Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 51 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Mt Williamson Route Options bobpickering 04/23/24 05:03 PM
Yes, Whitney is much more popular than Williamson, but the quota for Whitney is much larger. I’ve been over Shepherd Pass 20 times, including seven trips up Williamson. Four day-hikes and three overnight trips (one in February). The Shepherd Pass trail is a lot of work, but it’s a good trail. My only trip up George Creek was December 1995. It was a god-awful bushwhack with too much snow for bare boots and not enough snow to walk above the brush with snowshoes. I would have needed four days, and I only had three. Maybe the use trail is better than it was 29 years ago, but if it isn’t, you’ll regret George Creek.
3 116 Read More
Re: Mt Williamson Route Options Philippe 04/23/24 05:15 AM
If you get GPS tracks for the first few miles, George Creek is a fairly easy to follow use trail and really not that bad of a bushwack. The approach to Williamson from Georges creek is an easy class 2. If you plan to stay overnight, you could do a loop via Trojan peak and lake Helen of Troy, which are also easy class 2.
3 116 Read More
Re: Mt Williamson Route Options bridamour 04/22/24 10:21 PM
The Shepherd Pass route is a maintained trail all the way up to 12,000. I've been up that route 3 times and down it 4. It's a trudge, but an 'easy' trail to the Sierra crest. From there to Williamson, the route finding is straightforward but the terrain is varied. Anvil Camp is a good spot to split the climb. There are plenty of tent sites up at the pass as well, but that location is much more exposed. I've stayed at both locations - neither is better than the other. Depends on conditions and your interests. Higher up puts you closer to Williamson.

From reports I have seen, George Creek is an unpleasant bushwhack and is a less certain option for reaching the summit despite the more direct line.

If you have any flexibility on dates, you should have no trouble securing 2 permits in August for Shepherd Pass during the rolling 2 week 'walk up' permit window. The significant elevation gain seems to reduce demand for these permits. You can expect some other parties on Williamson on a weekend and may have the mountain to yourself during the week.
3 116 Read More
Mt Williamson Route Options frankthevi 04/22/24 09:56 PM
A couple of questions for my Sierra vets...

Dad and I are looking to booked Williamson via Shepard's pass trail for August. Problem is, we are east coast and the pass system doesn't let us reserve until two weeks before. What are the odds we'll get two for Shepard's pass? I've heard that Williamson isn't nearly as popular as Whitney.

The follow up to this is: I'm debating reserving George Creek trail to WIlliamson passes as a back up plan. Has anyone done that trail?
3 116 Read More
Gear Heads Jump to new posts
Re: 36 Degree sleeping bag for Late July JMT/Whitney trip? AndrewK 04/19/24 04:07 PM
Never hiked Whitney before but it's always good to hear people confirm the rating for tents. I recently purchased a 20-rated sleeping bag.
2 3,500 Read More
Re: What size backpack for early season day trip Owen Strolle 04/18/24 09:41 PM
I'm attempting the mountaineers route. Currently planning on going this April before the quota kicks in but we will have to see if weather is permitting on my dates.
2 298 Read More
Re: What size backpack for early season day trip Steve C 04/17/24 04:04 AM
I've never done a ski ascent, but if your gear "just barely fits" in the 36L pack, that one sounds about right. If you're skiing, you don't want something too big flopping around on your back. Add a couple of extra straps, and you can tie your clothing layers on the outside of the pack if they won't fit inside.

Good luck on the trip. Are you trying the Mountaineers Route or Main Trail route?
2 298 Read More
What size backpack for early season day trip Owen Strolle 04/12/24 11:56 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and here with a question! I'm planning on attempting to climb and ski Whitney at the end of April this year and I'm wondering if anyone had backpack size recommendations. My plans are to do it in one day, so no overnight gear. For anyone who has done a ski ascent day trip, what size pack did you bring? I have tested packed a Dakine 36L and an old Osprey 48L. Osprey seemed a bit big, and the Dakine just barely fit everything so I'm wondering If I need to buy something in between. Thanks!
2 298 Read More
Re: Lottery Results Snacking Bear 04/09/24 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Steve C
Joshua, after those two trips, either she's a keeper or she'll be fleeing for someone/someplace more civilized! grin

Haha, this will be the REAL test.
19 1,632 Read More
Re: Lottery Results 60North 04/09/24 07:45 AM
Looks like it’ll be an interesting May, June. The Sierra snow pack picked up steam late this year and is on track for the second largest in a few years, 2023 being pretty much off the recent charts.
Looking back in the threads here, 2023 had discussions into August on snow conditions on the 99 switchbacks. 2022 and 2021 had significantly smaller snow packs. In 2022, no comments that I could see on trail snow conditions around May, June. Probably a sign that people are getting up and down okay. Back in 2021, there’s commentary that the main trail was pretty much snow free by middle of May. 2020, a little later snowpack, but not huge, there’s pictures & discussion around June 23rd about the trail reopening. Looks manageable. 2019, another relatively decent snowpack and there are some notes around 1st week July that’s there was a lot of snow on the trail.
Probably still a toss-up right now if the 99 switchbacks will be navigable without some equipment in late June, even if microspikes. Could be more snow in the coming weeks and who knows how fast it’ll all melt.
Overall my money is with bobpickering succeeding with crampons, June 19th. 40 times up, that’s a ton of know-how and experience. A legend.

Snow pack charts here. And, this isn’t necessarily a Whitney predictor. I think it’s Phillips Station data, west of Tahoe. Whitney is its own thing.
https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-sierra-snowpack-2024-records-drought-history/
19 1,632 Read More
Re: Lottery Results bobpickering 04/08/24 03:42 PM
I'm planning my 40th ascent June 19. I'm going, crampons necessary, or not. I'm guessing the MR will require crampons and axe, and the trail may not.
19 1,632 Read More
Re: Lottery Results hikermama77 04/08/24 03:37 PM
That's close to my date. What are your thoughts on the snow levels at that time?
19 1,632 Read More
Re: Lottery Results hikermama77 04/08/24 03:36 PM
Hi, I got a permit for late June, but I'm going to be watching snow levels to see if it's possible to go without having an ice ax/mountaineering equipment. If anyone else is watching at that time period, would love to know thoughts! It will be my first time.
19 1,632 Read More
Re: Lottery Results Steve C 04/03/24 03:10 PM
Joshua, after those two trips, either she's a keeper or she'll be fleeing for someone/someplace more civilized! grin
19 1,632 Read More
Re: Lottery Results Snacking Bear 04/02/24 05:04 PM
In for late September!

Doing Whitney a week after Rim-to-Rim. It will be my girlfriend's first trip on both.
19 1,632 Read More
Re: Outpost or Trail Camp 395North 04/01/24 06:13 PM
We've done both and they have certainly their pros and cons. The thing we loved the most about starting from Trail Camp was we could roll out of our tent and have the switchbacks literally in your backyard, and later in the day when coming down it was glorious to have your tent there waiting to lay down in after you descended.

However, we enjoy Outpost a lot more as the water sources there feel cleaner, you got shade and it doesn't get as windy. Starting from Outpost was a lot more challenging for our old legs, but it was a very easy 4 mile hike to haul the gear up to that point, we acclimated for two days and then went for it.

This year we're still on the fence on the strategy. Trail Camp feels like you're on the moon, it's boring, but oh so darned convenient when it comes to the push to the summit.
2 395 Read More
Re: 2 night options for exit - lottery Steve C 03/29/24 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by HikerGirl111
I won the lottery for July last week. I wanted to seek out ideas for exit points which are about 2-3 nights including summiting Mt Whitney ..

In other words, where can I exit from which can give me 2 nights on the trails. I looked up cottonwood lakes but that seems more of a 4 night. So I am looking for options where I can camp for 2-3 nights

Any advice or guidance or ideas appreciated…
I assume you won a slot to enter the Mt Whitney main trail and spend a night (or any number of nights) in July.

There just aren't many options for two nights, unless you simply take your time, and enter and exit at Whitney Portal. Other options, as in backpacking over Trail Crest and spending more nights pretty much involve at least 3 nights, and 4 if you don't want to go for long days.

If you felt strong, you could do the Mt. Whitney hike, and spend an extra night, and climb Wotan's Throne, the peak just north of Trail Camp. From its summit, you get a grand view of Mt Whitney and the surrounding peaks.
2 346 Read More
Re: Outpost or Trail Camp Steve C 03/29/24 05:20 AM
Day 2 is a doozy... Part of that is due to the work required to haul all your stuff up the extra 2k elevation, and the worse conditions for sleeping. By sleeping at OC, you have the extra 2k, but without a heavy pack.

Why not try it out and see how much difference there is?

You could also throw in a little extra food, and spend two nights at OC. That would make the trip that much easier.
2 395 Read More
Outpost or Trail Camp Wiff 03/27/24 07:31 PM
Hi all. I have always done the overnight trip the same, but wondering if there's a better idea.

I always:
Day 1: Hike from Portal to Trail Camp.
Sleep at Trail Camp.

Day 2: Leave gear at Trail Camp and summit, return to Trail Camp to get stuff, and hike back to Portal.
That day 2 is a doozy. A friend thinks it might be easier to sleep and leave gear at Outpost, so there's less to carry for a mile and a half or so.
I think that that will just make the second day that much longer.
What say y'all?
Thanks.
2 395 Read More
Re: 2 night options for exit - lottery 60North 03/26/24 03:46 PM
Might depend how far you’re comfortable traveling daily. We’ve done Cottonwood Pass to Chicken Springs Lake (overnight 1); to Rock Creek (overnight 2); Guitar Lake (overnight 3). Heading out over Cottonwood Pass to the PCT makes this 4 days, 3 nights from Whitney with some great hiking. Car shuttling took some planning. Overnighted in Lone Pine before setting out. Also several options along the way to shorten or lengthen individual days as you might need. We didn’t find a 2 night trip…I’d also be interested if ideas come up!
2 346 Read More
2 night options for exit - lottery HikerGirl111 03/26/24 01:12 PM
Hello all

I won the lottery for July last week. I wanted to seek out ideas for exit points which are about 2-3 nights including summiting Mt Whitney ..

In other words, where can I exit from which can give me 2 nights on the trails. I looked up cottonwood lakes but that seems more of a 4 night. So I am looking for options where I can camp for 2-3 nights

Any advice or guidance or ideas appreciated…
2 346 Read More
Re: Lottery Results Steve C 03/26/24 04:29 AM
I don't think adding an alternate would be possible after being awarded a slot (even unpaid-for). But it won't hurt to try, I suppose.
19 1,632 Read More