Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2372 Members
12 Forums
4484 Topics
43340 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#4904 - 06/04/10 10:44 AM Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Older posts moved here:
  Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2015 (Old)

#44769 - 11/08/15 09:34 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Rohan posted these pictures on FB from today, Nov 8. He hiked almost to Trail Camp.

Parking at Whitney Portal

Trail head structure

"Nice and easy on snow"

The log crossing is slippery

Mirror Lake

#44819 - 11/17/15 08:58 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

This was posted on Instagram Nov 14 ago by nigellipps.

Caption:
Quote:
[nigellipps] So it turns out if we're not macho enough to finish Whitney, up against a shear cliff where our feet slip every other step, we have to pack out our own dung... #failed #mtwhitney #ishallreturnagain #wasalmostthere

[imranthechemist] Came here 4 days ago. Slipped and my pack dragged me off the side of that big rock just after the cables, plummeted down. If the snow wasn't deep and powdery. I'd be dead. You made a smart choice man..

#44906 - 11/26/15 11:43 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
yeahi Offline

Loc: California
Hi, quick question!

Anyone know the conditions of Lone Pine Lake? Was considering heading to the Alabama Hills, spending 1 night down below on Friday (11/27) and then heading up the trail Saturday and spending the night at Lone Pine Lake. Not really trying to hike Whitney (have a gf and dog), but would still like to enjoy a small slice of it.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Devon

#44907 - 11/26/15 09:22 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: yeahi]
Steve C Offline

Originally Posted By: yeahi
Hi, quick question!

Anyone know the conditions of Lone Pine Lake? Was considering heading to the Alabama Hills, spending 1 night down below on Friday (11/27) and then heading up the trail Saturday and spending the night at Lone Pine Lake. Not really trying to hike Whitney (have a gf and dog), but would still like to enjoy a small slice of it.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Devon

Conditions are: EXTREMELY COLD! NOAA weather forecast is for 5 degrees at Whitney Portal Friday night. 23 even in Lone Pine.

You might try visiting the portal (ONLY if you have a car capable of driving on completely icy roads), and hiking a little if you feel like it. But I would turn around and camp down at the Tuttle Creek campground. That would be a very cold night, but not as bad as up at Lone Pine Lake.

I have a friend (wagga on this message board) who tells a story about taking a girlfriend on a snow camping trip like that. She was soon an ex-gf.

#44908 - 11/26/15 09:58 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
wagga Offline

Loc: Cairns
Originally Posted By: Steve C
I have a friend (wagga on this message board) who tells a story about taking a girlfriend on a snow camping trip like that. She was soon an ex-gf.

Around the turn of the last century, went to Ruby Lake. The trails were high-angle skating rinks. Froze the dog, too.

#44911 - 11/27/15 09:29 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
yeahi Offline

Loc: California
Haha, thanks! Looks like we'll be trying to snag a spot to camp at Death Valley today, then just camping down in the Alabama Hills tomorrow and explore around. No Lone Pine Lake this time! Thanks again!

#44921 - 11/28/15 09:05 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Current conditions posted by Pete K on FB:
Quote:
OK, so an update on conditions on the Mt Whitney Trail today. Myself and my step-son AJ broke trail from the Portal to Trail Camp in 4 hrs this morning. About 1-2 inches of new snow on the road up to the portal and on the trail for the first 2-3 miles. Really cold temps in the early am!! Snow depth gradually increased as we ascended to TC. Snowshoes NOT needed although we passed quite a few people carrying them! We used micro spikes the whole way.

The snow right now is very dry, soft and fluffy, in other words not consolidated. Have no idea what the conditions on the switchbacks above TC are like but my guess is unconsolidated new snow possibly making for slippery conditions even with crampons!? We made the decision to turn around at 10 am (early?) and got back down to the Portal by 1 pm. There were some campers at TC who said Friday night up there was EXTREMELY cold and also hadn't tried to summit. We also passed a couple of other parties on their way up who where planning on summiting today....don't know if they made it but they were sure leaving it late.

In approximate 8 hrs on the trail we had sun for about 1-1.5 hrs TOPS so if you're planning a trip in the near future please don't plan on the sun for warmth, bring lotsa warm clothes! Hope this helps for anyone trip planning. Enjoy the pics!!

#45000 - 12/14/15 08:49 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Posted on Facebook Dec. 14 by Andrew R.

He reported: "Was nice to drive up to Mt Whitney and tame a hike in the snow."

But last night a storm dumped snow low enough to blanket Whitney Portal and the road. So driving up there would be more challenging now.

Edit: Andrew R has subsequently posted that the pictures were taken "a couple weeks ago".

Additional picture:

Edited by Steve C (12/14/15 11:34 AM)

#45014 - 12/16/15 12:32 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Noxx Offline

Loc: Canada
Current road conditions (as of Dec. 16th)

Will report trail conditions this week-end.

#45020 - 12/16/15 10:15 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Noxx]
Steve C Offline

Noxx, Thank you for posting the pictures!

One thing that stands out: The road has been plowed.

But then this picture is posted on Facebook. Sure are mixed messages.

At the same spot:

#45031 - 12/18/15 11:32 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Mikey Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
New guy here, thought I'd post some images of the MR route from Thanksgiving (26NOV2015):

Looking North over Iceberg Lake & before the chute looking at Mt. Whitney from Iceberg Lake:

#45129 - 01/17/16 11:30 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Pictures by Rohan A on FB

Whitney Portal Road

Whitney Portal

The trail

#45286 - Yesterday at 01:55 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Whitney summit, Feb 11, 2016

#45287 - Today at 07:05 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
echo8 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
How? ... Steve has wings! much appreciated! Looks very dry. Did you get any shots of top 400ft of MR?