Originally Posted By: Ken
sounds like atypical migraine (hemiplegic type) to me.
There does not need to be a headache.
Barometric changes, such as climbing, are a well-known trigger.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/basics/symptoms/con-20026358

does not sound like AMS, as the arm symptom is not typical, and you got better when you got to the top. With AMS, would have expected you to get progressively worse. For you to have frank neurologic symptoms, with AMS it would be Cerebral Edema, which should have had a very different course.

However, going up with the onset of this is insanity.

Hi Ken,

There was a college student on Mt. Dana on way down who had AMS. He did not even know what it is. Classic symptoms, and he knew something was very wrong. Told him to get down ASAP, which he did, faster than me.

Yeah I know on insanity part. My doctor said so you went down right after symtoms? I said no, he said what did you do? I said went to top. He asked why? Said well had gone to so much trouble to get to 12,000 figured might as well go to top. He laughed big time, had a sense of humor. Yes you are right.

Cheers

2nd note, I have never had a migraine. Have had two en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma a precursor. They are different.

I was barely, just barely conscious on Mt. Dana for a while.

Once hit a huge updraft in small plane over Canadian Rockies, the Gs almost blacked me out as was at 11,000 anyway, that is the closest to what experienced on Dana. What helped more than anything was staying upright and hiking, when I stopped it got worse. Maybe constricting muscles helping get more blood to head.

Last edited by Darp; 07/04/14 09:13 AM.