Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3634 Members
10 Forums
5512 Topics
50536 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Picture Gallery
Jump to new posts Whitney Main Trail 11/11/18 by Philippe @ Yesterday at 12:21 PM

See pictures attached.
General Discussion
I thought you and powerful friends in the forest and Washington were getting something going on MMWT. At least that is what you implied on Facebook more than a year ago without specificity. How's about an update for the peeps.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 5 Most Dangerous Peaks in the US by wbtravis @ Yesterday at 09:36 AM

They don't even get the the SoCal mountain right. Bad article poorly researched.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ 11/12/18 12:08 PM

I posted this on the Mt Whitney Facebook group: Quote:Lost and found hiker: Cautionary tale. Mazzie VanRoy posted a thread here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/30962451768/permalink/10155936529881769/ ...that her friend was having trouble on the tr
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Philippe @ 11/12/18 10:17 AM

Main trail as of Sunday Nov 11 afternoon - Trail is clear of snow/ice until the switchbacks - Switchbacks have some sections covered with hard snow. Microspikes were perfect to zip through this section. - Trail crest was almost snow/ice free. We did
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Oh the haze... by Steve C @ 11/10/18 07:54 PM

Yep. Really bad all over. Here in Fresno the sky was gray. My high school kid had a band trip to the SF bay area cancelled today due to unhealthy air. They then were going to move it inland to Modesto, but the bad air hit them, too. California i
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Oh the haze... by WanderingJim @ 11/10/18 03:12 PM

I guess the haze from the fires up north or maybe from down south (or both) is hitting the eastern Sierra pretty bad. Both webcams are pretty hazy. It's pretty bad today in the Bay Area as well. RAIN dammit!
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: mt russell summit 9/10/2018 by fusial @ 11/09/18 04:36 PM

Wow nice ascent! Russell is on my list too after a failed early spring attempt a few years ago (tons of snow at the top, almost fell). Would like to do it as a day hike, how is it descending the e-ledges in the darkness?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: C2C hike by bruce @ 11/08/18 02:36 PM

My brother, a friend of his and I did this two years ago last October. That I think, like the Grand Canyon RTR hike, is the best month to go. Won't be any snow and it won't be that hot either. As mentioned above, start predawn, preferably by 5:00
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: C2C hike by KevinR @ 11/08/18 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: John SimsIf you have a problem hooking up with Kevin another web site with good information is: https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/best-la-hikes/cactus-to-clouds-hike/ If you scroll down this page there is also a link to downl
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: C2C hike by John Sims @ 11/08/18 09:55 AM

If you have a problem hooking up with Kevin another web site with good information is: https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/best-la-hikes/cactus-to-clouds-hike/ If you scroll down this page there is also a link to download a gpx file (I've not tried
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: C2C hike by KevinR @ 11/08/18 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By: nykerFor those of you who have done this from the desert floor, what time of year did you do it and how hard was following a route up there in the dark? Assume Shoulder seasons are best after the heat and before the snow. Where
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by C_S @ 11/07/18 09:45 AM

Main gully looks like this as of Sunday Nov 4 Final 400 was easily descended picking our way down the most solid rock away from the little snow and ice there is.
The Chat Room
Commandant of the Marine Corps 243rd birthday message. Happy Birthday, Marines. To all veterans...Happy 100th Veterans Day. Semper Fidelis.