Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
3 registered (epichiker, WanderingJim, Kumar12), 12 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3189 Members
13 Forums
5243 Topics
48933 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Conditions on Shepherd pass (Williamson/Tyndall)? by epichiker @ 12 minutes 21 seconds ago

@KaraKyrgyz Yes, we were the couple coming behind you! We initially struggled with the altitude, but seeing you guys meticulously negotiate those boulders provided us with great inspiration to keep pushing @BFR The standard route crosses over to
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts A John Muir Route, part ! by saltydog @ 46 minutes 36 seconds ago

Well, I am about as decompressed from my John Muir Route as I think I can get. Spoiler alert, I covered about half the mileage that I had identified as a potential itinerary, about 142 out of a possible 275, a total of 2 on the JMT, in the time I had
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Water Status along trail by Steve C @ Today at 08:57 PM

Water filters are sold JUST for this situation. There is no point to filtering uncontaminated water -- you're not doing anything to improve it. So now that they have found a little contamination, it is now a valid time to filter it. Filter it an
General Discussion
You can probably pick up no-show walk-in permits on Saturday at 2 PM for Sunday. The unused permits page shows there are often one or two left at the end of the day. You didn't say: Day hike or overnight? Whitney in one day would be a monumental
General Discussion
Where exactly did you cross from the right side of the rib to the left? Thanks
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - New Log Bridge by WanderingJim @ Today at 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Kposted a picture of the new single log bridge Just be careful on that log. It's not secured and shifted slightly when I went over it. A couple of the long line of logs over Lone Pine Creek closer to the Portal also we
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Mommy Daughter Hike - 2 Permits Needed for 8/27 by jaxgev @ Today at 05:50 PM

I'm a fairly regular Whitney climber, and my 8-yo daughter is stoked to join me for a hike up Whitney before she heads back to school next week. We had permits for early July but we gave those up because she broke her wrist and was still recovering.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney Portal Water Shutdown 8/17 by Paul @ Today at 04:30 PM

Not that it makes a huge difference, but the water at the Lone Pine Campground is unaffected. paul
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: AMS at 10,000 feet by futbol @ Today at 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby49Originally Posted By: futbol A guy in a group that went up Mt. Whitney last year brought along a device that measures altitude sickness but I forget what it was called or how it works. edit: I asked him. It was a puls
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Trip Report - 8/18/17 - First Time Climber by Kumar12 @ Today at 02:26 PM

Thank you for the quick response. Our date is on Sept 11th. We plan to do Mount Dana from Tioga pass on Sept 9th or at least go up to 12k elevation and stay at Mammoth Lakes. Spend few hours at Whitney portal and Horseshoe Meadows on Sept 10th and s
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Water Status along trail by Test123 @ Today at 02:19 PM

I am seeing some news about the water contamination in the portal https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD555445. Does this mean the water availability along the trail is contaminated as well? if so., is the filter and water purif
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: National Parks Senior Pass: $80 by Paul @ Today at 02:16 PM

The LA Times just posted an article about this. Apparently there is only 5 days left before the price of the senior pass jumps to $80. Come on all you young 62 and older people. Article here: http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-tr-national-park-
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: AMS at 10,000 feet by Bobby49 @ Today at 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: futbol A guy in a group that went up Mt. Whitney last year brought along a device that measures altitude sickness but I forget what it was called or how it works. edit: I asked him. It was a pulse oximeter. A pulse oximete
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: AMS at 10,000 feet by Steve C @ Today at 12:43 PM

I think the first article I linked to above mis-wrote "trailhead" where it should have been "trail". There are dozens of news reports out now:   Google news: Susanna DeForest They all report the same thing -- 6-7 miles into
General Discussion
Jump to new posts When to start Williamson/Tyndall hike by BFR @ Today at 12:36 PM

Looking for advice from the group here. I am going to hike either Tyndall or Williamson in the next few days. Looking at the weather forecast as of right now, there appears to be zero chance of precipitation/t-storms in the area. I do not do well
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Trip Report - 8/18/17 - First Time Climber by RickG @ Today at 11:33 AM

Hi Kumar, Since I never had any problems with altitude sickness before, I did not take anything. I am still debating about what to do in future attempts and will consider it. I did not sleep at all that night and drank less water than I should have
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Any openings 9/2/17 by Arbitrio @ Today at 11:19 AM

Thank you so much! That's a great idea.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: AMS at 10,000 feet by futbol @ Today at 10:48 AM

I vomited at Upper Boy Scout Lake early July, but ~45 minutes later I felt great and we continued up Mt. Russell. I had acclimated the night before at the portal campground. Are there any tell tale signs that you should turn around and descend? A
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Trip Report - 8/18/17 - First Time Climber by Kumar12 @ Today at 10:46 AM

Rick, Great report! Thanks for taking time to put together a detailed report. I do have few questions and any input is really appreciated. Did you take Diamox? This is my first time going to 12k+ elevation. I am still debating whether to take Diam
Trip Reports
Great report concluding a GREAT trip.
Trip Reports
Congrats on the summit and especially on being able to sleep at 14.5K'.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: AMS at 10,000 feet by Harvey Lankford @ Today at 09:47 AM

Although the "rule" is that " illness at altitude is altitude illness until proven otherwise", I do not see enough evidence in that limited report to be sure of the diagnosis. Vomiting alone does not kill quickly unless, say, it i
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: AMS at 10,000 feet by rFan @ Today at 09:34 AM

wow.. the altitude is not even that high.. I wonder if they could have somehow "forced" her to descend vs. staying there waiting for help..
Picture Gallery
Jump to new posts Re: Onion Valley to Mt Whitney pictures 8/17 by Snacking Bear @ Today at 08:49 AM

Looks wonderful! I'm especially jealous of the Bighorn P. views!!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: AMS at 10,000 feet by Steve C @ Today at 08:38 AM

Another current story from Colorado: Altitude sickness kills college student on hiking trip From the article: A Pennsylvania college student died last week from altitude sickness during a hiking trip in the Rocky Mountains, according to relatives
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >