Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
3 registered (RenoFrank, Crion, crito), 33 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3215 Members
13 Forums
5290 Topics
49327 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Got Headphones? by RenoFrank @ 12 minutes 17 seconds ago

Originally Posted By: Halfdomer HomerI'm sure that anyone reading this has the consideration for others on the mountains to use headphones when listening to their music. Apparently not everyone (I do like some SRV). I've been around fairly large
WhitneyZone
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney Zone status by Indie @ 36 minutes 40 seconds ago

Donated..
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Same day permit question by futbol @ 38 minutes 38 seconds ago

I got a walk-in permit last Sunday for a Monday overnight, but they USFS rep said there were permits available for that same day, so yes. What I could not do was get a walk-in permit for a hike 2 days in advance. Also, walk-in permits are free. I
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Need One Permit for Overnight for Sunday 24th by Indie @ Yesterday at 04:10 PM

Thanks Steve.. Appreciate the response
General Discussion
Switchbacks are the way to go until a big dump occurs, which pretty much shuts down hiking season. Even with 6" of snow, with a few people hiking the trail, it gets trampled down, so you don't have to walk through miles of unpacked snow. ...un
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: The Chute vs Mt Shasta by PeteK. @ 09/18/17 09:46 PM

Did Shasta via Avi gully on June 21st. It was full snow from Bunny Flat TH to the summit and back. We started at 4am on nice n crisp snow, summited at mid-day and were back at the car 3 hrs later. The hike/slide down from Lake Helen was very soft and
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: South Fork Pass conditions by PeteK. @ 09/18/17 07:44 PM

That stream crossing is pretty dangerous, it's helpful to have buddies to catch you when you jump, especially with big packs on!
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Miter Crabtree Pass to Whitney 9/11 by psykokid @ 09/18/17 05:43 PM

We were at the top of Crabtree around 12:30 on Saturday when a couple came up and were debating on heading up through the cliff bands or descending to the lake and going up the sand hill from the far end of the lake. They chose the latter. The fellow
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal 9/11-9/14 by MAC63 @ 09/18/17 01:50 PM

Last week, myself and 3 friends completed a 4 day hike from the Horseshoe Meadows trailhead to the Mount Whitney Summit and down to Whitney Portal. Day 1 - Horseshoe Meadows trailhead to Long Lake (7 miles, 5 hours). We followed the Cottonwood Lake
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal 9/15 - 9/18 by psykokid @ 09/18/17 11:39 AM

It's always funny reading the posts that were made in my absence. Trip went well, three long days covering a lot of amazing country. As far as the map, I let caltopo snap the lines of the route to OSM track data where available. While not precise,
General Discussion
super helpful, will definitely add to my packing list. Thank you!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Where Are the Silly Jokes? by + @ti2d @ 09/18/17 07:44 AM

That's gotta hurt. I read on the internet a coyote also met the same fate.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mount Russell conditions by Steve C @ 09/17/17 09:54 PM

It appears KW is monitoring this site. He posted your answer elsewhere. There's some dark history playing here, apparently not completely buried. Here's his post.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Self Rescue off the JMT by Steve C @ 09/17/17 09:43 PM

John Ladd posted this afternoon that he hopes to post his writeup by mid-week. A few years ago I was hiking with Bob R, and we came upon a "day" hiker who had been out on the trail about 36 hours. He reported his back "went out"
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney Main Trail 9/9-9/11 by SierraDave @ 09/15/17 09:53 PM

Final thoughts: Lots of WAG bags left on the trail and one on the switchbacks. Just so sad. I feel almost as if they should number the bags and if you don't return your bag, you get fined. Or you leave a 50 dollar deposit per bag that you get ret
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Two brothers in trouble Sept 11 by Harvey Lankford @ 09/15/17 07:59 PM

We had come over Miter Basin and Crabtree Pass , eventually to camp on Monday Sept 11 at tarns above Guitar. Light rain began at noon, worse conditions higher. About 6pm, two brothers were descending west side with difficulty. We watched. One had a
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Colorado Trek recomendations by nyker @ 09/15/17 07:58 PM

In that case, check out the Chicago Basin area in the San Juan Mountains. For a longer trip, start your hike at Purgatory trailhead, hike in day 1, days 2-4 do some 14ers (4) and 13ers and day 5 hike out. A train is also available but you need to tim
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney Portal Water Shutdown 8/17 by Harvey Lankford @ 09/15/17 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: SierraNevada In addition, she reported they found animal "activity" in the old spring box. So we have a reasonable explanation. when I was there Sept 12, there was talk of simply, duh, putting a lid on the top of the b
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Inyo SAR PSAR Program by JedHiker @ 09/15/17 01:41 PM

Great weather for a 9/14/2017 day hike to Trail Camp. Encountered 5-6 JMT groups on the finish hike to the Portal. No doubt very disappointed about the kitchen closure. All were pretty much hammered by the weather conditions over the past few days an
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Contradicting info between NOAA and mountain-forecast by SierraNevada @ 09/13/17 08:59 PM

It just hit me that we didn't check the local professional forecasters Dennis Mattinson and Howard Sheckter. Major malfunction there. This was a worthwhile exercise to compare NWS, Mountain-forecast, and Accuweather predictions against reality, but i
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Kumar12 @ 09/13/17 04:56 PM

I will submit my trip report later. I did the day hike on 9/11 (Monday) with couple of my friends. We started around 1:30am and two of us summited at 11:30am and another one summited around noon. I think thunder and lightning started around 1pm when
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: How much water to carry? by Test123 @ 09/13/17 04:55 PM

I did my hike 2 weeks back on 9/3. I took 4L of water. But considering the current condition along the trail, there are so many creeks and waterfalls flowing, 3L should be enough.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2 permits needed - Fri 9/15 by Nivi @ 09/13/17 04:44 PM

Hey there are 8 permits available online for 9/15 right now.