Thanks for all the replies, info and tips guys.

As what Gary said. I shouldnt be overtraining that i might end up injuring myself. I had a bad sore the weekend that i thought i sustained a muscle strain. I was willing fo hike again and endure the soreness yesterday (Sunday) if i was not stopped by my wife. Good thing she did and i was able to recuperate. But this does just reminded me that i am not ready yet and should be training more.

A friend of mine is a physical therapist and advised me do some "interval training" 2 x a week then do an "endurance hike" once a week on my usual hiking route. Its a high intensity interval workout training focussing on strength endurance on the legs with an "ideal pack weight" and at the same time increasing my V O2 max.

(from Wikipedia: VO2 max (also maximal oxygen consumption, maximal oxygen uptake, peak oxygen uptake or maximal aerobic capacity) is the maximum rate of oxygen consumption as measured during incremental exercise, most typically on a motorized treadmill. Maximal oxygen consumption reflects the aerobic physical fitness of the individual, and is an important determinant of their endurance capacity during prolonged, sub-maximal exercise.)

All i have to do is run up thru a series of switchbacks (a section of my usual .3 mile trail of 520 ft ascent) until i reached my TARGET HEART RATE (220 - YOUR AGE). Then continue on running or walking up without going over my target HR. Then walk down normal pace (as my heart rate and respiratory rate returned to normal (baseline HR and of RR). And do these for at least 30 min (for my intended whitney hike an hour is the minimum).

Its sounded simple but i guess not that simple. I tried that already a few weeks ago running up and failed to do it in consecutive "interval training" for 30 min. But im out of ideas. Ive got to try this. Anybody of you have tried this sort of "training".

I thought this training is essentially beneficial for all who have access in the gym (with stairmaster or a treadmill with at least 15% of incline setting) for more controlled environment.

Just sharing what i thought may help those in training specifically for novice hiker just like me. Im all open to any corrections of what i have thought of "interval training".

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by ponzy; 04/28/14 07:44 AM.