Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2784 Members
13 Forums
4896 Topics
46601 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Trail conditions and other hikes April 16th by Steve C @ Yesterday at 11:11 PM

That is pretty early for the roads to be open. You should call the Inyo County Roads number just before your trip, and ask. 760-878-0202 I see you are flying into Las Vegas. Check driving times. I think you're in for lots of hours in the car for
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Tropical Cyclone Debbie by Steve C @ Yesterday at 10:57 PM

Hold on tight!
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Wood hiking stick vs treking poles by Steve C @ Yesterday at 10:56 PM

Interesting that you use them for climbing. I use them especially for descending, but I have a really bad knee, where I can't step down quickly on it -- the poles are a lifesaver for that. The sticks enable me to hike and carry a backpack at all!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Need a permit for July 2017 by ScottHikerEsq @ Yesterday at 10:13 PM

I was unsuccessful in this year's lottery. If anyone who got an overnight permit in July has an extra space, I would be most grateful. Scott 805-231-49 six five
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Trail conditions and other hikes April 16th by melodyb75 @ Yesterday at 07:35 PM

We will be in Lone Pine on April 16th. (Staying there one night on the 15th, coming from Death Valley), and heading back that night on the 16th - quick trip so we only have a day. Never been to Lone Pine or Death Valley before... it will be just my
General Discussion
Originally Posted By: cantareDiscounting the potential for extreme heat in the GC, I'd say Whitney's tougher than R2R. Same elevation gain, but you're 6000' higher and the trail is significantly rougher. Now if you make it R2R2R in a day, that's defi
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Wood hiking stick vs treking poles by bruce @ Yesterday at 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve CHere's what I have, only weigh 9 oz for the pair! The non-adjustability is something I had to get used to, and first pair I bought, I let an inexperienced kid at REI talk me into a set that was too long. The internal
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Tropical Cyclone Debbie by wagga @ Yesterday at 03:04 AM

I'm just south of Cape Tribulation - so no worries for me. However, I have a sister in Mackay. She has a dog named Toto, even though she has never watched "The Wizard of Oz'. So my advice to her is to "tie your Toto dog down sport".
General Discussion
Thanks, all, I'm planning on potentially the east side again.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: July trail conditions by saltydog @ 03/25/17 02:02 PM

I find that map very difficult to read, can't identify enough on it to be useful: but the text seems to indicate that the line between central and south, west of the Crest is the Merced/ San Joaq Divide, to over near Mono Pass and Bloody Canyon/Walke
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: July trail conditions by John Sims @ 03/25/17 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: HillbasherAny idea where the three areas start and end? North, Central, and South. This link shows the data in "chart" form, as well as showing a map of the three areas. http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: July trail conditions by Hillbasher @ 03/25/17 07:35 AM

Any idea where the three areas start and end? North, Central, and South.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by Steve C @ 03/24/17 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: 87preludea20a3So if I walk up on any random date can you still get an overnight permit? Or are walk up permits only given to for day hikes the next day? The overnight permits are less available than day hike, especially in Jul
General Discussion
Discounting the potential for extreme heat in the GC, I'd say Whitney's tougher than R2R. Same elevation gain, but you're 6000' higher and the trail is significantly rougher. Now if you make it R2R2R in a day, that's definitely harder!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: White Mountain/Boundary Peak area conditions by saltydog @ 03/24/17 08:00 PM

Interested to know what you are referring to as the huge current snowpack. Aside from Mammoth and Gem Passes, average snowpack is around 140% of average, like 2011. Assumptions based on last months record pace may not longer be warrated: lotta mel
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: C2C2C 11/13 by bruce @ 03/24/17 05:35 PM

That's OK, I don't mind. I got some good advice in this thread thanks to you.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by 87preludea20a3 @ 03/24/17 04:28 PM

So if I walk up on any random date can you still get an overnight permit? Or are walk up permits only given to for day hikes the next day?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: White Mountain/Boundary Peak area conditions by KevinR @ 03/24/17 02:44 PM

Which side are you planning to use, east or west? I've done it from the west.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by TedS @ 03/24/17 02:05 PM

Snagged a Saturday day-use permit for 3 of us mid June. Will be interesting to see how the snow conditions net out in the coming months to determine if that's really feasible for the group.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by UChiker @ 03/24/17 01:05 PM

My group of seven pulled three overnight permits all together, including a Friday in July. Some of us put each other as alternate leaders, some not. It seems in our case our applications were not thrown out because of it.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Inyo Road Conditions by 2600fromatari @ 03/24/17 01:02 PM

That was a pretty fast fix on the Portal Road!
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: C2C2C 11/13 by 2600fromatari @ 03/24/17 01:00 PM

You don't have to buy it and welcomed to believe what you want. I'm not laughing at you, but laughing at how you actually think this is something impossible. Just because you can't (yet) doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people who can. It's
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by Halfdomer Homer @ 03/24/17 12:22 PM

Sat Sept 9th for 2 hikers, first choice! Yow! Cya up there! -Dan
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: C2C2C 11/13 by bruce @ 03/24/17 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: 2600fromatariSteve, 1) Main trail, roundtrip, "car-to-car". 2) Basically, I never go at a pace that I couldn't carry while breathing through my nose. With few exceptions when the terrain gets too steep or I want to mo
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: White Mountain/Boundary Peak area conditions by Steve C @ 03/24/17 10:21 AM

No direct info. But I recall a snowmobile trip to White Mountain a few years ago (3-14-2010) and while the snow was light, there was one slope on the leeward side of the prevailing winds, that had deep, completely unconsolidated snow. Some of it wa
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >