Bob, YNP did in fact hold public discussions. I attended one at REI here in Fresno regarding the Half Dome permits several years ago. I got pretty frustrated at the nonsense the people there were saying. So many off-the-mark ramblings and scattered topics. I don't do well speaking to a group of more than three people, but I tried to make a point then, that cutting the numbers of hikers by imposing too low quotas on trails is having a negative long-term effect on people's access to, enjoyment of, and therefore willingness to support, wilderness. I think I even brought up the fact that the parks and national forests keep getting their funding reduced in the Federal budgets. Of course, I was just one in the crowd, and they were probably thinking everyone there was an idiot by then anyway.

As for the business impact, I certainly don't have a handle on the statistics, but I would think cutting back from the 500 to 800 hikers pre-permits to 300 this year will have a definite impact on the number of visitors traveling to the park. Half those who can no longer hike Half Dome will likely find other Yosemite destinations, but there are many who made the trip, especially a day trip, just to do HD.

Maybe if we presented the Half Dome issue in the light of a reduction of business, I could get some congressman and two Senators to draft a bill. wink