Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (Chase R), 11 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3784 Members
10 Forums
5602 Topics
51231 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by Steve C @ Yesterday at 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: HobbesI wonder if you can still waltz in, sit down (preferably by the big window), go online (with your phone), order the permit, and then walk over to the desk and pick it up? For next day permits currently, that would work.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by Hobbes @ Yesterday at 04:49 PM

I wonder if you can still waltz in, sit down (preferably by the big window), go online (with your phone), order the permit, and then walk over to the desk and pick it up? At least that's how I'm imagining it. Anyhoo, Sunday has been upgraded to yet
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by Steve C @ Yesterday at 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: HobbesIOW, I'm pretty confident you can waltz right in and grab a same day permit if so inclined. Just a reminder, this year, there is no waltzing in and grabbing a permit. You have to go online and reserve and pay for the pe
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Have an extra pass for June 3rd Day hike by Blanka @ Yesterday at 04:38 PM

My friend is no longer able to join me on the hike and I'd be happy to give the pass to someone else, but also looking for someone/group to join just for safety reasons. Let me know!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by hungryhoya @ Yesterday at 12:18 PM

Thanks all for your commentary - looks like we'll be driving the opposite direction to Mt Hood instead. It's a bummer, but hopefully we'll see great weather next month!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by Hobbes @ Yesterday at 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: janna gfor those who are going this memorial day weekend, do any of you have an extra space in your permit for 2 ? thank you Um, with projected highs below freezing, snow showers and stiff winds, I'd be surprised if anyone is
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Penny by penny @ Yesterday at 09:35 AM

Will be going up Mt. Whitney from the portal at end of June. Was not planning to use crampons or ice axe. With all the snow is it recommended I get this gear now and begin training or should trail be clear of snow and ice be then?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by janna g @ Yesterday at 09:26 AM

for those who are going this memorial day weekend, do any of you have an extra space in your permit for 2 ? thank you
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by Ian B @ 05/23/19 09:29 AM

At this point, I would be mindful of the avalanche risk from storm slab and wind slab avalanches, especially up high. After this week of stormy, cold weather, I would be less concerned about the wet avalanches you reference in your post. Multiple inc
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Anyone need a Extra Person 7/1-7/5 by Aaron Wood @ 05/23/19 06:47 AM

Hey everyone! I am trying to go on a summit attempt during the 7/1-7/5 week! I have done many big hikes including Mt. Rainier. I am experienced and in very good shape! I am only one person so if you have an extra spot please let me know!! Email m
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Looking for 1 person day use July 18 by Chase R @ 05/22/19 07:52 PM

Hello, I have a day use permit (4 person) for July 18 and wed like to add one more person to our group. What do you think the chances of a spot opening up would be? Or does anyone have an opening on that day? Thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by socalmountaineer @ 05/22/19 04:49 PM

I was just up there last weekend. A few thoughts: - I don't know how much snow this storm is dropping down low but we were able to bypass the E-ledges by using a pink flagged route on the left side of the creek. By the time we were coming down the
General Discussion
Jump to new posts 2 Overnight permits available June 13-14 by Ak16 @ 05/21/19 05:36 PM

Looking for fellow hikers for the 13th and 14th of June. Friends of mine are too busy in the rat race. I got a permit for a group of three if interested. Would be ideal to drive up from LA on Wednesday the 12th if interested in car pooling as well. T
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by Steve C @ 05/21/19 08:28 AM

Mountain Forecast always over-estimates the amount of snow. I use the NOAA site for more realistic numbers. You can see from the web cam view that the east side is not getting much snow at all from all the storminess. Avalanches in May have usuall
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by Anton @ 05/21/19 08:22 AM

I cannot comment on actual conditions - haven't been there yet this year and I doubt anyone else has after the last storm. That said: 1) be prepared for non-trivial post holing, given the amount of recent snowfall 2) E-Ledges may be very slippery
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Beta for 5/25 - 5/26 by hungryhoya @ 05/21/19 06:52 AM

Hi all, Have been lurking on the forum for a while now and am excited to (possibly) be headed up to Whitney this Memorial Day Weekend. My friend and I have previously summitted Shasta, Williamson, and most recently, Orizaba and Iztaccihuatl in Mexi
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Conditions for June 9-10th Summit by Jonathan C @ 05/20/19 06:19 PM

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/53085/When_will_Mt_Whitney_switchbac#Post53085
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Conditions for June 9-10th Summit by tif @ 05/20/19 03:47 PM

Considering nearly a full week of snow is about to drop/is dropping on the mountain on top of a large existing snow pack, it's safe to say the switchbacks will not be melted out at all 2-3 weeks time. You will definitely need crampons/ice ax and the
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Conditions for June 9-10th Summit by Nick_T @ 05/20/19 03:30 PM

Can anyone give me an idea what conditions to expect for June 9th-10th? I got a two day permit, camping at Trail Camp, and I am wondering if snow will have melted sufficiently to take MWT/99 switchbacks to Trail Crest or if we will need crampons, and
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Any Weather updates 5/19? by JBone @ 05/19/19 11:57 AM

Hello board, I'm looking for any weather updates from locals. The system that has been lingering does not seem to be showing any signs of slowing down. Although there has been some predictions of heavy snow, I appears as if the actual accumulation h
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: JMT Hike ending in Whitney in July by Anton @ 05/18/19 02:59 PM

I use the 3400 Porter for long trips an the summit pack for shorter, and I absolutely love both models - super simple, yet, versatile and comfortable. Southwests and Windriders are also very popular among long distance hikers and climbers. Keep in mi
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: JMT Hike ending in Whitney in July by Avi @ 05/18/19 09:03 AM

Thanks for that tip. Will check out the bags you suggested. Avi