Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3952 Members
10 Forums
5759 Topics
52050 Posts

Max Online: 1443 @ 07/29/19 08:40 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition by MtWhitney2017 @ Today at 09:13 PM

Great, thank you both. We will be heading up Friday, camping that night near Long Lake or High Lake, and on Saturday over New Army Pass onto Mt. Langley and back to trailhead that evening. Will provide an update when we return.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: No Walk-Up Permits for 2019 by Kascadia @ Today at 08:56 PM

I'm not sure I can help you with "timing", but I can say that we were able to obtain two Whitney permits on July 3 (we wanted to hike up to Trail Camp for acclimatization) and another 2 on July 5 (we summitted). Although you could make an
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: No Walk-Up Permits for 2019 by Steve C @ Today at 04:56 PM

The no-shows and group-size reductions show up the day before, sometimes two days before. As I write this, there is one Day Use available for tomorrow, but no overnights. You have to keep checking the site to catch one when they pop up. Any slots
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Mountaineer’s Route up Main trail down 8/16 by joeybones @ Today at 03:25 PM

Conditions were similar to recent posts by Sam123 (8/6/19 and BFR (8/7/2019) but less snow. Hiked with one friend; both of us are in decent shape. Completed acclimation hike the day before to Lower Boy Scout Lake. There were still a few spots of
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: October footwear for day trip to Whitney by AdventureUSA @ Today at 01:11 PM

x2 on trail runners. Did the Mountaineers Route last October in them and will be doing the same next month.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition by AdventureUSA @ Today at 01:03 PM

You can take NAP to the top and scramble around the snow/cornice. The route is relatively straightforward. No equipment necessary. I was also there Aug 4 and I'm sure there is significantly less snow now.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: No Walk-Up Permits for 2019 by Jammer @ Today at 11:43 AM

So, this new process for 2019 has been in force for a good while now. Any updates/insights on how it's been working? Do we know yet exactly when the window starts for releasing the unclaimed permits back into the system for possible reservation and
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Williamson, Mt Tyndall, and beyond by futbol @ Yesterday at 10:44 AM

I'm likely headed back to Shepard Pass/Mt Tyndall/Mt Williamson in the next few weeks (probably the weekend after Labor Day). See the picture gallery for recent conditions. The only sketch part is right before the pass. Others said mid-day it was
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition by fit2climb @ Yesterday at 10:18 AM

I was up on New Army Pass on August 4th. The last switchback from the top of the pass is not passable. There is a large cornice in the way as always on a heavy snow year. However, if you stay to the right of the last switchback you will see cairns an
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Williamson, Mt Tyndall, and beyond by Steve C @ Yesterday at 10:13 AM

Many years ago, my hiking buddy and I started out on a similar trek. Short story: We bailed after the 4th night -- windiest night ever in the Sierra. We had really heavy packs, more than 50 lbs. We started up the trail using headlamps, and camped
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Mt Williamson, Mt Tyndall, and beyond by WanderingJim @ Yesterday at 09:46 AM

So, my plan for the week before or after Labor day (I can adjust to go either week) is to start at Shepherd Pass, go up Mt Tyndall, then go up Mt Williamson. Those are the primary goals. After that, depending on conditions and how I feel, I may trav
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Do hikers in the same group have to hike together? by timisimaginary @ Yesterday at 08:42 AM

in general groups should stick together when hiking, but there are times when it's ok to split up too. i usually hike solo, but on the few occasions i've hiked in groups, it's not unusual to split up into a "faster" group and a "slower
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: What's the real elevation of Mt. Whitney? by StorminMatt @ 08/18/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: nykerOn this subject...I see varying elevations for Trail Crest, 13,777ft from past notes and articles or 13,600ft from the sign. Which one is correct? Or are these measured at different spots along that ridge above the chute or
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Day Hike vs Overnight? I’ve Now Done Both by StorminMatt @ 08/18/19 02:18 PM

I think the chief takeaway here is the same thing I have always said: backpack up Whitney for the experience. NOT because you think it will make your hike easier. This goes doubly so if you are either new or relatively new to backpacking. Let me just
General Discussion
Everyone in your group must have been both fast and inconsiderate. 14 hours is not slow, it is about average. Furthermore, you say you would have done it in 13 hours had you not been "cliffed out". Anyway hard to believe that everyone in
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Trip Report Aug 15 by MikeH @ 08/18/19 07:23 AM

Nice report. I'll have to look into that smoke you saw. I'm currently planning a 6 day hike to the summit and back from Cottonwood. Glad to see you around these parts, Cris.
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Trip Report Aug 15 by HikingGuy-com @ 08/18/19 06:01 AM

Successful Summit / Conditions Great Left at 515am. Temps 65F at Portal, down to about 45F at summit, was able to just do a long sleeve and shorts the whole way. Low/no winds. No clouds. Prepped for altitude (coming from sea level) by camping at Co
General Discussion
As for the second point, to clarify, our groups was not a group of random hikers but was a group of hikers bounded by a non-profit organization's safety policies including hike as a group. Further, I had the permits (leader). Even for those who do n
General Discussion
Two things to note on this topic: When people have several extra slots that they won in the lottery, it's really best to just return them to Recreation.gov, and let other people pick them up in the on-line system. Then, you wouldn't have to go to
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition by MtWhitney2017 @ 08/17/19 05:00 PM

Cottonwood -> Old/New Army Pass -> Mt. Langley -> Cottonwood Hello, any recent updates on Old Army Pass or New Army Pass to Mt. Langley? Thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition by MtWhitney2017 @ 08/17/19 05:00 PM

Cottonwood -> Old/New Army Pass -> Mt. Langley -> Cottonwood Hello, any recent updates on Old Army Pass or New Army Pass to Mt. Langley? Thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Do hikers in the same group have to hike together? by StorminMatt @ 08/17/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: AKAKAKI agree that solo hiking is often enjoyable. But that is an off-topic for this thread. Not necessarily. The fact that I was trying to drive home here is that having negative experiences in a group of people can have some
General Discussion
I agree that solo hiking is often enjoyable. But that is an off-topic for this thread. The two hikers who primarily caused the problem was in our group only because they did not win the lottery. They were not interested in taking part in our group bu
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Do hikers in the same group have to hike together? by StorminMatt @ 08/17/19 01:28 PM

I know I might get some flack for saying this. But all of this just makes me realize even MORE just how GREAT solo hiking is. Not only do you NOT have to let bad vibes with other people taint your experience on Whitney (or anywhere else). But I find
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Looking for 2 Day Passes in Mid-Sept by Mary Beth @ 08/17/19 12:45 PM

I'm looking for 2 day passes anytime between 9/13 and 9/22. Thanks for any help / feedback on this!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >