Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
... Sounds like Corkscrew and DV Buttes can be combined into a one-day fun-fest, since they're only a very, very short distance from each other on Daylight Pass Road. Looking forward to it!

Well ... perhaps for you, but for me - when I'm headed back across the smallish alluvial fan towards my truck, what's on my mind is how good that adult beverage is going to taste! Corkscrew has some steep sections, even on the easiest route.

I was curious where you might have gotten the idea that Corkscrew and DV Buttes are a single day, so I went looking and found this on Summit Post - "Additionally, the Buttes, which are so accessible and short that even the average hiker could do the roundtrip in 2 hours, can be coupled with Corkscrew Peak for a very rewarding half day of Death Valley hiking" (emphasis added) which is one of the reasons I rarely put much stock in Summit Post. Often too much hubris and exaggeration for my tastes. That SP statement is total horse sheet.

There are lots of great hikes in DV. For me, when I'm hiking solo, doing Class 3 stuff is an unacceptable risk, but that's just me. I'm more of a hiker than a climber.

Hope this helps.

Kevin