Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
3 registered (saltydog, Jared Casper, calicokat), 23 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2815 Members
13 Forums
4924 Topics
46789 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Death on the Mountaineer's Route by saltydog @ 8 minutes 11 seconds ago

Just to clarify: up the Final 400 from the Notch would be to the South of you, not north.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Avalanche on the North Fork Lone Pine Creek by Snacking Bear @ Today at 03:06 PM

Calicokat fell through a snow bridge on the N. Fork Gully a few weeks back. His feet snagged on some willows keeping him from being sucked under the snow into the creek. Lilbitmo helped extract Calico. Unsurprisingly, it seems that this big snow yea
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Good spring hikes in Eastern Sierra by BFR @ Today at 12:35 PM

Would be interested in hearing views on good spring hiking options in the Eastern Sierra where crampons are not required. The ideal would be something in the 15-25 mile range, in the southern part of the range, topping out in the 10-12k area withou
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Sierra entry roads mid May? by britonwhit(ney) @ Today at 06:01 AM

Thanks. I consider snow a good thing, so a bit left on SG in May would be nice.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current skiing/summit conditions by goldscott @ Yesterday at 10:40 PM

Here's a photo looking up the final 400. The rockband looks to be in the center, but is actually near the bottom of this steep snowfield.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: My Lyell question by John E @ Yesterday at 08:32 PM

Right now the regular route (Lyell Glacier, cl 2/3) is all snow including the chute from the glacier to the summit plateau. It should remain that way for quite a while considering the big winter. Skis recommended. The closest access right now is from
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Griffith Peak Trip Report by nyker @ Yesterday at 05:02 PM

Finally was able to get there! For those who haven't climbed around that area, its a pretty cool climb, I posted a report on it with some pics: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=17717
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Prehike Anxiety by Steve C @ Yesterday at 11:37 AM

Ha! I get real pre-hike anxiety, but it is not something just drummed up in my mind. In my case it is a serious case of "what am I forgetting to pack?", since out on a multi-day trip, one has to take everything required to survive -- food
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by Steve C @ 04/22/17 10:42 PM

Hey tollermom! I remember meeting you at Trail Crest several years ago! Yes, you answered your own question. On May 1, keep checking throughout the day to see if a permit for your day shows up. When it does, get into your existing permit, and add
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Need a permit for July 2017 by ScottHikerEsq @ 04/22/17 09:55 PM

Thanks Steve. I was actually able to grab an overnight permit for one hiker on August 14. I will also try on May 1 to get a permit for my girlfriend and me together.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Lottery: Continuing Exasperation by Marty @ 04/22/17 06:18 PM

True Steve...there is plenty to do there even without Whitney. I could fly into Las Vegas and hike Mount Charleston, then maybe Telescope Peak before heading over to Horseshoe Meadow (where there is plenty to do.) Sorry to sound so peeved!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Where Are the Silly Jokes? by lynn-a-roo @ 04/22/17 06:10 PM

Ha,ha,ha that was definitely SILLY Is April 15 Aussie tax day too?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts East side passes update by Bob West @ 04/21/17 12:56 PM

Here is the latest update from Caltrans on Eastern Sierra highway passes: http://www.sierrawave.net/pass-update-caltrans/ We haven't seen 50 foot drifts at Tioga Pass in a very long time.
Gear Heads
Originally Posted By: goldscottI'd wear skis Aluminum crampons from Black Diamond or CAMP. Just be careful to stay off rocks. I've been using my BD Neve strap crampons this spring - along with a CAMP Corsa Nanotech ice axe which hasn't actually com
The Chat Room
If anyone has friends or family at the Grand Canyon North Rim please ask them to keep an eye out for missing woman and boy in the Tapeats Creek area.
Gear Heads
I have a pair of lightly used Koflach boots for sale for $175 on ebay. They're in great condition still and only have a few trips on them. I'm going up Whitney next week but decided to get a pair that fits better (these are a bit too big on my feet).
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Wood hiking stick vs treking poles by Steve C @ 04/19/17 05:02 PM

Well, from this page, I found a picture. This is how I use the strap. It allows me to barely grip the pole, when putting weight on the pole, since the strap supports all my downward force. I get annoyed when I use a ski or hiking pole when the str
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Planning a hike for late April by martinphysics @ 04/18/17 11:37 PM

Hello. My name is Martin and I am from Czech republic from middle Europe. I would like to hike and possibly climb the mountain in the late April via normal route. My plan is to sleep at Whitney Portal on 28th April, sleep at Trail Camp on 29th April
General Discussion
Thank you all for the comments and advice! I'm so glad there is a forum like this! We will see how it goes, but in general it's hard to imagine a better weekend than hiking on whitney.
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Mountain Lion by WanderingJim @ 04/17/17 09:20 PM

Actually, I've caught one of my cats chirping something like that when she was starting at birds on the balcony. It almost seemed like a decoy to get them to come closer.