Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3537 Members
10 Forums
5420 Topics
49935 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Mount Whitney summit - 7/19/2018 by John Sims @ Today at 10:24 AM

Congratulations and "well done". "Text book" example of how to hike Mt. Whitney. Well planned and executed.
General Discussion
If you have no takers yet, itís not much, but I can offer you this . . . Our group of four had a Day-Use permit for July 11th, but didnít hike due to the fire, and we couldnít stay until the Portal reopened. I was lucky enough to land another Day-
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Alternative camping other than trail camp by Dave F @ 07/19/18 11:44 AM

Trail Camp is a zoo, and I found the noise from other campers there distracting. Our favorite spot to camp is in a small glen just off to the left of the trail, about 700 feet before Trail Camp. If you put your tent up against the rocks below the
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by dbd @ 07/17/18 09:59 AM

Friends of the Inyo is among the organizations with opportunities to volunteer. Check their site for a full calendar of events. https://friendsoftheinyo.org/ Immediate examples: Trail Work Thursday ó Whitney Portal July 19 from 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via the scenic route 9/15-9/17 by Rico @ 07/17/18 08:24 AM

Much appreciated psyko. That's actually very helpful.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts SEKI Climbing Fatality 7/12 by Maverick @ 07/16/18 05:19 PM

SEKI NP: Quote:On Thursday, July 12 at about four in the afternoon the parks received a satellite device SOS call from the John Muir Trail/Pacific Crest Trail near Center Peak in Kings Canyon National Park, just north of Forester Pass. A hiker repor
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Mt. Langley- Old Army Pass vs. New Army Pass by Denis @ 07/16/18 02:42 PM

Hi everybody, I'm hiking Mt. Langley next weekend (7.21.18) and I was wondering which route is preferable right now: Old Army Pass vs. New Army Pass given possible snow conditions, etc? Thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: White Mountain Peak Road by dbd @ 07/16/18 02:35 PM

I went up White Mountain on July 6. While driving up to the gate I saw deer and along the trail I saw bighorn sheep. That would justify the presence of mountain lions, but I wouldn't expect one to let you get close. Most commonly seen along the trail
General Discussion
Just a head's up that this afternoon I'll be releasing 3 overnight permits with a July 21 entry date on recreation.gov!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Chinook Sticks Landing on Mt. Hood. by wagga @ 07/14/18 05:29 PM

"The big chopper executed a 'pinnacle landing' right on the slope below the top of the mountain. This is when the crew drops the Chinook's ramp and balances the helicopter on its rear wheels while personnel climb aboard. In this case, the pilots
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Drop pack at trail crest? by cantare @ 07/14/18 03:25 PM

On June 28 while waiting for friends to catch up, I sat at the JMT junction chatting with thru-hikers as we watched marmots and squirrels rifle thru a pack. They will definitely investigate and make off with anything edible. If you're hiking the JMT/