Originally Posted By: Steve C
Originally Posted By: Barbara
I was unsuccessful for an overnight this year (but am pretty sure I will find something come May 1), however one of the dates I had put down was for 2 people starting Sept 2. I see that there are still 8 available spots for that date so I am baffled as to how I didn't get one. Anyone know why this might be? Thanks!

Barbara, I'll call and ask on Monday. It is possible that people who won logged in and canceled their reservations right away. That's the only explanation I have right now. I'll make sure on Monday. The other possibility is that Inyo staff noticed some duplicate winners and cancelled their won reservations.

Ok, HERE is the reason why a few open slots are open where someone had a valid request for that particular date:
The lottery process is run soon after the application period closes on March 15. If someone calls the recreation.gov number or the Wilderness Permit office and asks that their application be rescinded, staff removes their application, and if they won a slot, those slots show up on March 23 as open.

All Overnight dates were completely filled in the lottery process between 6/1 and 10/8, (and day use 6/21-9/27) but you can see here, that there are already some open slots in that date range.