Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Jump to new posts
Tyndall this week - seeking condition info Heuschele 05/25/24 09:51 PM
Looking for any info from anyone who has done Tyndall this season/recently. Child planning on doing north west approach possibly tomorrow. I have done east approach but due to being too far north ended up on north side of the thumb on the way up. So I know how to get over it and so does my child. The way down I did better at ideal east route and it was an easy walk down virtually all on slab.

Is the northwest route under snow/ice? They will have crampons and ice ax. He is better with crampons than I am but I am better with the ice ax. Overall I would put hm as competent but far from expert with snow/ice.

By the way he is approaching via kearsarge and forester and exiting via shepherds. He has done snow covered Forester before.

Thanks for any info.
0 125 Read More
Re: Help with info to 2 foreigners to visit Whitney AndyC 05/24/24 12:42 AM
If you want to try a 14 thousand foot peak besides Whitney do Mt. Langley out of Horseshoe Meadows. 4000 feet of gain over 9 miles and trailhead starts at 10000 feet. Better views than Whitney and no permit required for a day hike.
2 293 Read More
Re: Help with info to 2 foreigners to visit Whitney RichardK 05/23/24 07:20 PM
I believe that you mean "permits" when you say "tickets." The number of permits are limited for both overnight and day hikes (60 and 100). At this time, all available permits for the month of August are fully subscribed. You can check the recreation.gov website periodically to see if any permits are turned in. I would not count on this happening. A lottery is conducted during the month of February to assign permits.

Consider alternate hikes. For example, the trail to Meysan Lake is near the Whitney Trail. It travels through beautiful country passing several small lakes to arrive at a high mountain lake. The nearby Horseshoe Meadows area offers a variety of hikes all through beautiful areas.
2 293 Read More
Help with info to 2 foreigners to visit Whitney Maya 05/21/24 04:40 AM
My husband and me are planning to visit for first time US and we are arriving to Las vegas on August, and he´s so excited about the idea of climbing mount Whitney. But we don´t have a clue on how to get tickets, and to book correctly using https://www.recreation.gov/. It seems to us the main route to go it´s not available for the week we are there. We arrive on August 11, 2024.

Could someone tell us how we can find an alternative to get to the peak? we want to spend one night and do the whole route in 2 days, if not possible, how can we get an option of 1 day?

Please I'm getting crazy shocked trying to understand the booking system in US. And we are travelling from Costa Rica.
2 293 Read More
Re: Two climbers recovered on Mountaineers Route. Steve C 05/19/24 12:37 AM
A third hiker was hit by rockfall in the North Fork Lone Pine Creek area on a guided climb, and died May 12, 2024.

Hiker killed by falling rock near Mount Whitney
Inyo County Sheriff's Office report
1 876 Read More
Re: Mountaineering Route Final 400 and Easy Walkoff Fall Zones Steve C 05/19/24 12:13 AM
Thanks Jaym.
It's definitely the Red section. The other sections on that "walk off" descent have broken boulders throughout the section, except a short section, between the start of the Final 400 ascent and a few yards to the west.

Here's a link to pictures and a thread from 2018 or 19, showing the route, and a picture with two abandoned ice axes where the hiker tried to cross the section and failed. That spot is the most treacherous place on Mt Whitney in May. That hiker had two ice axes, but no crampons. He should have descended via the Main Trail (his camp and gear were at Trail Camp), but must have mistakenly gone down the wrong side.
1 269 Read More
Mountaineering Route Final 400 and Easy Walkoff Fall Zones jaym 05/18/24 06:21 PM
With the recent and recurring falls. I played with "gimp" on a North Face image and came up with a guess of the following ice fall zones for the Easy Walkoff.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TvukTcnCvRxE1QXWJteyyXJV_CemvykI/view?usp=drive_link[/img]

Red section (Final 400): Dead.
Violet section: ?
Blue section: ?
Yellow section: ?

Jay
1 269 Read More
Two climbers recovered on Mountaineers Route. Steve C 05/10/24 06:44 AM
Inyo County Sheriff report: https://www.facebook.com/InyoCounty...axbmFiQRFTFWI6l&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R]-R

Here's an LA Times article... https://www.latimes.com/california/...MyhUmVB6nQrbSMgKfHqpEUuiINfPVP-VziMRyXRB

Sacramento Bee: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article288435189.html (behind a paywall, unfortunately)

Tuesday, May 7, 2024:
Three had summited from the Notch, they became separated descending the Final 400 (back down to the Notch). The first hiker waited at the notch, but the others never arrived.

Not sure why he waited until 8:30 pm to report. Also... It's never a good idea to move ahead and leave people behind.

Apparently they slipped and fell down the north slope of Mt Whitney, toward Arctic Lake, since recovery was turned over to Tulare County authorities. There is a notorious steep icy section at the bottom of the Final 400, one slip and it's over. That section must be traversed if they descended via the (not so) "easy walk-off". Or else they slipped someplace while descending the Final 400. Both descents encounter that steep icy spot.

May they rest in peace. It is so sad to learn of Whitney fatalities.

edit: more discussion here: Mountaineering Route Final 400 and Easy Walkoff Fall Zones
1 876 Read More
Whitney Portal Road Update? jackeichler 05/08/24 11:29 PM
I see online in the Inyo County road closures summary there is a detour on lower Whitney Portal road but it appears you can get up to the third gate higher up? Any updates on this would be appreciated. Planning to go up Meysen Lake trail May 19 or 20 and would like to confirm getting to the parking area near the campground that accesses that trailhead is accessible.
Many thanks.
0 359 Read More
Re: JMT 2024 SOBO advice WanderingJim 05/08/24 01:08 AM
Ah. I usually think of that as starting from Tuolumne Meadows so didn't get the LC reference.

Have fun.
3 507 Read More
Re: JMT 2024 SOBO advice abe 05/07/24 06:00 PM
Ok. Thank you. I'll stick to my bag I think.
>> Where is "LC"?
That is the Lyell Canyon trailhead. As you probably already know, but only 50% of the "Donahue exit" quota is now from the Happy Isles trailhead. So I do get to skip the first 20 miles / 3k climb out of Yosemite which is a mild positive.
3 507 Read More
Re: JMT 2024 SOBO advice WanderingJim 05/05/24 06:12 PM
Glad someone got some use out of my JMT trail reports.

For #1, I had a 32 degree rated bag on the JMT. And while there were some cold nights on the trail where I had to wear my down jacket, never really felt like I was freezing. I did wear my fleece pants most nights. So, if you can layer up, a 39 degree bag may be okay.

Where is "LC"?
3 507 Read More
JMT 2024 SOBO advice abe 05/04/24 07:21 PM
Hello all,
Long time lurker but first time poster. I know this is not a JMT board and for that I apologize but I like the advice given in this group. ( I have indeed joined the JMT FB group). I have looked at some of the JMT posts here as well as WanderingJims's recent TR.

I have a JMT2024 SOBO permit starting at LC with a July 24 start date. I have not done a long backpacking trip like this so I am doing my best to prepare and plan. I am trying to go light but not ultra light. Here are my questions:

1) I have a REI magma 30 bag (comfort rated for 39F). Is that adequate if I don't mind sleeping in my puffy jacket on really cold nights? I generally sleep warm. Or should I get a lower rated bag? I'll be sleeping in a BA CS2 tent on a Thermarest uberlite sleeping pad.

2) Since this looks to be a normal snow year, what are he chances that I will be able to ford the south fork of the San Joaquin river past MTR where the bridge is washed out? I know late last year in Sept. people had been able to do that. I am hoping that by the time I get there in the last days of July, it will be in the same considering the normal snow year this year compared to last. I don't want to miss the Evolution valley if at all possible. There is a chance of course that the new bridge will be up by that time and I don't have to worry.

I am sure I'll have more question as the date draws closer ... Thank you for your time.

-Abe
3 507 Read More
Hike / climb recommendations J523561 05/03/24 08:13 PM
Hello,

I have a permit for a Mt Whitney ascent on 5/8 and will be in Lone Pine for 3 days.

Can anyone please recommend any mountain hikes / climbs in the area with a similar difficulty level? Something in the mountains and with nice views. I will have crampons, an axe, spikes, etc.

Thank you!!
0 243 Read More