Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3694 Members
10 Forums
5549 Topics
50844 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Reference
Jump to new posts Older Trail Conditions - Mt Whitney Trail, 2019 by Steve C @ 03/17/19 09:38 PM

Out-of-date Mt Whitney Trail Conditions -- 2019 The posts below have been moved from the main Current Conditions thread for trail reports during 2019. (Posts are moved periodically after they no longer represent current c
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ 03/17/19 09:32 PM

First hike reported from the Main Trail, 2019. March 15-17, 2019. Reported on FB by James W. Two on skis, two with snowshoes. On Whitney Portal Road Bighorn Park / Outpost Camp. They spent night 1 here. Climbing, below Trail Camp Night #2
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by Steve C @ 03/17/19 11:34 AM

Such an unfortunate situation. I sure hope his family can find peace. I am sure all here send their condolences.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by Splash @ 03/16/19 04:43 PM

Iniciweb has announced they are cutting back the active search. They won't be making any more updates unless warranted: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6272/ "Search and rescue authorities have been unable to locate evidence of Kraftís loc
General Discussion
Thanks, Steve. Also I want to say thank you for being so active here on WZ. I have learned a tremendous amount from reading your posts over the last several years, as I'm sure countless lurkers have as well!
General Discussion
From the paper: Quote:The final variable with a significant relationship to AMS was the ingestion of analgesics, which included aspirin, acetaminophen, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. As in our summit study (27), analgesics use was associat
General Discussion
Jump to new posts "Mt Whitney: Determinants of Summit Success and AMS" by sumptimwong @ 03/15/19 01:28 PM

Getting excited to plan our first trip to MW, and stumbled upon this very interesting scientific paper in the process. It was published in 2008 by Dr. Dale Wagner (Utah State University) et al. https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/fullt...ess_and.15.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by sumptimwong @ 03/15/19 01:06 PM

Last day to submit your lottery applications, good luck everyone!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by pcieluch @ 03/15/19 06:15 AM

That pic of the Muir Hut with the guy standing next to it really shows how much snow is up there.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by Jonathan C @ 03/15/19 12:14 AM

> Definitely seems like my first assumption was correct and there is no harm in putting your minimum group size at 1. I suggest you call tomorrow (the 15th). If you get an answer on the phone and it turns out your assumption is wrong, you still h
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by MTtoCA @ 03/14/19 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Jonathan C"I'm assuming here they check each of the 15 dates for your max group size first and then check each date for max group size - n, etc. Not check your first date choice for any possible group size in your range, th
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by bobpickering @ 03/14/19 08:00 PM

Thanks, Steve. I knew you would have the answer. Now that Iím 70, Iím thinking about climbing the CA 14ers one more time. That means one or two more trips to the Whitney Zone, but I may go off-season or get a mid-week walk-in to avoid the lottery
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by Splash @ 03/14/19 04:50 PM

Hereís one of the latest photos released today. Group skied up from the trailhead at the Campground https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/photograph/6272/1/91033 If only Lt Kraft has this kind of weather on his trip
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by Splash @ 03/14/19 04:34 PM

White Mountain Peak is at the level of Mammoth, so itís about 50 miles north of Onion Valley Road. Not sure where that is - might be in Death Valley.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by Steve C @ 03/14/19 03:36 PM

I found the answer in last year's lottery discussion: ...you can load up on multiple trips. It's only in the lottery that you're only allowed one entry. You can grab open slots during the April 1 free-for-all mini-sale, and any other time when ope
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by Steve C @ 03/14/19 03:15 PM

Splash, thanks for the note. That picture is pretty amazing: Is that White Mountain across the Owens Valley? I thought it was much farther north. Click this link to open in a new window -- full size. Then click the picture again to expand to ma
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by bobpickering @ 03/14/19 03:02 PM

Sorry for complicating this, but it seems legitimate for someone to want to do two trips to the WZ in the same year. Maybe one to climb Whitney (and possibly Muir) and one to climb Russell. It seems reasonable to apply for the main trail with sever
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by Splash @ 03/14/19 01:03 PM

Inicweb has been adding information about the search areas in the text of the incident report, without using addendums. Theyíve also been adding some good photos. Theyíve visited Muir Hut by copter and today are planning to go to Big Pothole La
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by Maverick @ 03/14/19 12:56 PM

Quote:The inciweb has updated once each day, but I have not seen any posting with any news at all. That's because unfortunately there is nothing new to report.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by heatpro @ 03/14/19 11:13 AM

Thank you for clarifying. That is kind of strange that there are over 10,000 entries this year with (1 entry limit) compared to 16,000 last year during which I am sure most people were submitting multiple entries.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by Steve C @ 03/14/19 10:04 AM

heatpro: Inyo implemented that policy last year. Before that, multiple entries did increase your chances. Don't do it now, I think it will completely remove all your applications.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by pcieluch @ 03/14/19 09:13 AM

Thanks for the link, its a great video of the trip. I've looked at the guided trips they offer in late April or May but the cost is way to steep for me. That video made the trip look at lot easier that I'm sure it is.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2019 Whitney Lottery / Permits by heatpro @ 03/14/19 08:49 AM

Steve, can you confirm about the "Submit only one application. Groups that submit multiple applications will be rejected from the lottery" I was under the impression, which I have also done in the past that you can purchase multiple ticket
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by Splash @ 03/14/19 06:47 AM

This is the Utube that Andrew Bentz & Co did in April 2017. They both have A LOT OF EXPERIENCE in this area (Bentz had record for fastest JMT unsupported at 3 d 10 hr 59 min). Looks idyllic, but conditions were very different than Lt Kraft fa
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Person Alert SEKI 3/8 by pcieluch @ 03/14/19 06:16 AM

Anyone out there know how long it takes to ski the SHR? I've seen a few Utubes on the trip done late April or into May. He was doing it in 10 days. 20 miles a day on that route in the summer months is daunting. Can one really do that many miles a
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >