Summited Monday, June 24, 2019.

Firstly, there were two paths we followed interchangeably, the actual Mt Whitney trail (partly covered by snow) and the “snow trail” made by other hikers before we got there. In some cases it was safer to follow the “snow trail”.

Secondly, it was in our best interest to be at the chute by 5:00 AM PST, before the snow started to get soft. We stayed overnight at the Outpost Camp and left at 2:00 AM PST to get there before sunrise.

Thirdly, having crampons, ice axe, and a helmet were lifesaving to get through the chute. The lake at the Trail Camp was frozen, which meant we could not fill up our water reservoir. However, there were plenty of water streams on the way to the Trail Camp. I had 4L, which was enough for me and the hike from Outpost Camp to the summit and back to the camp.

Fourthly, on our way back from the summit, right at the top we followed the trail. Not recommended! It took us too far to the right, far from the snow trail we used to get to the top.

Fifthly, once we got back to the chute the fastest way to get down was to glissade (slide down), using our ice axe to slowdown. I have never done this before. It was a scary experience to say the least. Would I do it again? Yes. I would learn more about it for sure. Also, I would make sure the shirt and other layers were tucked in my pants. Otherwise, I would end up having nice snow tattoos on my belly and back, again. Gladly they are not permanent!:)

Sixthly, in order to avoid walking through many waterfalls and getting our feet wet we came down via the Old Trail, which goes from the Whitney Portal Parking lot Picnic Area and to the John Muir Wilderness sign on the trail. On the way to the Outpost Camp I walked through one of the water falls barefoot. It was very refreshing!:)

Lastly, I highly recommend for everyone who is doing this hike to stop at the Lone Pine Lake on the way in and out. Trust me, it will be worth your time!!!:)

HIKER NOTES: For only $7 one can take a shower at Mt Whitney Hostel. The price includes a towel, soap, and shampoo.
As a treat to ourselves for job well done we treated ourselves to a nice meal at Alabama Hills Bakery (they close at 3:00 PM PST). OMG their food and baked goods are absolutely mdelicious!:)
We split into two groups of three each. One group completed the trip from Outpost Camp to the top and back in 14h and the other group in 17h.

I love this mountain and hope you will find this information helpful. Have a safe and enjoyable adventure!:)