Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
I hear ya....it's been over a year since I quit my Sierra Club membership. I hate the fact they emailed me all the time telling me how to vote...just like the Unions telling their members how to vote. They are not the organization I grew to appreciate back in the '70s....but then again I am not the same person I was in the 70's....we have both changed as so has the world.

Exactly.

I consider the Sierrra Club's position on Prop F to be the height of hypocrisy.

BTW the exact text of the Prop is as follows

Proposition F: "This measure will: 1)Require the City to prepare a two-phase plan to evaluate how to drain the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir and identify replacement water and power sources; 2) allocate $8 million to pay for the plan and create a five-member task force to develop it; 3) require the task force to complete the plan by November 1, 2015, and require the Board of Supervisors to consider placing on the ballot a Charter Amendment to approve the plan."

Note it does not force anything onto any future ballot, and does not require any specific steps to be taken other than the formulation of a plan that includes replacement of the power and water.

Nonetheless, the Sierra Club (SF Chapter), says the following:

"The San Francisco Bay Chapter of the Sierra Club . . . has taken a neutral position on San Francisco Ballot Initiative Measure F: "The Water and Environment Plan”.

The Sierra Club, on historic principle, is in favor of the goal of restoring Hetch Hetchy Valley to its original splendor within Yosemite National Park.

"We are uncertain whether the mandates of Proposition F clearly serve the needs of the entire water system" said Rebecca Evans, the chair of the San Francisco Group. . .” "

Gee, we don't know exactly what will eventually go into this plan, so we can't risk taking the opportunity to find out. If not through a measure such as this, I would like to know how the Sierra Club imagines Hetch Hetchy will ever be restored. So much for historic principle, or any other. Big brave Sierra Club can take on the entire world energy industry to defend the ANWAR or the Clean Air Act,(That gets contributions) but can't support even creating an opportunity to do something about Hetch Hetchy. Oh, sure, they'll be there if the Prop passes, making sure everyone still gets their water and power, as if there won't be enough support on those issues. But lead the effort? Not me, said the little red hen.

This is beyond hypocrisy: I call this cowardice of the first order.

I wish I were still a member, so I could resign in disgust now.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!