Originally Posted By: Steve C

And that is part of the problem... Why do people put such exaggerated numbers out there when they feel the quotas should be reduced???

You missed my point: the point being that no number of deaths is acceptable when the cause repeatedly has been overcrowding & bad judgment. Now that ranger rick is stationed at the subdome, he can wag his finger during lightning storms and say "no, dear, this is NOT a good time to go up the dome". In a way, I don't like it any better than you do, but people have proven themselves unable to manage their own mass effect on the cables.

To address the usual response that "deaths are going to happen...it's the risk one settles with". I beg to differ when the setting is much like a stack of dominoes waiting to be knocked over by a falling cannon ball; the consequences of one person's actions could have the potential to be much more tragic than loss of one's own life. I have no problem with people risking their lives and killing themselves in the process (it's good for business*inside joke) However, in an extremely tight, public setting such as the cables, there is not much room -- even less when packed like sardines -- for "individual" error. It is a unique setting.

Originally Posted By: Steve C
Regarding watching helicopters in a rescue mission: It is unfortunate that people do such things. Maybe if there weren't such restrictive quotas, people wouldn't be so inclined to take on bigger risks.

Wrong. The June 2009 incident was BEFORE the quotas. That particular fiasco was said to be one of the last deciding factors in the initiation of the permit system.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.