Originally Posted By: Jonishiker
I bet if someone watched you in your local neighborhood there just might be a time where you rolled through a stop instead of the full count to 3.If not you might have OCD (just joking) What you call entitlement is just a home territory phenomenon that we all do occasionally, and when someone climbs or hikes or drives in an area often enough it does start to feel like home territory. But it has nothing to do with entitlement or lack of safety first.

So, by your own logic, it's OK to break the law as long as it's your home turf? Hmmm... that makes most of the periphery of CA my home turf, having grown up in the Bay Area, LA for grad school, and now living here on the east side. Someone else can look up the actual law regarding Road Closures and such, because I'm tired (the workout this morning was called "Mt. Tom" for a reason). But now that I know it's perfectly ok to not follow the rules wherever I consider to be "at home", well...

entitlement: the act of giving (a person) the right to do or have something

No matter how many times you go up there, by going around the sign you are breaking the law. Each time you do it, you run the risk of getting caught. There's your calculated risk, clear as day. I've done it myself, many times, and I've been lucky not to have gotten a ticket. But I would not be surprised if, one day, I came back down to the TOF and there was one there. Bummed? Sure! I mean that's that much less dinero for gear and trips! Kvetch? Probably! No one likes getting a ticket. Do it again? Yup! I like hiking the road for a workout in the evening, but starting the trip from there: blech.

I don't know that I see the people feeling entitled here. But I do hear a crapload of whining.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.