Originally Posted By: Tomcat_rc
I would not neccesarily agree that to be the easiest or the easiest to find way up. Although it is listed route in Zdon's guidebook. The easier way up is to aim for the V-notch that lies between Corskcrew and the small "little corkscrew" to the left. From the ridge of the "v-notch" continue to follow the ascending ridgeline(class II) all the way to the summit. As for descent, I agree that the route Kevin posted is easy to negotiate and follow and makes for a quick descent. This makes a great loop hike.

Tom - Would you have a GPS track/series of waypoints you could email me regarding that ascent route? Even though I've done it 6 times in the three years since I first climbed it, others like you and Bob R. have much more experience on it than I. Given the long drive from RC/IYK (4 hours RT) and short winter days, there's not too much slack for exploring. And I can verify Zdon's comment that some of the small canyons have dry waterfalls that just don't go, including the one just west (uphill) from the "black canyon".

In terms of hiking times - our group of 5 did it this week in a bit under 6 hours, and that included about 45 minutes for lunch. Not too bad for geezers drawing Social Security, but no record either. Still, with 3,550' elevation gain, we aren't couch potatoes.