Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (joeybones), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3953 Members
10 Forums
5761 Topics
52059 Posts

Max Online: 1443 @ 07/29/19 08:40 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Comfort Dogs in the Backcountry? by StorminMatt @ Today at 02:57 PM

What it all comes down to is whether this “comfort dog” is actually a registered service animal.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: No Walk-Up Permits for 2019 by Steve C @ Today at 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: JammerFor those of us who live far away, but might be somewhere in the greater area for business, it gives some confidence that driving over from Vegas or LA for a few days in the middle of the week won't be a waste of time. Y
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Mountaineer’s Route up Main trail down 8/16 by Steve C @ Today at 02:16 PM

Take a picture of it, and I can post the picture. Send the picture to the contact us link below WhitneyZone@whitneyzone.com Everyone should know, though, that most GPS tracks in the North Fork, and in the lower section of the Main Trail can get rea
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Just released overnite permit (1) for Aug 24 by LuvAdventure2014 @ Today at 12:08 PM

Good luck!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition by MtWhitney2017 @ Yesterday at 09:13 PM

Great, thank you both. We will be heading up Friday, camping that night near Long Lake or High Lake, and on Saturday over New Army Pass onto Mt. Langley and back to trailhead that evening. Will provide an update when we return.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: October footwear for day trip to Whitney by AdventureUSA @ Yesterday at 01:11 PM

x2 on trail runners. Did the Mountaineers Route last October in them and will be doing the same next month.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Williamson, Mt Tyndall, and beyond by futbol @ 08/19/19 10:44 AM

I'm likely headed back to Shepard Pass/Mt Tyndall/Mt Williamson in the next few weeks (probably the weekend after Labor Day). See the picture gallery for recent conditions. The only sketch part is right before the pass. Others said mid-day it was
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Do hikers in the same group have to hike together? by timisimaginary @ 08/19/19 08:42 AM

in general groups should stick together when hiking, but there are times when it's ok to split up too. i usually hike solo, but on the few occasions i've hiked in groups, it's not unusual to split up into a "faster" group and a "slower
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: What's the real elevation of Mt. Whitney? by StorminMatt @ 08/18/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: nykerOn this subject...I see varying elevations for Trail Crest, 13,777ft from past notes and articles or 13,600ft from the sign. Which one is correct? Or are these measured at different spots along that ridge above the chute or
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Day Hike vs Overnight? I’ve Now Done Both by StorminMatt @ 08/18/19 02:18 PM

I think the chief takeaway here is the same thing I have always said: backpack up Whitney for the experience. NOT because you think it will make your hike easier. This goes doubly so if you are either new or relatively new to backpacking. Let me just
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Trip Report Aug 15 by MikeH @ 08/18/19 07:23 AM

Nice report. I'll have to look into that smoke you saw. I'm currently planning a 6 day hike to the summit and back from Cottonwood. Glad to see you around these parts, Cris.
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Old/New Army Pass and Mt Langley Trail Condition by MtWhitney2017 @ 08/17/19 05:00 PM

Cottonwood -> Old/New Army Pass -> Mt. Langley -> Cottonwood Hello, any recent updates on Old Army Pass or New Army Pass to Mt. Langley? Thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Looking for 2 Day Passes in Mid-Sept by Mary Beth @ 08/17/19 12:45 PM

I'm looking for 2 day passes anytime between 9/13 and 9/22. Thanks for any help / feedback on this!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Ride share 8/27 by Markhurwitz @ 08/17/19 08:19 AM

Looking for a ride from Orange County/LA area to Lone Pine on 8/27. No problem helping with gas. I’m a 62 year old male who is mellow and quiet.
General Discussion
Thanks, Stormin Matt. You're right I could have searched. This takes me back to the time leading up to the lottery and limits on Half Dome. I have multiple times written that if they would issue time-based permits -- where people had to be up and
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via Cottonwood Pass 8/4-8/6 by nyker @ 08/16/19 07:53 PM

Nice job Tim, I've always wondered about climbing up from Guitar Lake. Maybe next time, a marmot will run off with that other hiker's lunch and leave the, hungry
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Successful summit 8-14-19 by hammer @ 08/16/19 04:41 PM

Amazing hike and summit. Weather warm. Wind 5-10 MPH. Sunny. Hiked in pants and T-shirt with arm warmers all day. Left TH at 4:15. Summit at 10:30 after 30 min at trail camp for water filtration. Felt great at Trail crest and all the way to the s
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: First time Mountaineers Route Questions by Steve C @ 08/16/19 03:19 PM

In September, you won't need any climbing equipment. Last time I did it in trail runners. For route information, start here: Mountaineers Route info links within... Some of the info is out-of-date (so the links don't work). But for all the links
Trip Reports
Excellent report and pictures.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 1964 Main Trail Pictures by nyker @ 08/15/19 08:40 PM

Cool! Love vintage shots like that, thanks for posting.
General Discussion
Mikayla, keep watching Recreation.gov. Three for tomorrow just popped up. There will be permits for the 17th showing up tomorrow (8/16), due to people picking up their reservations and dropping some slots.
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Trip Report 8/8/19 by tahoeblue @ 08/15/19 04:52 PM

Thanks so much KCMasterpiece. I really appreciate the info. That makes me feel much better. We'll be taking our poles for sure and will have the microspikes just in case. Cheers to low risk tolerance! I feel the same way.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Stove explosion warning by LubkenCanyon @ 08/15/19 10:48 AM

sorry...one liter of water in 8.5 minutes
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Webcam Problem by MikeH @ 08/15/19 07:01 AM

Always enjoy seeing those webcam pics.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Picking up permits in advance by Steve C @ 08/14/19 08:07 PM

The "lady in the ranger station" was talking about the latest time (the deadline) to pick up, not the earliest time. For overnight permits, 10 AM day of entry is the deadline to pick up the permit! After 10 AM, they give your slots away
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >