one business day, although they say to expect it within 4-5 business days. You
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Why I Backpack essay/ blog by + @ti2d @ Yesterday at 08:55 AM

John Muir would concur with your assessment.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Baldy / San Bernadino Peak in mid/lateApril by britonwhit(ney) @ Yesterday at 07:55 AM

The route I did was a loop starting from Momyer up the road to vivian Ck, then up the normal trail to Gorgonio - I've just found the description I used which is pretty much precisely the route I took: https://www.summitpost.org/san-gorgonio-9-peaks-c
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Baldy / San Bernadino Peak in mid/lateApril by nyker @ Yesterday at 07:09 AM

I have thought of the traverse, but figured that might be a tough one day trip in Spring snow, unless conditions are more summerlike. Is that the route you did in October? Was it dry?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Baldy / San Bernadino Peak in mid/lateApril by britonwhit(ney) @ Yesterday at 06:27 AM

I think San Bernardino & Gorgonio wilderness permit requirements were dropped last year - I certainly didn't get/need one when I went up in October, tho' parking permit was required. Have you considered the Gorgonio/Bernardino 9 peak traverse. I
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Why I Backpack essay/ blog by Steve C @ 02/20/18 11:35 PM

Ilya: Thank you! A friend has already asked me to email him the text so he can forward it.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Mt Baldy / San Bernadino Peak in mid/lateApril by nyker @ 02/20/18 08:08 PM

I've never climbed Mt Baldy and have only been up that way a while ago in late Fall and was more around Big Bear. On average, seems like I should expect snow, at least on the upper reaches of Baldy in mid/late April. Is that a fair assessment for th
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Why I Backpack essay/ blog by Snacking Bear @ 02/20/18 02:45 PM

Good words, thanks for sharing! I too appreciate the simplicity that backpacking provides. Keep rambling!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Why I Backpack essay/ blog by illyav @ 02/20/18 09:01 AM

Hello, I want to share this essay/ blog I wrote about why I backpack every summer: Why I Backpack Iíve been asked why I regularly go on backpacking trips instead of just enjoying nature by simply campingóthe whole point is to relax and unwind right
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Cool Videos by illyav @ 02/20/18 08:53 AM

Hi all, I've seen topics on other forums about what people read and what music/ audio books people listen to on the trail so I wanted to share this spoken word poem I made that covers the sort of things I think about often when alone on the trail. (