Originally Posted By: Steve C
Actually, people, it isn't that unusual for a single person to be sensitive to some particular chemical. Darp may be, and 999 others aren't.

I my case, I experienced some really unpleasant symptoms after hiking or skiing (at altitude of course), and finally related it to taking Excedrin. I had the problem three times: Hiking or skiing, near the end of the day, took the Excedrin (it has aspirin, caffeine and tylenol). Soon after, I was nauseated, and spent hours feeling awful. I never barfed, but was on the verge for much of the time. After I figured out the relationship, I've stopped taking it, and have never had the experience again.

I know a kid who becomes violently ill if he comes into contact with any milk products. So bad his mom packs an Epi-Pen.

Getting back to Harvey's original post, and from the SAR report:
"the subject's history of exercise-induced seizures."
Sheesh, I've never heard of such occurrences! But few things amaze me anymore. I'll bet that guy doesn't do any epic hikes again.

Hi Steve, After I found out about Tylenol ( acetaminophen) I have never taken it again. I use ibuprofen, much safer, but should be taken with food to prevent intestinal bleeding and all NASIDs are hard on liver.

Tylenol/acetaminophen is the #1 cause for ER admissions. It is so dangerous in combination with alcohol that over 400 people die each year from it, that we know of. And recently some members of FDA panel voted to totally ban acetaminophen, yet keep using things like Morphine, because Morphine is safer. The problem is the minimal dose for effectiveness is very near the fatal dose, much more so than things like Morphine and ibuprofen. Accidental double dose and have two glasses of wine and you can die.

In this NYT article, the majority voted to ban combining acetaminophen with some other drugs http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/01/health/01fda.html?_r=0

The two drugs combine a narcotic with acetaminophen, the ingredient found in popular over-the-counter products like Tylenol and Excedrin. High doses of acetaminophen are a leading cause of liver damage,

Here is another report on USA Today: A Food and Drug Administration panel on Tuesday voted 20-17 that prescription drugs that combine acetaminophen with other painkilling ingredients should be pulled off the market.

The FDA has assembled a group of experts to vote on ways to reduce liver damage associated with acetaminophen, one of the most widely used drugs in the U.S.

And here is NIH report that it kills 458 people a year, that does not count liver failures that transplants save the person.

Acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause for calls to Poison Control Centers ... and an estimated 458 deaths due to acute liver failure each year.

Acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause for calls to Poison Control Centers (>100,000/year) and accounts for more than 56,000 emergency room visits, 2,600 hospitalizations, and an estimated 458 deaths due to acute liver failure each year. Data from the U.S. Acute Liver Failure Study Group registry of more than 700 patients with acute liver failure across the United States implicates acetaminophen poisoning in nearly 50% of all acute liver failure in this country

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15239078

And in regard to: "I'll bet that guy doesn't do any epic hikes again." Am planing on Mount Langley in July.

Two years ago did Whitney, as one dayer, but got a bad heel blister at about 12,500 and turned around, which worked, got out without much pain. Cheers

Last edited by Darp; 07/04/14 10:21 AM.