Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3409 Members
10 Forums
5338 Topics
49301 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: MR Conditions May 20: Snow level, Final 400, etc. by Granola @ Yesterday at 12:58 PM

Thanks for the beta. We are four weeks out from our permit date and keeping a close eye on conditions.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney first-timer 06/02 seeking some advice by Andrewzuber @ Yesterday at 10:58 AM

The first time I summited Mt. Whitney, our group did it in mid-June. As we reached Trail Camp, we caught the last people of the season glissading down the chute, and it was a rough go for them. We did the switchbacks with microspikes and there were
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Conditions outside of whitney zone by Steve C @ 05/24/18 10:05 PM

The Mt Williamson Motel/Base Camp has posted several pictures of PCT thru-hikers in the past week. I think the hardy ones are plowing through.
General Discussion
I would be interested if you plan to start on Sunday. Some things to know about me: I haven't done much hiking in snow and I am not familiar with all the gear needed for hiking in snow but want to go out there to learn from someone who has done this
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Clothing/Gear (Mid June Hike) by Steve C @ 05/24/18 11:17 AM

I expect the switchbacks might be in use by mid-June. If that is the case, trekking poles and microspikes should be about right. If you're going to glissade, you need your ice axe. Be sure to have a look at the "Safe Mountaineering" topi
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ 05/24/18 10:59 AM

Here's a great picture posted on Instagram by adover36 It shows the trail along the crest, somewhere between the Main Whitney Trail / JMT junction, and Mt Muir. click for larger size...
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Links for Safe Mountaineering by Steve C @ 05/23/18 08:40 PM

Feature Topics box how has this thread.
General Discussion
I am going for Mount Whitney mid october and I insisted on doing it as a 2-day trek. I think one day on Whitney will bring me to my limits; always good to have som energy left for the end of the day. Before the end of may I am also going to apply for
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts SOME GAVE ALL... by + @ti2d @ 05/23/18 07:50 AM

Remembering those who gave all in defense of our country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYZYWTPGM0 I knew a man, called him Sandy Cane Few folks even knew his name But a hero, yes was he Left a boy, came back a man Still many just don't understa
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Interested in nearby hikes? by G4u2 @ 05/22/18 04:09 PM

I was thinking of summiting Mt Whitney from Portal and then heading down towards Guitar Lake. I would like to go to the Crabtree lakes, but I'm not sure how the conditions of that trail are. I'm flexible after Mt Whitney though. Thanks
General Discussion
Report here. "A hiker died after falling from the Half Dome cables in Yosemite National Park Monday afternoon."
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Almost to the Summit by David Miles @ 05/22/18 12:13 PM

I have found a little piece of Tyvek tape works great as a permanent patch. If you are driving by Ridgecrest sometime, swing by and I'll fix you up with a tiny patch kit.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt. Langley via Cottonwood Lakes Beta by CanadianGirl @ 05/22/18 10:50 AM

Hello... no I am not going up for a few weeks. I did have friends that went up to NAP on May 19th and encountered pretty clear conditions to NAP with the patches of snow they post-holed through but nothing to require gear. A storm rolled in above t
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Sweaty feet, wool v. cotton socks by KevinR @ 05/22/18 06:35 AM

I've been using sock liners for 20+ years. I use polypro in warm weather, and Smart Wool liners in winter. The Smart Wool are a bit thicker than the 'regular' polypro, and but more importantly, add about 10-15 degrees of warmth to an insulated boot
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Jessica by John Sims @ 05/21/18 09:50 PM

First woman pony express rider to cross Australia unassisted?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Ice Axes and Crampons by wagga @ 05/20/18 11:52 PM

I recommend that anybody untrained person planning to take an ice axe out in steep snow just lookup "Caltrop" - not the weed.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Shasta for late May or early June? by wagga @ 05/20/18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SierraNevadaMinor correction there, Willy Dog. The toilets at Shasta Horse Camp are nice composting toilets, not pit toilets. They're typically very clean and function really well without the smell of a pit toilet - better than
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Shoes? by WanderingJim @ 05/20/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob WestTry sandals or barefoot. My Irish friends hike all year in sandals - in Ireland. When I went over Kersarage Pass last year,there was a guy hiking up barefoot. I don't think I'd ever do that, but if it works for them i