Julius, John, Whitney Fan:  Thanks for the input!

Just to make it clear, Julius is leaving my car at the North Rim, and I leave his at the South Rim. We're trading cars in Barstow. I am pretty good at driving after a hike -- mind is racing, body happy to sit for hours grin So I am going to drive a good distance toward home afterward, stopping wherever I need, to sleep. St George maybe. For that matter, it's a small wagon, and I've slept in back at Horseshoe Meadows parking lot before, and that works, so I could just pull off the road.

I am going to try really hard to get to the Kaibab trail head from the nearest legal long-term parking spot. Hoping to leave the trail an hour before dawn (sunrise@6:21), so not sure what my options will be. Maybe I can arrange an early ride for cash. I'll contact the lodging outfits, too.

I am sure I can carry enough water down the river, since that leg (7 miles, -4800') should take no more than 4 hours. Good to hear I can leave the filter home. John, do you recall what time you started and how long it took? (How many years ago, too wink )

Edit: Whoa! checking lodging, all rooms are booked for Wed or Thursday nights in that week in May!
... Grand Canyon average temps
... There's a 24-hour taxi service at the S rim: 928-638-2631!