Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2786 Members
13 Forums
4896 Topics
46614 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Tropical Cyclone Debbie by wagga @ Today at 12:21 AM

Finally heard from my sister - she was admitted to hospital with a pain issue - Hospital would be a safe place in a cyclone. Toto (the Dog), however, endured the event in a house with 5 cats... Tens of thousands without power or Internet or cell com
General Discussion
Originally Posted By: bobpickeringOriginally Posted By: DUGOriginally Posted By: cantareDiscounting the potential for extreme heat in the GC, I'd say Whitney's tougher than R2R. Same elevation gain, but you're 6000' higher and the trail is significan
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by RenoFrank @ Yesterday at 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve C This is a picture from the Mountaineer's Route approach. It is NOT part of the Main Mt. Whitney Trail, which is on the other side of the ridge to the south (left side of picture). Is this pic just below Iceberg Lake?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Trail conditions and other hikes April 16th by saltydog @ Yesterday at 02:53 PM

Correct, even a little farther: should have said: to the WZ sign past Lone Pine Lake. And sometimes the rangers don't recognize the differences between Whitney Portal Trailhead, Wilderness Boundary, Lone Pine Lake Trail Junction and Whitney Zone bo
Gear Heads
Jump to new posts Re: Wood hiking stick vs treking poles by Steve C @ 03/26/17 10:56 PM

Interesting that you use them for climbing. I use them especially for descending, but I have a really bad knee, where I can't step down quickly on it -- the poles are a lifesaver for that. The sticks enable me to hike and carry a backpack at all!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Need a permit for July 2017 by ScottHikerEsq @ 03/26/17 10:13 PM

I was unsuccessful in this year's lottery. If anyone who got an overnight permit in July has an extra space, I would be most grateful. Scott 805-231-49 six five
General Discussion
Thanks, all, I'm planning on potentially the east side again.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: July trail conditions by saltydog @ 03/25/17 02:02 PM

I find that map very difficult to read, can't identify enough on it to be useful: but the text seems to indicate that the line between central and south, west of the Crest is the Merced/ San Joaq Divide, to over near Mono Pass and Bloody Canyon/Walke
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mt Whitney Lottery 2017 by Steve C @ 03/24/17 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: 87preludea20a3So if I walk up on any random date can you still get an overnight permit? Or are walk up permits only given to for day hikes the next day? The overnight permits are less available than day hike, especially in Jul
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: C2C2C 11/13 by bruce @ 03/24/17 05:35 PM

That's OK, I don't mind. I got some good advice in this thread thanks to you.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Inyo Road Conditions by 2600fromatari @ 03/24/17 01:02 PM

That was a pretty fast fix on the Portal Road!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: NY Times on the CA snowpack by saltydog @ 03/23/17 08:04 PM

Interesting article, but its not from space, its from a fixed wing observatory. I.e. a plane at maybe 20,000 feet. And its results are not significantly different from the data compiled on the ground. Compare the curves in the article to the graph
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Lone Pine Smokehouse by + @ti2d @ 03/23/17 08:09 AM

Interesting bit of Lone Pine history...Thank you DBD!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Winter pictures by John Sims @ 03/21/17 03:45 PM

A couple more "Winter" pictures. I was in Yosemite Park last Thursday/Friday/Sat. AM, and found little snow. Of course I was in the valley so nothing like Jim's adventure. The first shot is from approx. 2 miles up the 4 mile trail. I was
Picture Gallery
Jump to new posts Winter Pictures by WanderingJim @ 03/21/17 08:36 AM

Some Yosemite winter pictures from Glacier Point and near Sentinel Dome