Originally Posted By: Snacking Bear
Hello Knowledgeable Outdoors Community,

I have long been an advocate of high-top boots for any active outdoor adventure. My reasons are the following:

1: Your feet are your most valuable asset, ergo: more protection, more better.

2: With high-tops and appropriate lacing you are better protected from rolling your ankle.

3: Boots tend to be more waterproof/resistant by nature. and it is usually more difficult to get dirt/sand/gravel into your boots.

Yet as I've hiked more and more, I've finally tried my first pair of trail-runners, I love the firm sole and great support but I also love the flexibility and lighter weight. I think I may be converting soon (plus with ankle gaiters, you're just about impervious).

Now as I contemplate doing the JMT and or HST again in the next year, for the first time I'm considering forgoing my boots for TR's. What are your thoughts (specifically for backpacking/scrambling in trail runners)?

Three letters...EVA.

This is the mid-sole material used in trailrunners...and road running shoes. It breaks down very quickly and the pebbles you walk on will feel like razors after about 100 to 200 miles of use. My Kayland Contacts are working on a thousand and I don't feel any rock. So, in the long run, they are a more expensive choice than good pair of European made mid weight backpacking boots.

They are for trailwalking. Forget steep off trail fun stuff.

I use something similar, I use them on short on trailwalks...8 to 10 miles, +<=3,500'. Basically, to save wear and tear on my boots.

Those who are big on the railroad tracks, they work extremely well, not so much for anyone finds a impromptu ridge or drainage exciting.