Originally Posted By: Steve C
Originally Posted By: DUG
I'm pretty confident I could get UP Muir, not so sure I could get safely down. Since that's pretty important, I need to either step up my skill set or go with someone else. Probably both. I take my son on pretty much everything, so I have to be extra careful.

DUG, descending really isn't any more difficult than ascending. If you can go up something, it is definitely possible to down-climb it. Your only disadvantage going down is that it is more difficult to find the footholds going down, since you might not be able to see them as readily as when you climb up. And with that disadvantage, it is the worst when you are nearly vertical, so can't hang out a little bit to see your downward route. However, Muir and all but the most technical of the peaks here are NOT that steep.

So you can pretty easily view your downward path with your eyes, and then proceed with your feet. On your way up, look down often, so you can recognize the route when you head down. It is not that difficult!

Then why are cats always getting stuck UP in a tree? smile

What you says sound good, but I have no experience. When we did the Mountaineers Route with Richard P we came down the main trail so he could show us all the short cuts.

I need to take a class or something. Maybe Route Finding/Mountain Climbing for Dummies?..............................................DUG