What would the perception be if he descended alone and something happened to him. Would we be accused of abandoning him or being irresponsible?

>>>you can count on it. In fact, if you carry him down on your back, you can STILL count on it. Something happens=kneejerk response of criticism, particularly in the lay media.

>>>>>Reasoned, experienced people might have a different response.

Under what circumstances should someone descend with him? There are obvious circumstances (vomiting, mountaineer's foot, etc). But what if he says, 'I have a bad headache?' What if we make it to Trailside Meadow and he decides to turn around b/c the 'AMS headache' hits earlier and harder than normal?

>>>here is where judgement comes into play. Generally speaking, I think if a person turns around for a medical issue (AMS is one), they should be accompanied. The problem is, it can get worse very fast, making them incapable of walking. No way of knowing. I think of the young guy in a guided trip who died over on the Cottonwood Lakes trail, at a little over 10K.

I'd feel pretty comfortable, if because of a HA at TM, he decided to stop there for an extended rest, accompanied, the HA resolved, but he decided to go down instead of up, letting him go alone. At that point his problem seems to have resolved, but he knows what he faces up higher. Probable exception would be if he had to descend in the dark. I'd definitely have him accompanied.

DONT have him take the shortcuts from TM to Mirror Lake!