Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3270 Members
13 Forums
5344 Topics
49604 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Haleakala hike? by Steve C @ 12/14/17 03:01 PM

I've not been to that island, but looking on gmap4, I can follow the Kaupo Trail route from the road passing through Kaupo on the map here. Using the map, switch between "h - Aerial Google Hybrid" and "t4 - CalTopo Hi-res USA",
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Haleakala hike? by BFR @ 12/14/17 11:49 AM

I am going on vacation in Maui over Christmas. Haleakala has been on my bucket list - has anyone ever hiked this from sea level (or close to it)? If so, please share!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts iPhone case by Steve C @ 12/14/17 08:57 AM

Here's a cool Whitney-related iPhone case: Found on Instagram, posted by artist_athlete Caption: Love Lone Pine & Alabama Hills. I took this photo a few years back & now itís available on an iPhone case plus more merch! https://society6.com/artis
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: So Mt Whitney is about 1 inch taller... by + @ti2d @ 12/14/17 07:51 AM

Yes, Olmsted Point. I just saw that erratic move! Whoa! Now, we need Mammoth to explode and the the entire Sierra Nevada will rise another inch maybe two.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: So Mt Whitney is about 1 inch taller... by wagga @ 12/13/17 11:32 PM

Came to post this from the LA Times. Where is the pic taken? - Olmsted Point?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts So Mt Whitney is about 1 inch taller... by WanderingJim @ 12/13/17 07:01 PM

Apparently, the California drought caused the Sierra Nevada mountains to rise about an inch. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Si...hp?t=9215873145 Gotta change all the t-shirts and swag now... 15,508.1 feet. And my second summit of Whitney
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Glacial Polish by Fritsch @ 12/13/17 08:04 AM

Very interesting phenomenon. Is that glacier in danger like so many other around the world?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: FYI medical report about JMT by saltydog @ 12/11/17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve CWell it is a first of its kind, of sorts, so I think it falls into the "Hmmm, that's interesting" category, but nothing earth-shaking. I'm wondering if it isn't a result of questionnaire pushed on the Facebook
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Swelling due to Altitude by Steve C @ 12/10/17 09:06 PM

It sounds like multiple issues to me: The knees swelling could be a reaction to hiking if you don't normally do any sort of hiking or walking otherwise. I'm wondering what you do in the weeks and days leading up to these hiking situations. As for
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney Summit ASAP - Looking for Partner(s) by C Brooks @ 12/10/17 05:32 PM

I was thinking of heading up the MR route next weekend (Dec 15-16) I was going to solo, but a partner is always welcome. Also perhaps interested in perhaps doing Russell E ridge instead of Whitney if the snow level is as low as it looks in the webcam
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Swelling due to Altitude by Harvey Lankford @ 12/10/17 05:16 AM

your achy knees (mentioned multiple times) are simply orthopedic, or musculoskeletal, not AMS, and not necessarily even local fluid retention related either. You mentioned joint effusions so that wording suggests you might be in the medical field
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Swelling due to Altitude by Lcagee @ 12/10/17 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: CMC2I read an interesting topic on the WPSMB about how Altitude may cause Swelling with some people. I was slightly aware that heat could do this and Harvey Langford has responded to two submissions on the subject. I think thi