Hey fellow packers. As the date draws close and everyone gets anxious to see if they are one of the fortunate few to be selected for a Whitney pack date, I wanted to remind new and old Whit trippers alike of something I discovered years back.
While I'm sure it has no doubt been posted somewhere here before, I'd like to remind everyone to keep in mind that there are almost always day and over night permits available each day at the Eastern Sierra Visitor Center, ie the Lone Pine Ranger Station, where everyone picks up their permits.
Each time I've visited there, the staff have told me they have quite a few last minute no shows and cancellations that become available to those in line on a first come basis.
So for those whose hopes are lost in the lottery, consider dropping in to the office bright and early(well before they open) the day of your intended departure and hopefully procure your golden Whitney permit that way.
Worst case, you may not get it, at which point you ask one of the wonderful rangers there for recommendations to alternative trips in the amazing Sierras, such as equally beautiful and challenging Mt Langley.
I imagine you can contact the Visitor Center to confirm if this is still a good alternative option.
Happy Trails. smile