Let's take a look at this point by point...

The search...It was apparent to most here after a few days this was recovery, not a rescue but people to don't like to say that on public forums. My guess is the search teams felt the same way. Also, the area in question is pretty damn big and there was a reason so many search teams were called out, only a few from each team came. They searched this area extensively according to someone I talked to who was involved.

Most likely place...I disagree with Ken's assessment. I view the area between Consultation Lake and Trailside Meadow that is highly exposed as the most likely place and I'm sure others have their areas that they view as most likely.

Known problem areas...how much of a problem are they. Most take a few steps off the trail and figure it out pretty quickly. The problem here is the problem as it has always been...ignorance. Should we put up a fence on the north side of Mt. Baldy because Michelle Yu walked off it a few Decembers ago? Many people who go up this trail with knowledgeable friends refuse to take the time to learn what it is all about...that is for someone else, not me. When they are 2 miles away from their knowledgeable friends and thing go sideways they do not have a clue what do next. This cannot be cured with rocks strategically placed.

Once they had signs, "People Die Here" on the patio cover and the John Muir Wilderness entrance. They are gone, in my mind, because they are not Chamber of Commerce friendly. You can put all the signs and barriers you want...just like verbal warnings, and still stupid people are going to do stupid things.

The sad thing is this will not be the last death here this season, it is just the first.