Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
3 members (markanthonydj, Goose, PeteK.), 35 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics5,918
Posts53,292
Members4,139
Most Online1,443
Jul 29th, 2019
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Recreation.gov Mt. Whitney cancellation markanthonydj 07/09/20 12:52 AM
Horseshoe meadows is a great option if you want to do some acclimation.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recarea/?recid=20700
8 184 Read More
Whitney Hiking Tips and Mountain Safety Ian B 07/08/20 07:49 PM
Since Whitney season is now in full swing, here are some friendly tips and reminders on mountain safety from Inyo County Search and Rescue (www.inyosar.com), a local all-volunteer non-profit organization:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
0 59 Read More
Trip Reports Jump to new posts
Re: White Mountain Peak, Almost Goose 07/08/20 07:41 PM
It took me about 40 minutes to cover the unpaved portion in each direction. It sounds much worse than it actually was.
2 254 Read More
Re: Trail Conditions? Micro Spikes? chtrich 07/08/20 03:56 PM
I have a permit for July 18. I'm curious how the conditions were this past weekend?
1 269 Read More
Re: Mountaineer's Route 7.4.20 to 7.6.20 G4u2 07/08/20 04:35 AM
Thanks for the info! Do you have any pictures of the "easy walk off"? It would be nice to see how much ice/snow is left. Good to hear you made OK without crampons. A couple fatal accidents happened around that area in the last couple of years. I'm going on the 28th, so I'm hoping to do the same as you did, but hopefully with no snow.
1 119 Read More
Resupply at Woods Creek Bridge Johnny Utah 07/08/20 03:22 AM
I am planning a resupply dunnage drop at Woods Creek Bridge on 8/27. I'll be using approximately 20-25 lbs of the 100 pound limit. If that date/location works for you let me know and we can split the cost.
0 80 Read More
Re: Face Masks - Recent Studies ariel 07/08/20 12:47 AM
"......breathing in your own CO2 during a strenuous hike in the sunshine and fresh air is dangerous to their health."
Hike when it's cloudy and smoggy. Your CO₂ will be healthy under those circumstances.
15 928 Read More
Re: Do we need bear cannisters for hiking? ariel 07/08/20 12:31 AM
From the Inyo National Forest website:
"In eight specific areas it is mandatory to store food and refuse in a container designed to prevent access by bear.
Bear-resistant food storage containers are required in the following areas in Inyo National Forest:
Bishop Pass Area,
Cottonwood Lakes Basin/ Cottonwood Pass Area,
Duck Pass / Purple Lake Area,
Fish Creek Area,
Kearsarge Pass Area,
Little Lakes Valley Area,
Mammoth Lakes / Rush Creek Area,
Mount Whitney Area"
4 125 Read More
Re: High Sierra Trail condition/uncertainty PartyBus 07/07/20 11:44 PM
We completed the High Sierra Trail 1-6 July 2020. Great conditions across the entire trail. Mosquitoes are out--so bring a bug headnet and seriously consider a stronger form of deet/similar product. The trail up from Precipice Lake all the way across the Kaweah Gap and down the switchbacks is snow free. Big Arroyo is easy to cross (we crossed on rocks without getting wet at all late in the day at 7pm), and they have repaired the trail damage from 2018 that washed out the first 400m or so of trail up from Big Arroyo Junction. They also added a small switchback about a mile from Big Arroyo Junction as you head towards the Kern to avoid a wash out of the trail, again from 2018.
The weather was mild--about 40 in the mornings, 65-75 throughout the day--though the direct sun does get very hot and will feel like 80 degrees.
Horseshoe Meadows and the Portal are both open, and the roads and trails completely unobstructed. Water sources remain abundant, stream crossings are much easier now (we didn't have to make a single 'wet' crossing this time; in June 2018 there were a couple).
5 617 Read More
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail PartyBus 07/07/20 11:35 PM
We summitted yesterday (6 July 2020) coming up from Guitar Lake and then hiking down the switchbacks to the Portal Store (amazing cheeseburgers and fries again!). On the western side (coming up from Guitar Lake), there is no snow at all on the switchbacks to Trail Crest. On the ridge crest trail to the summit, there were three very short patches of 10-20 feet. One was somewhere in the first mile from Trail Crest to the summit--the snow comes over the path but still leaves more than enough space for you to walk on the trail without touching the snow. It is melting rapidly and likely won't be there long if the weather holds. The other two patches are found as you begin to loop around the summit base, around 1.5 mi from Trail Crest--one is only a few feet, the other is about 20 ft. or so. It was easily passable simply by walking in the footsteps from previous hikers, no microspikes required.

On the switchbacks, it was very similar. Around the 55th switchback (same location as shown in the picture above) coming down from Trail Crest there is a wall of snow, but there is now enough snow-free path to easily hike up/down without any issues.

The entire trail, west up to Trail Crest, to the summit, and back down the switchbacks all the way to the Portal Store is also free of any kind of damage that would obstruct your progress for anybody wondering about any issues relating to earthquake.
13 583,289 Read More
Re: Water filter recommendations WanderingJim 07/07/20 09:35 PM
I use the Sawyer Squeeze filter, but not the squeeze bags. I put in inline on my Camelbak. So I just suck my water through it. I can also use it to fill my cooking pot (although it takes a little coaxing to get it to squeeze that through).
5 394 Read More
Re: Fishing potential on trail dbd 07/07/20 08:38 PM
An interesting document on eastern sierra back country fishing is:

Eastern Sierra Back Country Fishing Guide

at:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5410679.pdf

It covers Horseshoe Meadows to Bridgeport. The only addition I would make for the Lone Pine Creek area is that Mirror Lake has both brooks and rainbows.

For seeing fish along the trail, there are usually rainbows at the big log crossing of Lone Pine Creek just below the Lone Pine Lake turnoff and in the fall brooks spawn in the creek along the trail just before it climbs out of Bighorn Park.

My favorite is Mirror Lake with it's population of wild brooks and rainbows.

Dale B. Dalrymple
10 387 Read More
Re: Quick question about Whitney Portal Campground reservations Cal 07/07/20 07:24 PM
Thank you!
2 189 Read More
Re: Whitney MR question Ian B 07/07/20 06:36 PM
Beware of loose rock on the MR, especially as things melt out. There was a bad accident last August: Mountaineers Route Broken Leg (Inyo SAR). A large boulder rolled over a climber, breaking their leg in a nasty way.

The CA National Guard had to inch their Chinook into the gully to hoist the patient out. Amazing flying, to say the least!
[Linked Image]
19 706 Read More
Re: Parking Permit At Portal JimC 07/07/20 04:46 AM
None required. Just make sure you park in one of the overnight parking sections and not the day use sections if you are backpacking overnight.
1 147 Read More
Re: Bear Canisters aif87 07/07/20 03:48 AM
Perfect! Thanks for the info!
2 135 Read More
Re: Mt. Whitney Alternative Challenge StorminMatt 07/07/20 03:27 AM
As has been said, for the average Whitney hiker, the only realistic options are White, Langley, and Shasta. White Mountain is not really an alternative to Whitney. It’s just too easy. Although it is by no means a shabby area, it is more of a hike that you do alongside Whitney for acclimation.

Langley is probably the closest thing in terms of the challenge. Altitude gain is less, but distance is comparable. There is an actual trail much of the way to the top. It is only near the summit where there is no trail and you have to follow cairns. But this isn’t too difficult.

Shasta can actually be quite a good alternative. Admittedly, many Whitney hikers would find Avalanche Gulch daunting. But there is always Clear Creek. It is often said that there is no trail up Shasta. But when the snow melts, Clear Creek can be climbed virtually all the way to the summit on good use trails. So yes, Shasta CAN be a trail hike. Of course, it is a good deal steeper than Whitney. And altitude gain is significantly greater (about 7800ft on Clear Creek). But Clear Creek without snow is entirely doable by ANYONE who can summit Whitney by the main trail.

Other than these three, the only California 14ers that MIGHT be doable by your average Whitney hiker would be Split Mountain or Mount Tyndall. Elevation gain for both is higher than Whitney - similar to Mount Shasta via Clear Creek. But both are significantly more technical than Shasta. And Tyndall via Shepherd Pass is just LONG. However, these COULD be doable.
5 464 Read More