Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
Originally Posted By: Steve C

DUG, descending really isn't any more difficult than ascending. If you can go up something, it is definitely possible to down-climb it. Your only disadvantage going down is that it is more difficult to find the footholds going down, since you might not be able to see them as readily as when you climb up. And with that disadvantage, it is the worst when you are nearly vertical, so can't hang out a little bit to see your downward route. However, Muir and all but the most technical of the peaks here are NOT that steep.

So you can pretty easily view your downward path with your eyes, and then proceed with your feet. On your way up, look down often, so you can recognize the route when you head down. It is not that difficult!

Yup: that's why so many climbers simply downclimb their 5.15 overhanging routes.

Yup: I REALIZE that's an extreme example, but what is simple scrambling for one person is another person's death trap. And, having just lost someone on "Class 3 terrain", you can't tell me that going down is just a simple reversal of going up.

Also, might I suggest we watch the definition of "technical", please? Saying that something requires snow equipment, but in the same sentence saying the climb isn't technical is a gross sandbagging of what might be required to safely climb a mountain. To me, at least, anything requiring specialized equipment beyond than your lower limbs and trekking poles makes a climb technical. Other interpretations lead to people thinking they can take something like microspikes and use them on terrain other than a flat trail.

DUG, Muir is definitely Class 3, and has elements of exposure. The hand and foot holds are positive and evident, except for the "sit and spin" move in the middle of the face. If the weather holds, I would have some time in later October to head up there. It's a lot of walking for not a lot of scrambling, but maybe we could find some other trouble to get into, as well...

As for "other 14ers", c'mon now DUGgers. Don't join the ranks of the trophy-baggers and widen your scope a bit. There are SO many awesomely fun peaks throughout the Sierra on which you can learn and hone your skillz. I may know a few...

-L

You know I would LOVE a little Moose trek!

No thoughts of being a peak bagger or trophy hunter. I'll do as many as I safely can in my lifetime and be good with it.

Bob West has already suggested another fine peak that I haven't ever even heard of that deserves a look.

I was just curious, knowing my somewhat limited skill set and my over cautious nature, which of the 14ers I could do. I'm willing to try new things and improve my skills, but I have to many interests and hobbies in life to focus on becoming a super skilled mountaineer. I would like to be able to find my way around the back country without a trail more often though.

I'm planning on taking a long walk on the Whitney main trail next week to see how far I've come in my recovery. If I don't embarrass myself and the weather holds and you're willing to hang out, I would be love to take a stroll with you Moosie..............................DUG