Originally Posted By: Steve C
Yosemite has just released a completely new management document with five alternatives.
Comment period is 03/19/2012 - 04/20/2012.

This has been forced on the park by an environmentalist lawsuit aimed at limiting access to the park and the Merced River. Their demands are so extreme that even the Sierra Club stayed out of it.

Here's the Yosemite document: Preliminary Alternative Concepts Workbook

Fresno Bee articles:
Quote:
March 20, 2012
Yosemite Valley peak capacity is 20,500 visitors

After a decade-long lawsuit and $15 million legal costs, Yosemite National Park is going the extra mile to get folks involved in its third Merced River protection plan.

Park planners this week put out five preliminary options and asked the public to take a look. The options included something I've never seen before -- a limit to Yosemite Valley visitors. It's 20,500, the National Park Service says.

Read more here: http://fresnobeehive.com/news/2012/03/yosemite_valley_peak_capacity.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
EDITORIAL: Public must get involved in developing plan for Yosemite
Park Service is shaping rules that will change visitor access to Yosemite.
Thursday, Mar. 22, 2012

....As we have said many times, we don't believe that restricting access to the park is the answer to Yosemite's problems. But its capacity must be aggressively managed during the most popular months when Yosemite Valley is overwhelmed by visitors.....

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/03/21/2770285/editorial-public-must-get-involved.html#storylink=cpy

***This is my opinion if you might be offended please dont read***

how do we fight against these environmentalist? This is crazy talk. I love the world god has given to us but their platform is based fuzzy thinking. When global warming came out alot of people jumped on board and it becaame a platform for special interest groups to foce environment frieldy products that people dont want to buy, taxing people on the amount of polution the produce and ect while using the lie of destroying the environment to gather support. The majority of scientist have spoken out against such claims that were causing the destruction of the planet but rather the planet is slowly decaying at a steady rate and theres nothing you can do to stop it. anyways im sure some will disagree but alot of good intentioned people jump on board with this. The national forest wasnt given to any one person rather given to mandkind to share it and it is definately our job to take care of it together but to put limits as such is dictatorship and rediculous in my opinion, i say all this with respect to others but i personally think this is crazy.

I understand trailhead quotas the way there are currently in place and anymore i think in my opinion is not great. It is unfortunate that some people go out who just dont give a crap and trash the land or those who have a "im just going to go once so who cares what i do " mentality. But one shouldnt give up freedom for security, now that might not sound relevant but we cant live in fear or srupulosity. Once you start down that road it will continue until no one is allowed or some say since you barely use such land lets just use it and build.

on the other hand i know that alot of people just drive into yosemite and crowd the streets. I wander if entrance to the park was for people with trailhead qouats and campground reservation and maybe leave a certain amount for people who just want to check it out but ive been to yosemite more than once and it not bad enough to where i think we should limit it more than it is.

Last edited by John Prietto; 03/23/12 10:39 AM.

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"- Mother Teresa