Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2878 Members
13 Forums
4969 Topics
47072 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Water at Trail Camp by Steve C @ Today at 09:39 AM

This posted yesterday on Instagram. The Trail Camp pond is buried under snow at the upper right edge of the picture. I would think by now someone could dig down through the snow and find the running water, but it might take some time, with a decent
General Discussion
No permits are required to hike up to Lower Boy Scout Lake on the North Fork (mountaineers route approach). On the Main Trail, not required to hike up to Lone Pine Lake. The hike up the North Fork as far as you are talking is not much more than a &
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: WHITE MOUNTAIN by KevinR @ Yesterday at 07:32 PM

I drove up to the Schulman Grove a few days ago. The first gate was open, and a few patches of snow were easy to drive around. At the Schulman Center the road remains open, but there's a sign posted that there's deep snow ahead. Later, I spoke with a
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Conditions to Summit by June 18th by JLiu @ Yesterday at 09:58 AM

PLEASE post here after your 6/18 trip. I have permits for 6/24 and any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts NEED HIKING PARTNER JUNE 12th-13th by scottycamera @ 05/25/17 08:18 PM

All my friends bailed out on the backpack trip, due to snow. Looking for a friend or friends to summit Whitney with!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: A crash-course in general mountain safety. by Bob West @ 05/25/17 07:49 PM

Very good advice, Brandon. It is an echo of advice posted here for years. Unfortunately, if a person doesn't read this forum or get good advice from another source they will continue on in attempts to climb the mountain regardless of their experience
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: One Every Six Days for 30 years by bobpickering @ 05/25/17 03:51 PM

My very first summit was Cathedral Peak on July 20, 1987. It looked cool from the Cathedral Lakes trail, so I scrambled up the fourth class route. I didn’t even know what peak I was climbing, let alone what “fourth class” meant. My wife was pissed
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by alexw @ 05/25/17 12:35 PM

Great pictures, pretty AND helpful!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 5/22/17 Missing Person -- Recovered by Steve Li @ 05/23/17 05:24 PM

Sorry. Now it is officially confirmed: https://www.facebook.com/InyoCountySheriffsOffice/posts/780035745512328
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney Summit helicopter rescue 5-14-2017 by Brandon Riza @ 05/23/17 04:33 PM

Affirmative. You can actually see me on the ridge in that video at 13:31 in the very upper left corner standing in a white top next to a guy wearing a dark top. This was when I first topped out and noticed them. They edited out my shouts of "Get
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2 Extra Permits June 2nd by wagga @ 05/23/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: saltydogNo kidding. My whole family is still in therapy over a couple of days and nights in SEKI with Steve and Wagga. The rigorous therapeutic regime consists of extended hikes, peak bagging, repeated doses of Yos trail time
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Ueli Steck, Dead on Everest by Snacking Bear @ 05/23/17 03:54 PM

Great video. Just read this stirring obit. from The New Yorker, well written. http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/ueli-steck-and-a-fateful-return-to-everest
General Discussion
I did not know that! Thanks John for the info, very helpful site here
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney on 6/3 weekend by Steve Li @ 05/23/17 12:31 AM

Thanks a lot! Sounds great!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mountaineer's Route Snow in July by Steve C @ 05/22/17 09:57 PM

Due to the heavy snow year this has been, we're expecting snow well into July on the Main Trail switchbacks above Trail Camp. Based on that, I'd plan on finding some icy snow in the chute below the Notch. I Could be wrong, and someone may report
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Ursack -- AllMitey by SierraNevada @ 05/22/17 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: saltydogTwo questions. Does it protect food and packaging from mechanical destruction? Will bears learn that this is not food and either quit or not try in the first place, as with hard canisters? Two more questions: Is the
General Discussion
I have an extra overnight permit starting on August 8, 2017. Looking for an experienced hiker partner.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Half Dome snow question by Steve C @ 05/21/17 08:03 PM

Thanks britonwhit! Do you have any pictures? Is the trail (all those steps and zig-zags) usable going up the sub-dome? I hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls yesterday -- for the first time in my life (Can hardly believe that!) Coincidentally, Yose
The Chat Room
Thanks lynn-a-roo His Garmin/InReach mapshare page: https://share.garmin.com/JimDavidson It's a better view if you change the map type from Aerial to Topo.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Drone flying in the Whitney Zone by SierraNevada @ 05/20/17 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jmester82Sometimes I don't like it when a other people come to the same place and can be several hundred feet away from me or even across a lake but the sound of their voices or music carry over to me and "disturb" my