Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3539 Members
10 Forums
5423 Topics
49946 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Mount Whitney summit - 7/19/2018 by Panorama Paul @ 51 minutes 35 seconds ago

Did you take long enough on top to really take in the view? You might want to remember the names of the other peaks: https://www.summitpost.org/labeled-mount-whitney-panorama/1002719/c-841725 . FREE Download from Summitpost AND/OR buy a 2x3-foot
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Long Term Parking at Whitney Portal by Goose @ Today at 06:40 PM

I'm not aware of any official rule or time limit, but I parked at the portal for six nights at the beginning of July while my daughter and I hiked around from Horseshoe Meadow. I asked about doing so when we picked up our permit and was told that as
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Long Term Parking at Whitney Portal by Cody0904 @ Today at 05:55 PM

Hello, A few friends and myself will be hiking the High Sierra Trail in September. We were hoping to leave a car at Whitney Portal so that when we exit we have a car. Tried looking online if parking is allowed overnight for a few days, but couldn´t
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ Today at 12:05 PM

MHS: Congratulations!!! Thanks for the report. I can relate regarding the old knees. I used to run down parts of the trail! ...not anymore. And good for you on the Diamox use. Your ascent directly to Trail Camp without first spending a nig
For Moderators only
Jump to new posts juliani by Steve C @ Today at 11:56 AM

Add to this thread, after a month or two: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/53052/all Several final pictures from this disaster: Ice axes lost when the fall began: Tracks: from GoPro
General Discussion
Thanks, BFR. That spot is deadly when the temps are low enough that the snow is iced-up. A hiker lost his life there this spring when he slipped and lost both ice axes. When there is no snow, it's an "Easy Walk-Off". What a difference!!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by MHS @ Today at 08:03 AM

From Tampa with a group of 4. Stayed in Lone Pine day 1. Hit the trailhead the next day and pitched tents at Trail Camp. All of us pre-medicated with Diamox. Awoke at 2am and hit the switch backs at 3am. I think the switchbacks are easier in the dark
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Amazing cloud formation today on Whitney by BFR @ Yesterday at 08:27 PM

I just had to share this! Took this coming down from Iceberg lake. Can you see the “W”?
General Discussion
For anyone interested, I was at the notch today and noticed that the walk off continues to be extremely sketchy and snow covered. Wouldn't recommend it! Here's a pic from 7/21:   http://i66.tinypic.com/1olpq9.jpg
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by futbol @ Yesterday at 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: dbdFriends of the Inyo is among the organizations with opportunities to volunteer. Check their site for a full calendar of events. https://friendsoftheinyo.org/ Immediate examples: Trail Work Thursday — Whitney Portal July 19
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Mount Whitney summit - 7/19/2018 by mountainhiker15 @ Yesterday at 03:35 PM

Thank you so much, John!
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Mount Whitney summit - 7/19/2018 by John Sims @ Yesterday at 10:24 AM

Congratulations and "well done". "Text book" example of how to hike Mt. Whitney. Well planned and executed.
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Mount Whitney summit - 7/19/2018 by mountainhiker15 @ Yesterday at 07:07 AM

Hi there, Thank you again to everyone who posted about their experiences, and this wonderful forum. It truly helped my planning and preparation for hiking Mount Whitney. My trip began on Wednesday, July 18th. The night before I had stayed in a mot
General Discussion
If you have no takers yet, it’s not much, but I can offer you this . . . Our group of four had a Day-Use permit for July 11th, but didn’t hike due to the fire, and we couldn’t stay until the Portal reopened. I was lucky enough to land another Day-
General Discussion
Are you still interested for Whitney Trail late August? Herbert
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Alternative camping other than trail camp by Dave F @ 07/19/18 11:44 AM

Trail Camp is a zoo, and I found the noise from other campers there distracting. Our favorite spot to camp is in a small glen just off to the left of the trail, about 700 feet before Trail Camp. If you put your tent up against the rocks below the
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Alternative camping other than trail camp by OChikers8073 @ 07/17/18 04:23 PM

Agreed trail camp is also really crowded and hard to find a place to use the 'restroom'
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Alternative camping other than trail camp by britonwhit(ney) @ 07/17/18 01:20 PM

Maybe consultation lake which is a little below trail camp and maybe quarter/half a mile before it for an ascending hiker. Much nicer imho. I like it so much I’ve stopped there twice when descending having come in from the west side.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by dbd @ 07/17/18 09:59 AM

Friends of the Inyo is among the organizations with opportunities to volunteer. Check their site for a full calendar of events. https://friendsoftheinyo.org/ Immediate examples: Trail Work Thursday — Whitney Portal July 19 from 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Alternative camping other than trail camp by Samanthia @ 07/17/18 09:45 AM

I was reading a post where a hiker camped a little further above Trail Camp but can’t find it. It was near a lake as I recall. Any suggestions?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ 07/17/18 08:29 AM

OC: Please do post the info!
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via the scenic route 9/15-9/17 by Rico @ 07/17/18 08:24 AM

Much appreciated psyko. That's actually very helpful.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by OChikers8073 @ 07/17/18 08:11 AM

I'm in love! I can see why people hike many times, including 'crazy jack' from the Whitney Portal Store who we met on the trail and again while having our cheeseburgers apparently he has hiked over 170 times!. We also met a ranger along the way with
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by MHS @ 07/17/18 01:06 AM

Thanks
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ 07/16/18 09:42 PM

OChikers: Thanks SO much for picking up all the trash. Too many people don't care, because they're never going back to Whitney.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >