Moose, Moose, Moose.....I'm so jealous.
Bishop, California, my favorite town in America. I started going there when I was 6 or 7. I made friends at the motels my mom, sister and I would stay in. Starlight Motel had the most memories. Yes...I got shot there when I was about 11, by accident. I have walked those canals forever. Brown Trout heaven. Not too many people fish the canal as they want to go to the lakes, but the biggest Brown I've caught was in the canal.....about 17 or 18 inches and skinny as hell. Hmmmm, memories. Duck hunting at Buckley ponds, Pheasant hunting on Airport Road, Chucker hunting near Pleasant Valley. Though I lived in L.A., I considered Bishop my home. We went there about 6 or more times a year. Fishing hunting, sightseeing. I've fished nearly everywhere up there. After I was diagnosed with cancer over 4 years ago, I went to Bishop. I laid down near the canal and looked at the White Mountains. I couldn't imagine not seeing them if I passed. When my kids were old enough (2 years old!) I took them to Bishop. I still remember carrying my kids to the edge of North lake at about 6 in the morning to fish. I fished, they slept in a sleeping bag. I've been there opeing day and closing weekend. I've seen many, many restaurants open and close. My favorite was Jacks. I still like it, but not my favorite. I've gone to and taken my kids to the parks, to Mule Days and oh yea, did I mention, the canal? I remember Brocks, when it was still owned by Jim Brock! I was a kid then, and now I'm not. The stores are still a lot like they were, with the exception of the stores at the North East end of town. Town hasn't grown much. I think it was about 3000 when I was a boy. I think it's about 3500 now...??? The edge of town in most places is still the same edge it was 40 years ago. I guess probably my most memorable Bishop memory was after 30 years of my mom taking me to Bishop to fish, I took her for her last time fishing. She had an oxygen tank on her wheel chair, but still managed to get a smile down next to the Owens. I also took her to Rock Creek on the way to Toms. She didn't catch a fish, a bit unusual for her. But she sure did enjoy herself. What I do remember is when we left Bishop on the way back to L.A. She looked at me and said, "I want to come back again soon." She died two months later and never ever got to go back. I did bring some of her personal items and toss them into the Owens a couple of weeks later....yes, I brought my 2 year old son Cy and my 4 year old daugher, Sascha to Bishop, so I could share Bishop with a new generation. Bishop, my home, where I have never lived.
Thanks Moose, I think about you up there from time to time. From your friend you've never met.....

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier