I've hiked the Canyon before and plan to hike N.Rim to S.Rim with my two daughters in Mid-May. We'll probably take the shuttle, though it is definitely expensive for 3 people.

While you are all probably seasoned hikers, it won't hurt to keep these 5 tips in mind: This would be especially true for anyone starting out on the S. Kaibab Trail which is steep and dry:

1. Slow down and take it easy during your descent -- even if you feel great and full of energy. Otherwise you may "kill" your knees on the way down and really regret it on the way back up. I learned this from my first Canyon experience hiking down to the Havasupai Reservation more than 30 years ago.

2. Drink your water as you go. Don't hoard it! It gets hotter and hotter as you descend and because the air is so dry, you don't realize how much water you are losing from sweating. Dehydration brings disorientation. I learned this lesson on a solo hike down the S. Kaibab Trail, across to Indian Gardens on the Tonto Trail, and back up the Bright Angel Trail. Fortunately, I found a spring and some bushes with shade near the Tonto Trail to re-hydrate. Incidentally, I don't recommend the Tonto Trail for anyone with a fear of heights or vertigo. It gets very narrow at some points (unless they've improved it since I was there).

3. Watch where you put your hands and feet. This will help you avoid stumbles and snakebites. I've seen a lot of rattlesnakes in Arizona, but they mind their own business and only strike when they are startled or feel threatened. I've never seen them in the Canyon but they are certainly there.

4. If you take aspirin, it makes more sense to take it just before you start out -- before you get sore. Aspirin is anti-inflammatory and will help to prevent soreness. Also soaking your sore and tired feet in cool or cold water not only feels good, it helps reduce swelling and inflammation. You'll find a nice, cool stream at Phantom Ranch.

5. Take a walking stick! You won't find one in the Canyon, and that "third leg" will help you avoid falls and will let your arms give your legs a boost on the way back up.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and hike!

Dan