Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3109 Members
13 Forums
5134 Topics
48235 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
General Discussion
Recovering PD/borderline T2D here--and 3-time Whitney dayhiker. I never worry about eating carbs before or during a strenuous hike like Whitney--in fact, my hiking "food" has devolved to sour gummy bears and butterfinger bites because I jus
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Camping at horseshoe meadows by Marcus @ 07/20/17 06:11 AM

Thanks Steve!
WhitneyZone
Jump to new posts Re: Throw Back Shoes by bobpickering @ 07/18/17 10:13 PM

I have been up Whitney many times, but not in summer since 2010. Yes, you could toss the shoes across the stream. I think I read that there were two places where you would have to wade. Stream crossings may not be a problem when you go on August 2
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: WAG bags: It's not about technical viability by SierraNevada @ 07/18/17 07:19 AM

Your personal attacks are inaccurate and inappropriate, Dale. For the third time, if you have a plan to address the challenges you like to bring up that we're all aware of, let's see your plan. I've had a plan all along and I've done my part to move
General Discussion
Check it out!! from Instagram Your browser does not support video
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Mountaineers Route - Newbies viewpoints by Steve C @ 07/17/17 10:04 PM

Pictures like this "flatten" the slope. It is crazy steep in this area. As he wrote, the loose gravel above the snow is pretty tough to find places to step where your foot doesn't slide back down:Quote:Once we got off the snow the rock sc
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts 7/15 2-day hike by DrKen @ 07/17/17 09:31 PM

Perfect weather7/15-7/16. Took the switchbacks both up and down. Except for the few well-padded tracks through some snow patches. Trekking poles were great help , but no microspikes or crampons needed. Just my trusty La Sportiva shoes. Saw some
Trip Reports
Jump to new posts Re: Mount Fuji Trip Report July 2017 by WanderingJim @ 07/17/17 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: nyker Hey Jim, That's great you did the climb from the Sengen shrine. Did you stay near the trailhead or get dropped off with a taxi/bus there? Did you hike in the night or in daylight? How was the route in the dark? I was wo
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Mountaineers route - current water situation by OffKamber @ 07/17/17 08:34 PM

We went up yesterday as well. I believe we saw your group... my wife and I were sitting on the rocks above you guys having a snack. Sorry to hear about the injury. I would def. agree that crossing 2&3 require water shoes... no way around it but
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Missing Hiker Bob Woodie - Recovered by GandC @ 07/17/17 08:15 PM

Very nice article. Sounds like a heck of a guy.
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Re: Cottonwood Lakes, New Army Pass, Whitney Portal by mchapastyle @ 07/17/17 07:52 PM

Thanks Steve C!
General Discussion
Jump to new posts Balancing Preservation with Access to the Wilderness by SierraNevada @ 07/17/17 04:50 PM

This study by Colorado State University is a really good read if you're interested in wilderness management and climbing history. Long's Peak is very much like Mt Whitney in terms of altitude and popularity. The wilderness management challenges have
Trip Reports
Sure! Most people that we saw take the creek drainage up left a few hundred feet after the water crossing on the rock steps, and before trailside meadow. It is essentially the first large snowfield that you see and is very hard to miss if you know i
Trip Reports
Trip report from 7/12 - 7/16 starting from Horseshoe Meadows over New Army Pass to Guitar Lake, up to Mt Whitney and down to the Portal. 7/12: ~8 miles. Started after camping overnight at Horseshoe Meadows, left at about 11am after late morning arr
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2