> it makes me wonder if our Mt. Whitney venue has anywhere near so much going on to match that.

I believe there are serious problems occurring nearly daily on the Mt Whitney Trail. However, since people who get into trouble can turn around and go down to safety, they can often be helped out by their friends. And also, since going down is so much easier, their problems do not get worse as they evacuate.

On the other hand, in Grand Canyon, when someone is in trouble, they need to go up, which is so much more difficult. In addition, the going up is in the second half of their hike, and they are most vulnerable at the very end of the hike.

Due to the differences, I'd say that given the same number of hikers, the problems at Grand Canyon occur more frequently, and are potentially more serious.

> Steve, I'll bet this information that has been posted ramps up the attraction of your own planned hike, right?!

Not sure if you are referring to the dangers and numbers of deaths, or just to the helpful info JA has been serving up. The dangers don't make it more attractive. I just want to experience the fun and beauty of the place. The dangers however will certainly be on our minds as we prepare for and start on our hike.