Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2497 Members
12 Forums
4611 Topics
44426 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4904 - 06/04/10 10:44 AM Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2016 (Old)

#45920 - 04/25/16 11:49 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

This posted on Instagram April 25, by xerorisk

They climbed via the switchbacks, then glissaded on the way down.

"No chutes for us #mtwhitney #99switchbacks #whitneyinthewinter"

Caption: We took the switchbacks up but the fastest way down is always the chute smile #glacading #whitneyinthewinter #mtwhitney #whosinfront

edit: Note the cautionary note posted below by saltydog.

Edited by Steve C (04/27/16 06:09 PM)

#45962 - 04/27/16 02:21 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Here's a view of the "chute", the slope west of the 99 switchbacks above Trail Camp, taken by Shri S on April 19.

His report is here. His pictures are here.

#45965 - 04/27/16 03:10 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
saltydog Online

Loc: Valley Ford CA!!!!
Originally Posted By: Steve C
This posted on Instagram April 25, by xerorisk

They climbed via the switchbacks, then glissaded on the way down.

"No chutes for us #mtwhitney #99switchbacks #whitneyinthewinter"

Caption: We took the switchbacks up but the fastest way down is always the chute smile #glacading #whitneyinthewinter #mtwhitney #whosinfront

I should probably be pointed out that the picture here does NOT show good or recommended glissading method. This slope should never be done without ice axe, proper braking and knowledge of self arrest. People have died on this slope, and have lost control even with good technique. These folks just had the good fortune of perfect timing, to descend before any icy patches developed. It only takes one.

#46131 - 05/05/16 03:40 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Here's an outstanding picture from the Mountaineers Route, Upper Boy Scout Lk is out of view to the left, Lower Boy Scout Lk is out of view on the right.

Posted on Instagram, May 4, by dansherman1982

#46274 - 05/16/16 11:58 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

This picture was posted by langie671 on Instagram.

It's the area just above Trail Camp, shows the conditions mid-day. They were returning from Trail Crest where they turned back. (I would have stayed in that well-beaten path in the top of the picture.) Postholing occurs more often near exposed boulders (note the rock on the left.)

Here's the caption:
Quote:
Snow softened on our descent from the chute. I fell in about 2.5ft of snow and couldn't get my leg out. I yelled at Lisa for help but she ends up getting stuck as well. We yell for Fabian and I blow my whistle cause there's no response. Lisa and I wave for anyone down at Trail Camp but no one comes. I start to think "Crap this is some '127 Hours' bullshit right now...I'm not ready. I don't want frostbite...I love my toes"...I went on. 😂😭 Fabian FINALLY comes, laughs at us and snaps pics while I'm yelling. He says, "Girls, it's snow...not quicksand..."

#46275 - 05/17/16 12:06 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

This picture was posted by Emiliya "kvita_svita" on Instagram, May 16.

It shows the trail on the west side of the crest, some distance beyond (above) Trail Crest -- maybe near Mt Muir.

#46288 - 05/17/16 01:28 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Tyoshi Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hi Steve,

I have some photos from 15th.
How do I post here?
Do I have to upload it somewhere else and then paste that URL?

#46289 - 05/17/16 01:39 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Tyoshi]
Billy Beroux Offline

Loc: CA
This is from the FAQ's:

In order to add an image to your message or your signature, you must have the image already available on a web server and reachable by a URL. This can be an image on your own personal web page, for example. To place an image within a message, simply use the following Markup Tag:

For example, if you have an image called cateye.gif and its available from your own website at http://www.mywebsite.com/pics, then you would use the following image markup:

You can do the same for your signature. Click the My Home option found on any page. Then, under the Main Configuration heading, click on "Personal Information, email, password...". Look for the Signature box, and enter your desired information, including any images/markup as above.

Note: To keep the forums loading quickly for everyone, it is recommended that you do not exceed 35k for your image size.

#46291 - 05/17/16 02:30 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Billy Beroux]
Tyoshi Offline

Thank you, billy!

Though 35k file size seems pretty small for today's standard especially with lots of details. For example the Instagaram image above is 231k...

#46292 - 05/17/16 03:08 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Tyoshi]
Tyoshi Offline

OK. Here is the one at the summit.

Snow slope between Mirror lake and Trail camp.

99 Switchbacks and Chute from Trail camp

Sunrise walking up in the middle of the Chute.

Towards the top of the Chute

Sequoia side view at the Trail Crest

From Trail Crest to the Summit

On the way back from the Summit

Going down the Chute.

Edited by Tyoshi (05/17/16 06:11 PM)

#46293 - 05/17/16 03:30 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Tyoshi]
Steve C Offline

Apparently dropbox.com has all sorts of controls to prevent you from storing your picture there and embedding it here. ...checking for an alternate method.

Tyoshi, what is the size of your picture file?

Actually, you can post your pictures in the Picture Gallery on this forum. If you go there, you will find a link with instructions.

Here is the link: Instructions for storing pictures: Uploading Pictures to the Picture Gallery.

Edited by Steve C (05/17/16 03:36 PM)

#46294 - 05/17/16 03:59 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
syoung79 Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: Steve C
...checking for an alternate method.

Imgur.com might work?

#46295 - 05/17/16 05:07 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: syoung79]
John Sims Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, California
I normally use the Whitneyzone Picture Gallery, but there are other options:
TinyPic: tinypic.com
and
Flickr: flickr.com

Both supply Image code for Forums and message boards
Both are free, but do require you to "sign up", and log on to upload pictures. Then copy the link, and paste it in the message board.

Edited by John Sims (05/17/16 05:09 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#46297 - 05/17/16 06:31 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: John Sims]
Tyoshi Offline

Thanks for all the advices!
Now I have edited my post.
Please check.
Or should I create a new post?

Edited by Tyoshi (05/17/16 06:32 PM)

#46299 - 05/17/16 09:13 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Tyoshi]
TommyBahamy Offline

Loc: California
Question

My buddies and I are planning on heading up the MR.

We would like to exit via the Whitney Trail however we are concerned about carrying our gear up the MR.

Can anyone provide any recommendations on whether or not to carry gear up to the summit via MR?

Thanks

Tommy

#46300 - 05/17/16 09:46 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: TommyBahamy]
Steve C Offline

I've done that, but I go ultra-light when I do it. And I make the most of all the hard work, and sleep on the summit. That works if you have spent at least two nights sleeping at or above 10k. Otherwise the altitude makes for a terrible night's sleep.

I would NOT advise hauling gear up to the summit and trying to exit in the same day. It would be a very long and tiring day -- just not worth it.

#46321 - 05/18/16 08:41 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Tyoshi]
Iclimbmnts Offline

Wow, these pictures look beautiful but intimidating! This is the MT, correct?

It looks like one fierce drop off where the person in the blue is on the trail. Makes me kind of nervous to be hiking that area by myself, now I'll know to wait for other to before crossing that portion.

Question, was there a lot of people on the trail?

I'll be on hiking past TC to summit on 5/28.

Thanks

#46322 - 05/18/16 08:56 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Eddie Nee Offline

Hi,

We are planning to hike up Mt. Whitney on June 13th. Since we have no experience in hiking in snow and using crampons & ice axe etc, I am just wondering what the trail condition will be like in June 13th and do we still need crampons? And how difficult would be for us to summit if there is still snow above 12000 feet?

Thank you so much!

-Eddie

#46323 - 05/18/16 10:07 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Eddie Nee]
Steve C Offline

Eddie Nee: At least half of that snow will be gone by mid-june. There will still be some icy spots, so using crampons and ice axe will be good. But it isn't easy to predict, so watch for more reports closer to your trip.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >