Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (wagga), 6 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3400 Members
10 Forums
5332 Topics
49252 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Jessica by wagga @ 11 minutes 44 seconds ago

Bump.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Ice Axes and Crampons by wagga @ Yesterday at 11:52 PM

I recommend that anybody untrained person planning to take an ice axe out in steep snow just lookup "Caltrop" - not the weed.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by wagga @ Yesterday at 11:39 PM

Some of you already know this, but WhitneyZone was created when another site jettisoned the "How Not To Die On Whitney" posts. They were saved and are still here. The real object of this forum is still "How Not To Die On Whitney".
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Shasta for late May or early June? by wagga @ Yesterday at 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SierraNevadaMinor correction there, Willy Dog. The toilets at Shasta Horse Camp are nice composting toilets, not pit toilets. They're typically very clean and function really well without the smell of a pit toilet - better than
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Shasta for late May or early June? by chicagoan @ Yesterday at 05:57 PM

Mt Shasta summit attempt a few days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKEE_jN31no I will be there in June 2-4th. This looks very tough
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Shoes? by WanderingJim @ Yesterday at 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob WestTry sandals or barefoot. My Irish friends hike all year in sandals - in Ireland. When I went over Kersarage Pass last year,there was a guy hiking up barefoot. I don't think I'd ever do that, but if it works for them i
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by SierraNevada @ Yesterday at 04:13 PM

Books added, Valiseverywhere. Totally agree with adding Croft and Richins. Not sure how much Elizabeth Wenk covers this topic, but she writes a good guidebook.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by SierraNevada @ Yesterday at 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: valiseverywhereAlso, a link to the local avalanche forecast would be good. Should this be Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center , or there are closer observations? Added the Eastern Sierra Avalanche link - good idea.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by SierraNevada @ Yesterday at 03:58 PM

WBT, as you can see from the disclaimer, I also have reservations about including YouTube. But this is the world we're living in now, so I'm going to wait for more opinions on this one. I hope others weigh in on it.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by valiseverywhere @ Yesterday at 03:37 PM

Also, a link to the local avalanche forecast would be good. Should this be Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center , or there are closer observations?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by valiseverywhere @ Yesterday at 03:23 PM

Under books, I would add: Mount Whitney Complete Trailhead to Summit Guide, Paul Richins Jr Climbing Mt. Whitney, Peter Croft One Best Hike: Mount Whitney, Elizabeth Wenk Mount Whitney: Mountain Lore from the Whitney Portal All th
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Shoes? by Bob West @ Yesterday at 03:17 PM

Try sandals or barefoot. My Irish friends hike all year in sandals - in Ireland. Another friend, a 100 pound lady, backpacks barefoot for the entire hiking season, from now until October. She carries flip-flops for rocky or ice terrain. Locals call
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Interested in nearby hikes? by mbs17 @ Yesterday at 02:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to DM me (I think you can do that on here?) and let me know what kind of difficulty you are looking for and maybe I could offer some suggestions!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by wbtravis @ Yesterday at 02:12 PM

I would delete the youtube. I don't know how many people I have spoken to have said after being asked, "Have you had any basic snow skills training?"..."I watched a youtube video." This I have seen what this has led to...and it a
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Interested in nearby hikes? by G4u2 @ Yesterday at 12:39 PM

Hello mbs17, I think you are absolutely right. It would be very helpful to have such a guide. I myself am going to Mt. Whitney in June and wanted to see what else I could do nearby after summiting. Thanks!
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Almost to the Summit by David Miles @ Yesterday at 11:54 AM

Mark, That is a very nice looking bivy! How is it holding up with the rocks on top? Dave
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Interested in nearby hikes? by mbs17 @ Yesterday at 09:47 AM

I am trying to get a general idea if anyone would be interested in a hiking guide for hiking other mountains in the Eastern Sierra that are similar in difficulty to Mt. Whitney. I know it is extremely difficult to get a permit to hike Whitney and tha
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Ice Axes and Crampons by wbtravis @ Yesterday at 09:31 AM

Bob, I have been involved in hiker safety in SoCal for many years. I consider Mt. Whitney to be Mt. Baldy North. Whatever foolishness you see on Mt. Baldy travels north to Mt. Whitney in the spring. It seems most every year any more, I have been i
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by SierraNevada @ 05/19/18 04:05 PM

I added it under Miscellaneous. "Never never" is pretty strong, but yeah, many people get hurt or killed doing it wrong.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by Bob West @ 05/19/18 03:30 PM

Add the dangers of glissading: http://blog.alpineinstitute.com/2008/08/dangers-of-glissading.html My climbing partners and I would never, never glissade off a mountain. We always walked down, with ice axe at the ready if a self-arrest was necessary
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by SierraNevada @ 05/19/18 12:56 PM

Hey Bob, I'm hoping people add to this list before Steve locks it as a "sticky thread" someplace. My quick effort was just a first cut at it. For example, we should add Inyo Mission Reports I edited my post to add more depth. Hoping
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by Bob West @ 05/19/18 12:41 PM

Thanks for the follow up. Can these threads be added to the "Please Read" thread so that they stay permanently?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by Steve C @ 05/19/18 09:50 AM

Stories of problems on Mt Whitney:   What can go wrong on Whitney
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Ice Axes and Crampons by Steve C @ 05/19/18 09:49 AM

Nice work, SierraNevada. I appreciate the time you spent finding the links. I'll put a link the "Links for Safe Mountaineering" thread in the reference. In fact, I will replace the "what can go wrong" link in the Feature Topics
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Links for Safe Mountaineering by SierraNevada @ 05/19/18 08:38 AM

This thread is a follow up to Bob West's suggestion, from another thread, that the Whitney Forum post more safety information related to mountaineering on steep snow/ice. Please feel free to contribute information and comments targeted for anyone cl
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >