I agree Alan - it's an important topic and very relevant to the board. On a subject like handguns the thread will stray a little more than normal - like you and I with the whole firearms statistics thing. It can't avoid morphing into a larger arena as each person tries to make their point. It doesn't have to be a bloodbath, though. Diversity of opinion is supposed to be a good thing, and if some folks would grow up and listen as much as they opine, a thoughtful discussion can be had. No one is ever going to "win" this debate - the extremists on both sides are too polarized - but it's really counter-productive to get inextricably cornered into an inflexible position just because you can't control your temper.

I'd happily debate/discuss any topic with the likes of yourself and Icystair any day. Like you said, we really aren't that far apart even though we're not exactly on the same page. I understand and respect your thoughts, and I think you reciprocate. We could probably spend hours debating in a bar from opposite perspectives on a given matter, and part agreeing to happily do it again soon. Mike and Fuji, though - neither was inclined to take the high ground so they're both equally at fault in my opinion. The board should sentence them to climb Whitney together. An overnighter at that - with just one tent.