Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (nyker), 9 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2731 Members
13 Forums
4829 Topics
46069 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#4904 - 06/04/10 10:44 AM Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2016 (Old)

Note: Sometimes this thread spans a number of pages. You can click through all the pages, or click here to display all in one page.

Edit for 2016: Note that parking this summer is severely limited due to the Whitney Portal road construction. After June 19, there is NO PARKING along the road. Only one car per hiking party is given a permit to park in the actual parking lots at Whitney Portal.

#48611 - 10/21/16 11:25 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

This picture shared on Instagram yesterday by "b.a.a.n."

Quote:
Fire in the Sky
Hiking over 4 hours by headlamp in the pitch black didn't make sense until I turned the corner and saw this. These colors are from the real shot. Not edited. The most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen.

click on it for a larger view.

#48634 - 10/25/16 08:20 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Posted by Phonexay Keobandith on FB. from Oct. 20.

Nice Ice:

#48671 - 10/30/16 12:32 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Posted from the last several days (end of October, 2016) on Instagram by gutsovermatter

"This was our summit today. Trail Crest 13,600 ft
We made the decision as a group to turn back for safety reasons. Overall it was an awesome adventure in the snow."

Also posted, video near Trail Camp:
caption: Wait for it.....watch Mother Nature at her finest.  Strong winds then complete silence.
(click picture for video)

#48672 - 10/30/16 12:41 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Posted on Instagram by _jackli

Proper attire for Mt. Whitney in November.

#48675 - 10/31/16 05:29 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Vavylon Offline

Loc: San Diego
Went up on Saturday attempting an overnight. Abandoned just below Iceberg around 7:00pm and came back down that night. The Thursday storm had apperantly dumped alot above LBSL but rain came Friday and took a bunch of the snow out according to a group I met who had spent a few days backpacking up in the area. It was snowing alot above UBSL Saturday night but was quite warm. A large majority of the ice and snow between UBSL and LBSL had disappeared in a few hours. Winds were gusting pretty good on and off, sometimes it was dead still and others was like a hurricane. Major postholing and falling between rocks in drifty spots above UBSL was making movement difficult.

Suspect roughly the same conditions on MWT but without the postholing between rocks problem since there is more of a trail to work with. The MR didn't really have any sort of followable trail at the time. Sunday's weather has probably changed conditions a bit.

Basic snowcover directly East of Whitney windows:

It wasnt very cold, but the snow/rain was off and on. Used a weather shell top with soft shell pants and gaiters and microspikes. Weather was plenty warm.

#48677 - 10/31/16 11:14 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
mountainmike Offline

Loc: northOrangeCounty
Started Friday 10/28 the day after the initial storm. 10/29 made it to trailcamp 9am with high winds and ice beginning on trail above mirror lake. micro spikes were the order of the day. new storm was moving in 10/30 so we decided to abandon back to trailhead. without a heavy snowfall microspikes are the ticket at least until trailcrest then crampons with snowshoes potentially dangerous or at least useless. there was water available at trailside meadow just before trailcamp. tempos were unusually warm forecast for 40 but probably in mid 50s. It is said the winter weather is unpredictable and that is an understatment as the only good info is here or on the trail as you are going up.

#48680 - 11/01/16 08:14 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Posted on Instagram by emilyabriner

Reported "Coldest I've ever been! Trail Camp at 12K feet on Mt. Whitney! We "slept" in the tent through the craziest wind/snow storm! It actually destroyed our mountaineering tent with three people inside."

#48687 - 11/02/16 01:44 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Jon from Sierra Elevation Climbing in Lone Pine reported today, Nov 2:

"We have a great weather window now. A handful of folks up attempting today. (Hikers are) coming down w reports of knee deep drifts and other areas that were scoured of ice and snow, just bare trail.

Not much consolidation yet so idk if the ice axe would be worth he carry but trekking poles and foot traction would be expected."

#48703 - 11/04/16 03:05 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Luke Offline

Loc: CA
Planning on heading up to Whitney before another storm hits. Anyone know if there is ice on the cable section or windows.

Edited by Luke (11/04/16 03:13 AM)

#48708 - 11/06/16 08:00 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: SoCaltrekker]
jorvack Offline

Loc: CA Sonoma County

Successfully summited Mt Muir, which is just to the south of Whitney on Saturday Nov 5 via the Whitney Trail. Had great weather. Their was quite a bit of snow above Guitar lake. The cables had packed snow not ice. Micro spikes were very helpful, and there was a solid boot pack. Many people turned back on the switchbacks just above the cables. The angle here is steep and you would want to be comfortable in snow travel to continue confidently.

Most of the ice on the trail was below trail camp, very slippery without micro spikes.

Happy Trails
Some photos of the Trail :
Mt. Whitney Trail Nov 5

#48709 - 11/06/16 09:21 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: jorvack]
Steve C Offline

Thanks so much for the report, Ryan G. I'm including several of your pictures here...

This is an awesome picture of the switchbacks. Was it taken from Mt Muir?

The Cables section

#48713 - 11/07/16 08:29 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
jorvack Offline

Loc: CA Sonoma County
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Thanks so much for the report, Ryan G. I'm including several of your pictures here...

This is an awesome picture of the switchbacks. Was it taken from Mt Muir?

Hi Steve C,
Thanks! That view was indeed from the summit Mt. Muir. It was an amazing day for views, the weather and visibility was better than many summer trips!

Ryan G

#48717 - 11/07/16 08:19 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: jorvack]
JC-Hike Offline

Loc: California
Hiked Mt Whitney from the main portal trail this Saturday - Sunday! It was perfect weather for the hiking part, the night at trail camp was a bit cold in the 20s with some wind...
overall though all anyone needed were microspikes and trekking poles. A few people had mountaineering boots and crampons or ice axes but those weren't necessary, at least not this last weekend. (Nov5-6). There was even a few people who braved it without microspikes and were fine, I'm very grateful I had mine with me though.

I would share photos but I'm not sure how to do that on here (though the photos posted up from thuan last week look about the same for conditions)

#48738 - 11/13/16 09:45 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Walter R hiked to Trail Camp on Friday, Nov 11, posted some pictures on FaceBook:

Several pictures:
Whitney Portal is unusually busy for November.

Snow on the trail above Mirror Lake

Pond at Trail Camp is frozen over.

#48877 - 12/02/16 08:21 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
PaullyWogul Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone gone up recently? I would love to know the current conditions... we made an attempt a month ago, I'd love to get back out there.