Originally Posted By: Steve C

DUG, descending really isn't any more difficult than ascending. If you can go up something, it is definitely possible to down-climb it.

Ah, yes the "if you can go up something, you can go down it" oversimplification. How many times have you witnessed someone forward down-climbing terrain that should have been a face-in down-step? Point: many people cannot handle the face-in ladder position of a class 3 and above down-climb without an adverse reaction (if they have not practiced it a bit).

Anyone who has not practiced this sometimes awkward technique of face-in down-climbing should familiarize themselves with it in an area with very low exposure (I have seen people freeze up and the wrong time)

Muir: I was the gear babysitter for a group who did Muir, and again, I would suggest that due to a couple of semi-technical maneuvers (laybacks)(the turn-twist maneuver) that I witnessed as a newbee, (if not a technical climber), I would only advise doing the otherwise simple route with an experienced individual only, during the first attempt.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.