Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2825 Members
13 Forums
4932 Topics
46833 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Avalanche Beacon Rental? by climb4life @ 46 minutes 0 seconds ago

I rented transceivers, probes, and shovels from SMI in Bishop. Check them out at www.sierramountaineering.com. The owner Kurt offered up a lot of helpful information far beyond what I read on the forums too.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Ueli Steck, Dead on Everest by 2600fromatari @ Today at 10:40 AM

Sad news indeed. The guy an inspirational climber and also seemed like a genuinely nice guy. http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/04/30/everest-2017-ueli-steck-dies-on-nuptse/ Roger Owen says: April 30, 2017 at 6:11 am He was the most charming
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Ueli Steck, Dead on Everest by Snacking Bear @ Today at 09:26 AM

This article indicates that it was a brutal fall. This one states that he sustained a fall in excess of 3,000 feet.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Ueli Steck, Dead on Everest by Fishmonger @ Today at 07:28 AM

no real info on what happened. sad. he was quite the inspiration, but clearly played on the limit.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Ueli Steck, Dead on Everest by Snacking Bear @ Today at 06:22 AM

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39761904 Sad news, shocked.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Cool Videos by Fishmonger @ 04/28/17 06:29 PM

and after the little adventure, something on a much grander scale: running 600 miles across ridges in the northwest. The Crown Traverse
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Cool Videos by Fishmonger @ 04/28/17 06:10 PM

the video tells a great story, and from a perspective that lets you almost participate. A little adventure found in the modern world, sprinkled with a little nostalgia, nature, and campfire camaraderie. Well edited and produced and a lot of fun to wa
General Discussion
Welcome Daniel, On May 1, all the permits that people won, but did not pay for, are released back to the online system. They are released at random times throughout the day, so set up a bookmark and check it often. You may find something you want.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Cool Videos by Steve C @ 04/28/17 08:41 AM

That is a really cool video. #1, it is fun to see the guys resurrect such an old relic. But #2, the video photography is outstanding -- someone put a lot of time into creating the video, even with drone shots. It is pretty amazing, those guys with
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Saturn Explorer Eyes Mount Whitney by wagga @ 04/28/17 02:44 AM

"One of those first chairs is Andy Ingersoll, a Caltech planetary scientist who jokingly describes himself as “the old man in the group.” Judging from his frenetic schedule and the hiking gear stashed in one corner of his office (at the time of
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Mountaineers Route 04-21-17 by Dizzy @ 04/27/17 11:36 PM

Short video of our Whitney attempt on April 21st, 2017. I bailed on last 400, but fun part was riding snowboard from Iceberg lake to almost trail junction with main trail, unfortunately video was too shaky to include into clip.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by turns @ 04/27/17 07:13 PM

Found this video on YouTube from 4/23/17 (credit Brandon Riza). Incredible snow at LBSL!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Cool Videos by Fishmonger @ 04/27/17 06:47 PM

back to cars - this one from the French mountains.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Backbone Trail - Los Angeles by RenoFrank @ 04/27/17 05:54 PM

Anyone been here? http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-backbone-trail-20160525-snap-story.html
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by BFR @ 04/27/17 03:20 PM

I just snagged a permit on 8/31, saw a bunch listed in august surprisingly.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Mt. Whitney Climbing Permits (Too late to get one?) by Daniel S @ 04/27/17 12:02 PM

Hi, We're a family of three beginner and experienced climbers who want to climb Mt. Whitney, and we figured that mid-July to late August would be the perfect time. (Due to our schedules.) However, because of our other travels we completely forgot to
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by jondotcom @ 04/26/17 08:48 PM

8 available on July 4 according to the site right at this moment. Some folks are in luck!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Whitney rescue & South Lake by Bob West @ 04/26/17 07:10 PM

Scroll down to see a video (2nd one down) of the rescue of an injured hiker at the recent avalanche and snow pictures from South Lake (above Bishop): https://www.facebook.com/InyoCountySheriffsOffice/
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Death on the Mountaineer's Route by Rony13 @ 04/26/17 01:40 PM

It seems odd that he fell without his backpack. Perhaps he stop to get layerdown, or something; took his pack off and didn't had his iceaxe within reach, slipped and that's all it took. Right there at the 400s, if you don't get to selfarrest within
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Car camping at Lone Pine or Portal...opinions? by Harvey Lankford @ 04/26/17 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: bobpickeringSpending the night at the higher campground will help you acclimatize. Also please catch up on "last day hike was 5 years ago"
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Car camping at Lone Pine or Portal...opinions? by bobpickering @ 04/26/17 09:18 AM

Spending the night at the higher campground will help you acclimatize.
General Discussion
Originally Posted By: RenoFrank Another option is the walk-in campsites right at the Portal. There you might notice more activity because there are many hikers coming and going who are not camping there. The sites there are very convenient - always
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Planning a hike for late April by martinphysics @ 04/25/17 09:27 PM

Update: Hello climbers! Due to amount of snow on the slopes and due to my lack of confidence and experience with winter climbing I have decided to cancel my (solo) trip on 28th April via Whitney trail.I will definitely try it later. Best regards and
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Avalanche on the North Fork Lone Pine Creek by Steve C @ 04/25/17 09:23 PM

CHP posted a video of the avalanche rescue: https://www.facebook.com/276737786013059/videos/442622306091272/
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Car camping at Lone Pine or Portal...opinions? by jondotcom @ 04/25/17 08:26 PM

Thanks a million. That answers my questions. We're planning on staying at the whitney portal campground the night before and after our hike. I had assumed the noise concerns some have mentioned about the portal walk-in campgrounds might apply to t
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >