To CaT, the notions are certainly intriguing, my first argument would be in the notion of how people generalize what they consider a "threatening appearance", I don't deny at times judging people in ways based on their looks but I do say that this is one of humanities greatest down falls, looks can be extremely deceiving and by using them as judgement against people we don't even know we only help to create greater segregation between ourselves.

Honestly though I do believe we are beginning to find a solution to the nature of open carry for someone like me at least, many other states of mind expressed I completely disagree with their assessment and feel they are wrong, I think we can agree it's not based on personal or heard about grievances associated with the situation and the sources of those feelings or thoughts are undoubtedly a far more complex matter that extends to the very heart of this country but in the end does it even matter? as a person that would open carry (I never have before) I have to make a decision and I personally would have to disregard others feelings and make people feel uncomfortable, and I certainly do not like making people uncomfortable but it comes down to that or me surrendering what I consider a very important liberty and to do so under the notion I consider completely irrational apprehension, and I cannot do that, I will not do that, and I think that by doing open carry and exposing people to it I will be doing a greater part no matter how small of it to change peoples opinion on the matter, after all the more people are exposed to something like that the more comfortable they will become with it and in my opinion will add a positive element back into society.

I also think that people are more inconsiderate in asking others to give up their legal rights/comfort/hobbies so that they themselves can feel a bit better, just think about how many different things you could apply that idea to in society, things people wished others did not do for one reason or another but have the legal right to...

Quote:
All I'm trying to say is the situation ended well. Hard to argue that. Also, the situation may have ended badly if he had a gun and wasn't able to get a kill shot quickly enough. Or the gun could have gave him a false sense of security changing how he handled himself. Without it he had to use his wits to survive. I am only going off the little info you've posted, but at the end of the day if he is alive and the animal is alive, that seems like a good thing

I agree all ended well, if I had a gun in that situation it would go about like this "pulls out gun, fires shot into air and points at the animal, if it does not scare and does not charge then it would just be a stand off anyway" no need to fire at the animal until it becomes a threat.

Quote:
I just don't see a need to carry in the backcountry.

I don't either, you wont ever see me carry in the backcountry concealed or not unless I have something like hunting in mind, I already burden myself with 7 pounds of camera gear and hell if I am going to bring a gun!