Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3536 Members
10 Forums
5419 Topics
49930 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Alternative camping other than trail camp by OChikers8073 @ Today at 04:23 PM

Agreed trail camp is also really crowded and hard to find a place to use the 'restroom'
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by dbd @ Today at 09:59 AM

Friends of the Inyo is among the organizations with opportunities to volunteer. Check their site for a full calendar of events. https://friendsoftheinyo.org/ Immediate examples: Trail Work Thursday Whitney Portal July 19 from 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Whitney via the scenic route 9/15-9/17 by Rico @ Today at 08:24 AM

Much appreciated psyko. That's actually very helpful.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts SEKI Climbing Fatality 7/12 by Maverick @ Yesterday at 05:19 PM

SEKI NP: Quote:On Thursday, July 12 at about four in the afternoon the parks received a satellite device SOS call from the John Muir Trail/Pacific Crest Trail near Center Peak in Kings Canyon National Park, just north of Forester Pass. A hiker repor
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Mt. Langley- Old Army Pass vs. New Army Pass by Denis @ Yesterday at 02:42 PM

Hi everybody, I'm hiking Mt. Langley next weekend (7.21.18) and I was wondering which route is preferable right now: Old Army Pass vs. New Army Pass given possible snow conditions, etc? Thanks!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: White Mountain Peak Road by dbd @ Yesterday at 02:35 PM

I went up White Mountain on July 6. While driving up to the gate I saw deer and along the trail I saw bighorn sheep. That would justify the presence of mountain lions, but I wouldn't expect one to let you get close. Most commonly seen along the trail
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Releasing 3 overnight permits, Sat. July 21st entry by eje67 @ Yesterday at 01:44 PM

Just a head's up that this afternoon I'll be releasing 3 overnight permits with a July 21 entry date on recreation.gov!
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Chinook Sticks Landing on Mt. Hood. by wagga @ 07/14/18 05:29 PM

"The big chopper executed a 'pinnacle landing' right on the slope below the top of the mountain. This is when the crew drops the Chinook's ramp and balances the helicopter on its rear wheels while personnel climb aboard. In this case, the pilots
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Drop pack at trail crest? by cantare @ 07/14/18 03:25 PM

On June 28 while waiting for friends to catch up, I sat at the JMT junction chatting with thru-hikers as we watched marmots and squirrels rifle thru a pack. They will definitely investigate and make off with anything edible. If you're hiking the JMT/
General Discussion
It sounds like you are planning on trying to day hike. If that is the case, permits for Tuesday might be available at 10 AM on Monday. Those available will be from others picking up permits and dropping off a few due to their group size reducing. A
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: kit drop from OutPost camp by Steve C @ 07/12/18 08:32 AM

Yes, nobody hauls their camping gear to the top and back. Just put any food into the bear cannister. Bears have been sited at Outpost Camp recently.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 2 unused permits July 15th by DanWin @ 07/11/18 08:28 PM

I'm going on the 15th with my brother and two of his friends. At least two of us are planning on MR. Perhaps you can join us?
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Gmap4 Will Stop Working July 15, 2018 by britonwhit(ney) @ 07/11/18 12:57 PM

Not sure if a suunto device is required as I only encountered it once Id bought a suunto watch, but my impression from going to the site on a clean browser profile is that its free for anyone to register. It does topo and aerial views, tho irritat
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail by Steve C @ 07/11/18 12:09 PM

Information on permits where you couldn't enter due to the Georges Fire: Kurt Wedberg reported this: Quote:Whitney Road & Fire Closure Info: ONCE THE ROAD OPENS all of you who have permits that were valid for entry during the dates of the road c
General Discussion
Everything is reopening later today. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/43913
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: 14,505 or 14,508 -- Mt Whitney Elevation? by cantare @ 07/11/18 10:40 AM

What I love most about this whole elevation debate is the 1930 NPS plaque installed by someone lacking an understanding of significant figures: "14,496.811 Ft". That's an implied precision of 0.3 millimeters, or the size of a small grain o
The Chat Room
Jump to new posts Re: Steve on Green Butte Ridge by John from Oregon @ 07/11/18 09:54 AM

Glad you made it to the top! Thanks for suggesting we go to the top of Green Butte Ridge; that was a wonderful turn-around point, and it allowed us to put some pieces of the mountain together in our heads.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Long Term Parking - JMT by Captain_Corduroy @ 07/10/18 06:29 PM

Thanks so much Steve. Love this forum. I called and the person I talked to didn't think it would be a problem, and to leave a copy my permit (or permit reservation ) on view along with a note "JMT hiker ETA"... She said to park along the s