Originally Posted By: Bee
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
.....and a confident look in her eye - and keeps on going. I know it's not grounded in reality or even probability, but it provides me some hope.

There it is -- right there, Doggie. Watch (not too obviously) how some women carry themselves -- some like timid does, others like mighty mooses. Some are dressed like 10-year-olds going to a summer pic-a-nic, others like they mean business. Long before the assailant notices the acessory on her hip, he will have assessed the whole package. Like wolverines waiting for the herd stragglers, human predators prefer easy prey, too. By all means, not to say that any woman "asks" to be attacked, rather, I just observe that it is best to put the odds in one's favor by creating a more formidable first impression at a distance(I would rather not have to wait until up-close-and-personal to make a statement.)

b

Exactly what we're trying to instill in our daughter Bee. All other accoutrements aside, common sense, awareness and ability are the tools most needed in the wilderness (and really, pretty much everywhere else). Defensively speaking, by age 9 she had the instep-stomp and gonad-smash down pat (boys, watch out in a few years - this cutie will break more than your heart). She's now 10, so I suppose we can move on to eye-gouging and the finer techniques of biting. Sweetheart, Dad's busy - why don't you go practice on the boy next door . . .