This May, I found a boot that is the best of both worlds! I bet there are others!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/salomon-conquest-gore-tex-hiking-boots-waterproof-for-women~p~7238y/?colorFamily=01

These are lightweight Salomons. No break in period whatsoever. Much lighter and flexible than traditional boots. Basically a trail runner that ends higher up your leg.

At the time I bought these, I was developing a numb big toe with my beloved Asolos. I had made an appointment with a podiatrist, but my $#@*&% HMO made me wait 3 weeks to get an appointment. In the meantime, thinking the problem might be impingement, I shopped around for a shoe with a big toe box and found out that Salomons are known for that. Further, I too have followed the boot v trail runners discussion, and these looked online like trailrunners in the shape of a boot, so that intrigued me as well.

Turns out, these new boots delivered on both fronts. No more toe numbness (the toe box is bigger than average). And they are super comfy and light. The only thing is that the sole is not quite as thickly protective as a traditional boot, so for a few hikes my feet were getting a little tired and feeling the terrain. But I figured I'd adapt and I did!

When I finally did see a podiatrist, I brought the new boots with me. He gave them a thumbs up for me (and confirmed the prior impingement issue). He did note that it is important for the sole of a boot to be rigid from the heel to the ball of the foot (the first 2/3 of the sole), meaning that you should not be able to twist or bend the boot/shoe in these places. (I think it is supposed to be flexible after that or you can become vulnerable to plantar fasciitis and achilles heel.) These boots passed that test even though they are so light and seem flexible.