Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
4003 Members
10 Forums
5826 Topics
52446 Posts

Max Online: 1443 @ 07/29/19 08:40 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Polemonium Peak and North Palisade by Steve C @ Today at 12:29 AM

Nice! Thanks for posting the video.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Polemonium Peak and North Palisade by illyav @ Yesterday at 10:03 PM

Here is a video I threw together of a trip this past August: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGykn7GaoEw
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Skeleton discovered in Williamson bowl by Bob West @ Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Was that trip leader tripping on something? http://manzanarstore.com/cemetery.html https://www.sierrawave.net/decades-old-human-remains-discovered-on-mount-williamson/ The Manzanar cemetery was a long way from Mt. Williamson. Japanese would never
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Day Hike to Whitney this coming Monday by Steve C @ 10/17/19 11:59 PM

The trail is dry. Ice at the cables can be avoided. Watch the weather... Sunny and cold. highs in the 40s, low in the 20s.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Skeleton discovered in Williamson bowl by tif @ 10/17/19 04:05 PM

It would surprise me if they took them up to the top of the pass/in the Williamson Bowl where this was found. I know there was a cemetery as part of the internment camp too, so would be surprised if they did allow folks to be buried elsewhere.
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Day Hike to Whitney this coming Monday by Olivier @ 10/17/19 04:01 PM

Any updates regarding the switchbacks and trail conditions? Any updates would be very helpful Thanks
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Skeleton discovered in Williamson bowl by StorminMatt @ 10/17/19 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianWz48A Sierra Club trip leader told me in the 1980's that during World War II Japanese inmates of the Manzanar Internment Camp would sometimes take deceased inmates and bury them in the Mt. Williamson area which was behind t
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Anticrepuscular Rays by Steve C @ 10/17/19 01:50 PM

Posted on the JMT FB group by Matthias C: Quote:We got up at 1am in Crabtree Meadows to catch the sunrise on Whitney. Sunrise didnít take place though due to a band of thick clouds on the horizon in the east (and we would have been late to the summit
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ 10/17/19 01:22 PM

Dylan J cycled from Death Valley, then climbed Whitney via the Mountaineers Route all in one day. Here are the cables from Oct. 12, 2019.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Skeleton discovered in Williamson bowl by BrianWz48 @ 10/17/19 07:48 AM

I was an active Sierra hiker in the 1970's and 1980's and climbed Mt. Williamson three times during that period. A Sierra Club trip leader told me in the 1980's that during World War II Japanese inmates of the Manzanar Internment Camp would sometime
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Skeleton discovered in Williamson bowl by BFR @ 10/17/19 07:21 AM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7581579/Skeleton-unearthed-beneath-California-peak.html
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Measured elevation gain/mileage MWT from the portal by Halfdomer Homer @ 10/16/19 11:55 AM

Yes 6900' is very close. Every time I have gone up there my GPS is close to that number given margin of error. Also, a little over 21 miles RT. Trail crest 200' back and forth, plus the ups and downs on the back 1.9 plus Bighorn park.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Measured elevation gain/mileage MWT from the portal by bobpickering @ 10/15/19 06:36 PM

If there is 400 feet of loss on the way up, there is 400 feet of extra gain on the way up. There is also 400 feet of gain on the way down. 6,145 + 400 + 400 = 6,945 total gain for the round trip. Edit: 6,500í of total gain is a bunch. 7,000í is e
General Discussion
Originally Posted By: EugenI think the confusion because different people have different length of their feet. In meters the gain between Portal and the top gave me 2056 meters Since the net gain is 6145 feet, 2056 meters between the Portal and the
General Discussion
I think the confusion because different people have different length of their feet. In meters the gain between Portal and the top gave me 2056 meters
General Discussion
I think it's around 6900 feet of ascent (up and down). There is around 300 feet of additional ascent from just before Trail Crest to the summit. So that x2 plus a 30-40 ft. ascent leaving Outpost and a few little humps and you can get close to 7000
General Discussion
Originally Posted By: StorminMatt7000ft is WAYYY off. Given that the trailhead elevation is 8360ft and the summit is 14505ft, you have a net gain of 6145ft. Add in elevation losses that must be regained such as the drop into Bighorn Sheep Park and th
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Selling overnight permits for 10/18 to 10/20 by AdventureUSA @ 10/14/19 02:44 PM

No need to sell those 4 tickets, friend. I'm returning 6 for the exact same time period tomorrow afternoon.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Question about Whitney Overnight Permits by StorminMatt @ 10/14/19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: soopYes that's correct. Didn't see any rangers. Iíve climbed Whitney FOUR TIMES, and Iíve NEVER seen a ranger (let alone had my permit checked). Then again, Iíve never gotten an alpine start, and Iíve never done it on a weeke
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Measured elevation gain/mileage MWT from the portal by bobpickering @ 10/14/19 12:41 PM

I just plotted the route on CalTopo and got 20.12 miles and 6,902í gain, round trip. The CalTopo route consisted of a gazillion individual points. I think that CalTopo just adds up the horizontal distance and elevation gain for each segment of the
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Measured elevation gain/mileage MWT from the portal by StorminMatt @ 10/14/19 12:19 PM

7000ft is WAYYY off. Given that the trailhead elevation is 8360ft and the summit is 14505ft, you have a net gain of 6145ft. Add in elevation losses that must be regained such as the drop into Bighorn Sheep Park and the drop after Trail Crest, and 640
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Measured elevation gain/mileage MWT from the portal by KCMasterpiece @ 10/14/19 11:33 AM

Everyone's will vary some. My device said 6,409 feet of elevation gain and 11.3 miles from portal to the top, and 239 feet of elevation gain on the way down for a grand total of 6,648 feet over 22.6 miles. Others have had shorter distances recorded
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Measured elevation gain/mileage MWT from the portal by Kascadia @ 10/14/19 10:07 AM

Hello - I just saw a post that stated the total elevation gain for Whitney (from the Portal on hiking trail) was 7000 ft. I was curious to get various readings of mileage/elevation gain from people that have done this. I know the standard descripti