Simply put: Leave no Trace means leave no trace. I've been up Whitney now over 13 times and each year the trash problem gets worse - now this. The first time I stood on top of the summit back in 2007, there were no Mt. Whitney wood or metal signs scattered all over the summit. Unfortunately, social media has made this worse. It's all about the picture people can get on the summit so they can receive likes, sponsors, sell their products, etc. I've seen the posts. This geotag at the summit with a fallen soldier is no different. It's not about the soldier, it's about exploiting Mt. Whitney. Where does it stop? Where does the line get drawn? That is why there is a quota for Whitney. Can you imagine if there wasn't? Whitney would be a turd-hole. Sadly, Trail camp is pretty much that - a trash dump. This whole geotagging may not seem a big deal for some people, but for people like me who have been carefully treading, peakbagging, and exploring the Sierra Nevadas since a kid, it's something to be concerned about.

As for the Park Rangers getting up there and taking this geotag off the summit... wishful thinking. The Park service is extremely understaffed as of late. I've talked to a handful of NPS rangers and staff and they literally have no staffing power to get out and check permits. So, I highly doubt they will have the time to get to the summit and remove this geotag. If someone wants to remove it - by all means do so.

New hikers who are going for the summit: bring your own signs for pictures & social media, pack EVERYTHING out, including your poop, Leave zero trace, never tag the summit with anything.

I know I am most likely "preaching to the choir", but for those new hikers who are reading this remember you are not the only one hiking up to the summit. We can all do better.