That seems a bit strong of a response, Ken. I think Salty just didn't read the state report I linked to until now. I wrote in my post this was the "upper range" of the state's estimate. The SFPUC came up with their own estimate of $9 billion.

The other estimates are from "Restore Hetch Hetchy" and Environmental Defense Fund. They left out certain costs like, well, REMOVING THE DAM and RESTORING THE VALLEY. The two environmental organization estimates seem extremely optimistic, which you would expect since it's their mission to tear the dam down. Another big cost that's missing is the escalation that will occur by studying this for 30 years or more. That will multiple this several times over, so even if you took the low ball estimate, it will end up at least $10 billion if it ever happened.

I assume we all pretty much agree this should not have been built in Yosemite in the first place. But as angry as that might make people, it's there and it doesn't make economic sense to dismantle the system and the loss of clean hydro power is not easy to make up. Put the energy and money into other environmentally positive projects that make more sense and will move us forward.