Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3602 Members
10 Forums
5492 Topics
50356 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Summit Aug 23rd by OCDAVE @ Yesterday at 09:34 AM

Thanks for comments. Perhaps because I live in SoCal or because I recommended Whitney, I became the de facto leader of the group. The forum was immensely helpful in preparing and I read some where that the reaching the peak is optional, but getting b
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Trail Camp tent choice advice by MikeH @ Yesterday at 07:05 AM

Awesome. Thanks Goose. Love the idea of using stuff sacks.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Trail Camp tent choice advice by Goose @ 09/21/18 09:44 PM

On three separate occasions I have stayed at Trail Camp in an ultralight, non-freestanding tent that relied on nothing more than trekking poles to support the roof. I was able to set it up in the dark, it stayed up in the wind and on one trip I need
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Trail Camp tent choice advice by MikeH @ 09/21/18 04:02 PM

Thanks Jim, Appreciate the reply.
General Discussion
Sounds like a fun trip. The Harrison Pass trail hasn't been maintained for years and in many places it is hard, if not impossible to find including where it takes off the trail to Lk Reflection. The top is steep and can be ugly if frozen. Someone els
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Trail Camp tent choice advice by WanderingJim @ 09/21/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeHHi all, Heading up to Whitney starting this weekend. Camping at the portal, Trail Camp and then Outpost Camp. I have two tents. One is free standing and the other is not. The non-free standing tent stake supported one i
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Trail Camp tent choice advice by MikeH @ 09/21/18 09:52 AM

Hi all, Heading up to Whitney starting this weekend. Camping at the portal, Trail Camp and then Outpost Camp. I have two tents. One is free standing and the other is not. The non-free standing tent stake supported one is a new one and is very lig
General Discussion
pcieluch, you will find many of the people doing those off-trail trips are going solo. I've done a few myself. If you plan it out, it can be fun and rewarding. The one thing I always take along, though, is a satellite tracking unit. I started wit
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 5 Most Dangerous Peaks in the US by quillansculpture @ 09/20/18 08:11 PM

Baldy is kind of a weird anomaly, as it seems every year, a few people die on it in the Winter time. Just two or three years ago, the ice was horrific in so many spots, but people in tennies kept hiking it, as well as Icehouse, Cucamongo and Ontario.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake by mountainmike @ 09/20/18 06:48 PM

I have done this and it is not that scary. You will be fine on the summit. If you are in that area I think you would do well to stay higher up in Tuolomne for acclimitazation purposes. Mt. Dana is good too just beeing up around 12K or higher. other h
General Discussion
If you want to do some "arm chair" cruising, I recommend the following web site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/roguephotonic/albums/with/72157631590954986 This is Christopher Ryersons' Flickr "Albums" page, and you will find trip
General Discussion
the more I read and look at these off trail routes the more I envy you guys who live out there. I met a group that was at Center Basin for a number of days. I guess they killed all the fish in the lake for the frogs. Anyway there's just so much to
General Discussion
On the north side of Harrison Pass there is the vestige of a trail for maybe 20-30 feet, and then nothing until you're past most of the boulder field at the bottom. In terms of steepness, it's relatively steep and somewhat close to the angle of repo
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake by saltydog @ 09/20/18 11:53 AM

This is a wonderful hike, and good for conditioning, but it is not going to give you much in the way of acclimation quick trip to just under 10k, but not much time above about the elevation of Whitney Portal. As long as you are in the area, you migh
General Discussion
I think Steve is correct about the trail to East Lake. THere was a trail crew stationed there this past summer and I would not be surprised if it were recently maintained . Bubb's Creek section is of course part of the Rae Lakes Loop and will be fi
General Discussion
If you post on the Mt WHitney and JMT FB groups you are sure to get exactly the info you need. Secor describes it briefly. Difficult, steep loose rock. Large talus to cross above Reflection, then either slabs toward Mt Ericsson and back to the pas
General Discussion
Wow! I hadn't seen anyone write about Harrison Pass until now, so I went looking. I see it is an alternate route -- you would continue down Bubbs Creek to Junction Meadow, then climb south to East Lake, continuing up toward Lk Reflection, then headi
General Discussion
Experienced, except I urgently need info on what Harrison Pass Trail is like to cross. How steep? Well marked path? Exposure? Compared to JMT/Foresster Pass ?? Ked
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake by Snacking Bear @ 09/20/18 08:45 AM

Erling, there is plenty of room and space up there. I think you will do just fine. You will love the views too, I'm sure.
General Discussion
Originally Posted By: kedward777Like I said, we are experienced :-)
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Does Anyone Have Unused Permits for 9/27 by Snacking Bear @ 09/20/18 08:40 AM

Our out of towner is taking an earlier flight in, as such, we should be able to be at the VC in time to get walk-ups. Thanks, everyone!
General Discussion
Like I said, we are experienced :-)
General Discussion
Originally Posted By: kedward777I am leaving onion valley Sept 22nd and exiting Whitney portal Sept 27. There are 14 of us. How the heck did you get Whitney Portal exit permits for 14 people?
General Discussion
Hello, I am leaving onion valley Sept 22nd and exiting Whitney portal Sept 27. There are 14 of us. Mostly experienced. How good/hard/technical is the Harrison Pass Trail compared to the JMT (Forrestor pass)? Exposure? packed path or scree? Pro/Cons
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake by Erling @ 09/20/18 07:13 AM

Thankyou for the Pictures. It looks less scary than those I have seen before. It is not that steep to the east. Perhaps it is possible to walk to the right from the Ridge (Just a meter)and hold on to the ridge with my hands ? Or I can creep on mye kn
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >