Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (ScottHikerEsq), 13 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3179 Members
13 Forums
5218 Topics
48780 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: If You are Gonna Get Lost... by John Sims @ Yesterday at 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: + @ti2dApparently they haven't heard of the 10 Essentials... Are you talking about the hikers, or the police:-)
General Discussion
Bear poop in the woods just behind the portal. I'd say they use this path to make there way down for supper or a late night snack. We (I) made a rookie mistake in my excitement and walked straight up behind the big rock rather than looking first he
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Mt. Cotter Dayhike by bobpickering @ Yesterday at 06:36 PM

I usually plan one brutal dayhike a year, and Mt. Cotter (12,713í) was that hike for 2017. Itís over 25 miles and about 10,000í of total gain. I kept putting it off and doing easier peaks because of reports of poor conditions over Glen Pass. Well,
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing couple by saltydog @ Yesterday at 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Snacking BearSteve, Salty is probably referring to more recent reports like this from US News. This has been a predictably deadly season in the front and backcountry. Sheesh. Correct. Also, "last seen" dates on the
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Wag bags by saltydog @ Yesterday at 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: DUGOriginally Posted By: saltydogI am way past outrage on this. But I am still curious. Suppose one does get a citation for not carrying a wag-bag. Or not presenting one when asked. How does the ranger fill the ticket out?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Locate wife - phone number updated by saltydog @ Yesterday at 02:35 PM

Anyone in contact by inReach or other with someone between Crabtree and Kearsarge in the last couple of days?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Bugs by retarded @ Yesterday at 10:57 AM

There were just a few mosquitos on 8/14 but unless you are camping I don't think any chemical is warranted. I normally get bit to heck but no bites this time.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by retarded @ Yesterday at 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Brett Dean I understand that the Portal has a "boil only" policy right now because of water issues, possible e. coli? in the water. I did the day hike on 8/14 and camped at the family campground for two nights. Sorr
General Discussion
Yes, the phone was one - I just had it on flight mode most of the time. I was also using it to take pictures all the way up. The battery lasted all the way up and down. The main drain on any phone is the cellular radio - so as long as you put it i
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Shake-away rodent repellant pellets? by Steve C @ Yesterday at 08:38 AM

LOL!! Now Las Vegas stinks!!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Size of bear canisters by Marcus @ Yesterday at 08:20 AM

After trip conclusion: Bear cannisters are totally unnecessary for the Whitney Trail - if you're planning on camping at Trail Camp. No bears up there, just marmots. Just grab yourself an Ursak, and pile some rocks on it. That's what I'll do next
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: US Army MREs for an overnight summit in August? by Marcus @ Yesterday at 08:16 AM

After trip conclusion: I finally went with a JetBoil + Mountain House Propaks solution - and I'm really glad I did. Not only is it lighter, but it opens up lots of other options, such as hot chocolate, coffee etc. Plus, I was able to put hot water
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Looking for Hiker by saltydog @ 08/15/17 05:57 PM

Please take a look at this post:   ( Link )
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Weather forecast for the coming weekend by rFan @ 08/15/17 05:36 PM

John - that would be great.. Now I started getting psyched up about the hike again
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: How much water to carry? by Snacking Bear @ 08/15/17 02:54 PM

I don't like the weight that comes with carrying water. I usually spring for Mountain House dehydrated water. Just add water and you're cooking!
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: 08/10/2017 solo overnight by david_garza @ 08/15/17 01:26 PM

Echoing what Mac says, you can avoid getting your shoes wet, but it's going to slow you down and you're going to have to be VERY careful in places.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: AMS at 10,000 feet by + @ti2d @ 08/15/17 12:01 PM

Look at the bright side, at your "age" you are doing things other people your age dream about or sit in front of a television wishing they could do that...
The Chat Room
I recently uploaded onto YouTube an obscure JMT documentary made by a SEKI Backcountry Ranger a few years ago. Hope ya'll enjoy!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Williamson / Tyndall inquiry by KaraKyrgyz @ 08/15/17 06:19 AM

Thank you both!
General Discussion
Steve C, thank you for your advice. We will do so.
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Moutain Lion on Mount Whitney? by Snacking Bear @ 08/14/17 03:01 PM

It's a magnificent burly looking cat! Oof. Wouldn't want to be mistaken for prey by that panther.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts White Mountain Peak marmots by Fran_G @ 08/14/17 02:24 PM

Has anyone recently left their car at White Mountain Peak trailhead while they hiked? Any reports of issues with marmots chewing through cables/hoses to get to anti-freeze? Thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Sawmill and Taboose Current Conditions. by vinifera @ 08/14/17 11:33 AM

I went up Sawmill Pass from the TH on Division Creek, and on over to Woods Lake and the JMT, around July 28-Aug 2. Sawmill Pass had a couple minor snowfields on the southeast side, which could be hiked just in boots, although I had my poles. The
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Baxter Pass Trail Accident by Bob West @ 08/14/17 11:23 AM

Mr. Fennessy's body was recovered yesterday. http://www.sierrawave.net/climbers-body-recovered-near-palisade-basin/
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Climber - Tom Fennessy by Bob West @ 08/14/17 11:21 AM

Mr. Fennessy's body was recovered yesterday. http://www.sierrawave.net/climbers-body-recovered-near-palisade-basin/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >