Originally Posted By: Darp
Hi Yury,

I do not drink soda pop, but your point is very valid. You need calories when doing a big hike. I was using cough drops to wet my mouth at high altitude/exertion. Started getting cavities from sugar ones, switched to sugarless ones (which ended up being Aspartame) that is when problem started. BTW CVS sugar-free do not use Aspartame and I do use them for same reason now.

I tend to eat nuts and dried fruit when hiking and filter water.

As mentioned in prior post the bottom line for me is this:

Out of the thousands of ingredients in food, the FDA admits just one (Aspartame) causes 75% of all FDA complaints and 100% of health studies with a conflict on interest on Aspartame say its safe and 92% of studies without a conflict of interest say it causes health problems. Until this thread started I did not know either of those two facts, so this has been very educational for me, and I hope others.

Cheers

Actually, what you posted is simply not true. What you'd previously posted upthread was:

By 1995 the FDA's Epidemiology Branch chief reported aspartame complaints constituted 75 percent of all FDA reports concerning adverse reactions to food, according to Ann Louise Gittleman, Ph.D. in Get the Sugar Out.

That is NOT the FDA saying that, that is Gittleman saying that.

If you have a link to the actual FDA that says that, then lets see it. Remember that you are talking, though, about TWENTY YEARS AGO. There has been a lot of study since then.

But now you are caught in a dilemma: You are citing the FDA as an authoritative source. Ok. But if you live by the sword, you also die by it, because they DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU.

Here is what they currently say, today, 2014:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPacka...tm#SummaryTable

===========

Aspartame is one of the most exhaustively studied substances in the human food supply, with more than 100 studies supporting its safety.

FDA scientists have reviewed scientific data regarding the safety of aspartame in food and concluded that it is safe for the general population under certain conditions. However, people with a rare hereditary disease known as phenylketonuria (PKU) have a difficult time metabolizing phenylalanine, a component of aspartame, and should control their intake of phenylalanine from all sources, including aspartame. Labels of aspartame-containing foods and beverages must include a statement that informs individuals with PKU that the product contains phenylalanine.

Last edited by Ken; 07/06/14 01:21 PM.