Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
2669 Members
13 Forums
4750 Topics
45397 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#4904 - 06/04/10 10:44 AM Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2016 (Old)

Note: Sometimes this thread spans a number of pages. You can click through all the pages, or click here to display all in one page.

Edit for 2016: Note that parking this summer is severely limited due to the Whitney Portal road construction. After June 19, there is NO PARKING along the road. Only one car per hiking party is given a permit to park in the actual parking lots at Whitney Portal.

#47064 - 07/19/16 09:17 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Here's a picture of the last snow on the trail this summer, posted on FB by Plan & Go Hiking (@planandgohiking)

The spot is about a quarter mile, and 400' elevation, before the summit.

#47076 - 07/21/16 01:54 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
adventurer456 Offline

Loc: adventurer456
Can someone get a picture of the chute?

May go up the switchbacks and descend the chute.

#47112 - 07/24/16 10:38 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: adventurer456]
Briang191 Offline

Loc: Ca USA
Made it to the summit today. Weather was perfect. I wanted to thank everyone for providing information to make
This happen. Also is there a lost and found?

#47118 - 07/25/16 12:29 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Briang191]
Steve C Offline

No lost and found here. Did you lose or find something?

Edit: You can call the Visitor Center or the Wilderness Permit office, but with sunglasses, I doubt anyone would turn them in.

I only take cheap sunglasses on hikes -- because they get lost so easily.

Edited by Steve C (07/25/16 08:42 AM)

#47121 - 07/25/16 05:29 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Briang191 Offline

Loc: Ca USA
I lost a pair of sunglasses

#47125 - 07/25/16 08:31 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Phiker Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Summited Saturday July 23rd, coming up from Guitar Lake and back down on the main trail.
Of course, no snow left on the West side but a significant amount of water on the lower portion of the Western switchbacks. The only patch on snow on the trail is near the summit, the usual. However, it is very easy to navigate. No traction necessary. I saw plenty of tennis shoes and even sandals make it to the summit...
Coming down on the Eastern side, there is no snow left on the trail. Only a couple of patches above and below the cables but they are next to the trail, hugging the granite walls. Still plenty of water on the trail and the switchbacks.
All creek crossings were a breeze.

#47185 - 08/01/16 02:48 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

There is a useful report here in the Road Construction thread:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads...&#Post47182

Tips on electrolytes, wag bags (and marmots), and parking.

#48102 - 08/13/16 09:07 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
TB40 Offline

Loc: CA
Summitted yesterday...

Stating the obvious here, but zero issues, snow, or obstructions on the trail. Temps were very nice, 95% of the day I was in a t-shirt and gym shorts. Still enough water flowing on the way up the switchbacks to easily collect in case that is helpful, the lake right next to Trail Camp seemed a bit stagnant, I was planning on collecting water there, but opted to skip.

The Marmots are in full effect - one tried, literally, to steal a protein bar out of my wife's hand when she looked away. She screamed in my face, causing me to scream, which gave everyone in the vicinity a good laugh. We met some backpackers who came up from Guitar Lake and dropped their bags at the "corner" just past/below trail crest. When we returned, a marmot had chewed through a pocket in his bag to get at an empty wrapper. In another case, someone stashed their bag behind a rock on the back trail before the summit. A marmot absolutely destroyed/shredded the pack.

Thanks everyone who provided information on this site, I would not have successfully summited without the help.

#48194 - Yesterday at 08:10 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Frankie Bones Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Happy Tuesday!

Our group of 4 reached the summit on Sunday before the weather rolled in. Temperatures were manageable at trail camp with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the 40s. Summit temps were mid to low 40s around 8am with a light wind. Overall the trail was in great shape with no issues or obstructions -- water was flowing, as earlier stated by another member, around the 23-25th switchback. Marmots were rarely seen on the topmost ledges of trail camp where we were setup but we hung our packs with some rope over a steep rock just to be safe.

Everything went as planned aside from our group witnessing an elderly gentleman take a fall just below trail side meadow. Fortunately he was not too badly hurt -- laceration to the lower leg and arm as well as a broken finger. We were able to clean and bandage the wounds and I fast packed out to find a ranger for additional assistance. Fortunately one was not far from Outpost however upon relaying that there was an injured elderly hiker with the aforementioned injuries an unknown disposition he seemed more interested in questioning us on our permit and wag bag usage. A bit disconcerting to say the least.

Despite that and after some additional assistance we were all able to help walk the gentleman down to the portal before the storm rolled in and get him a ride to a local hospital for further evaluation.

A unique ending but a solid reminder that anything can happen. Be safe and enjoy the journey.