Checking in for some last minute knowledge and research before the flight on Tuesday. I know this trip only materialized a month ago, but it seems like it has been on my mind all summer. I actually reserved a day pass for Jun 12th but plans fell through (wish I had been polite and cancelled but who knew...). So now that it's here, it doesn't seem real. Can't wait.

Had a GREAT hike with Barb, Gary, and John on Saturday morning. Was astonished to learn that Gary and John met on this board as they seemed like old friends. The three of them were hiking dynamos and I thouroughly enjoyed the last minute workout before Whitney. As expected, they knew everyone on Kennesaw Mountain, were exceedingly generous with their gear and supplies, and opened my eyes to a part of northwest Georgia that I didn't even know existed. Thanks guys!

One of the things they keyed on was the family atmosphere that goes along with Whitney and the Sierras. I learned that Bob Rockwell is a Whitney legend and I hope to run into him at Trail Camp. Also looking forward to meeting Brent and his sister along the way; Gary had nothing but nice things to say about your company. Per the Atlanta veterans, I will be looking for a spot near Consolation Lake to camp, near some ledges, hidden from the wind. I also decided to bring a nip of Maker's Mark with me for the summit... it calls for celebration.

Brent, you probably have better intel than I do on the weather, but from what I can tell it only looks like a dusting. I can't control it so I can't worry about it. wbtravis, no worries on packing too much gear. I am bad at saying no, so most of the stuff comes with me and I eliminate the unnecessary the day of the hike - just like you said. Steve, the Hicks can motor! Glad I didn't have to keep up with Bri as she took the opportunity to sleep in.

All in all, I feel like I'm ready. Just hoping the flight, work, and the weather hold up. Whitney or bust!

Bob