I'm seriously considering to do the JMT in late winter or very early spring (April or early May), using snow shoes. I looked at touring ski but a) I haven't been on ski in 20 years and b) this stuff is really expensive - like almost $2000 for ski, boots, bindings and skins. I've used touring ski in the 80s and it was really great for ascents, but I have never done a serious downhill outside of the Wisconsin "bunny hills" or the German Black Forest, so before I break my neck going off Mather Pass, I figure I will do the snow shoe thing. I feel more comfortable at walking speed. It's mostly the downhill stuff I don't want to even get into, especially since I have a hunch that I will most likely be alone on this trip, so injury is not an option.

So here's where I need some input:

Pulk Sleds

What about pulk sleds? Anyone ever use them in the high country? I guess they may not be stable enough in the steep terrain and then there are the stream crossings where you need to carry these things. Plus, unless it is the middle of winter, I suppose there is a good chance that down below 9000 feet on a southern slope, I may find terrain that is snow free. Not good for pulling a sled. I could go earlier in the year, but was hoping to have at least 12 hours of daylight, so anything before late March won't cut it. The reason I am looking at the pulk sled idea is the need to bring more food that normal (no resupplies unless I can wing something), more gear than in summer, so my pack would be rather heavy. Put all that weight on snow shoes and progress on soft snow may not be easy. Perhaps I could go with a hybrid setup - a medium pack and a small sled to complement the pack, small enough so I can strap it to the pack when not needed or for crossings.

I may even have to build a sled myself, because most units I can find are rather large (15,000 cubic inches for the Granite Gear sled... 17 pounds empty!). It also is amazing how much more you pay when you get them from an outdoor company like Granite Gear compared to the ice fishing version from Shappell. I found some info on available "fins" to stabilize sleds in steep terrain, which makes me think this may actually work. Maybe I just have to build one myself - plenty of instructions and variations on the idea out there, plus a vendor that sells lots of parts.

Thing is - sleds don't makes sense if April regularly brings snow free zones on the JMT between Whitney and Tioga Pass (east entry and exit, also not sure what direction makes more sense). I guess a lot has to do with what type of winter it is, but if April means snow down to below 7000 feet for sure, the sled may be the way to go. Any locals who can shed light on that issue?

4-Season Tents

I also need suggestions and experiences with 4-season tents in the Sierra. The only one-person 4-season I found is the Hilleberg Akto, but I am probably too tall for it. Maybe I'll go plush and get a 2 person tent. Extra space comes in handy if you're not going anywhere, plus there are a lot more options available. All are much heavier, though. Just based on internet research, I'd say the shortlist for me includes the TNF Mountain 25 (8.8 lbs, small for two people, bombproof choice which is what I usually pick), Hilleberg Nallo 2 (6 lbs - roomy for one, not free standing) or the even bigger Nallo 2 GT. There is also that Norwegian Helsport line - Greenland-approved, but expensive.

Snow Shovel

I will need a good snow shovel (for camp building, avalanche condition checking, etc)

Snow Shoes

snow shoes - I think I'll need the MSR Ascents for the terrain I am going to be in. I followed a recent snow shoe discussion on the Muir Trail mailing list and feel I need the aggressive snow shoe more than load capacity. "Sierra cement snow" and other terms were brought up. Much of the terrain is above tree line, so larger snow shoes should be ok to carry a heavy pack.

Poles

hiking poles? Special touring ski poles? - guess for the hiking poles I owuld need real snow cups - the snow cups they sell for my REI carbon poles barely worked in June on really hard snow

Crampons

I assume there is no way around them that early in the year. I have some heavy duty crampons but feel that for most of the trip I would not need them. I'd probably get some aluminum crampons to save weight.

Footwear

I assume that for weeks of walking in the snow, a high altitude mountaineering boot is best - warm, with inner boot for tent use, crampon compatible and waterproof. Anyone ever hike in snow shoes with something like that? Other ideas? I am used to heavy boots, so I don't really care about weight. With gaiters, those things will go through rather deep water without a problem either. problem is that these boots are expensive ($600+) or I need to find a pair that fits on ebay in time. Expedition gaiters are also great and should make any plastic boot as good as the high dollar Everest-style boots, possibly better when things get so warm you want to go without gaiters

Clothing suggestions

Clothing - layers... Heavy gore tex outers, down, fleece, thermal underwear, gloves and overmittens, etc. Most of my gore tex gear is for summer use - I'd have to get a warmer shell, some down layers, etc - need some suggestions from folks who have been up there in April.

Sleeping Pads
ground pad(s) - double up I suppose - closed foam and some thick warm thing on top.

Sleeping Bag
sleeping bag temp rating? I have nothing warmer than 20 degrees, so I would have to get something new. April temps at 12,000 feet? down or synthetic? I don't mind buying a $600+ bag if that's what it takes. I hate to be cold...

Cooking
fuel - propane or liquid fuel? how much? will I need to melt snow for water? I know the propane/butane stoves get slow when it's cold, but then I know Everest climbers still bring that kind of stuff along. What's the word out in the Sierra? don't want to start a big discussion about what's the ultimate lightweight stove in winter, just need to know what is reliable.

Food storage
bear canister - bears will be hibernating and what ranger will check if I have a can or not? I think I'll bring it anyway. Anyone ever have a Bearikade freeze shut on them? How to prevent?

Communication

Right now I think it's gotta be a sat phone with Spot as backup. GPS with summer tracks loaded for navigation just in case there's a whiteout.

camera gear

I'll bring far too much again, need that sled.

and although this is gear corner - since I got your attention some related questions about trail and weather:

About the trail that time of year: what should I expect the water crossings (Evolution, Bear) to be like in April? Theoretically they should be pretty low, but I assume that may change on a daily basis with the weather warming and cooling. However, even if warm for April, the water should not be as deep as in June but if it requires real fording, I guess I need to have a plan for my sled (a backup pack frame?)

The preferred direction in April? south north or the usual north south? I assume that mornings mean crisper snow even on the south flank of passes, so climbing northbound in the morning and then descending on the cooler north slopes in the afternoon may be the better direction regarding snow stability. Sun in the back with all that white stuff around may also be a good idea. Thing is, I know the trail way better southbound, the orientation in that direction would be dramatically easier for me, even if everything is completely covered in deep snow. Then there's the obvious altitude stuff with southbound being easier. Starting in the south from Horseshoe Meadows may be the best option for northbound, with Whitney left out of the route, but what fun would that be?

Resupply

I am not sure how to handle that with all the usual places not in operation in April. I may just have to find some volunteers to meet me on some of the more accessible passes and give them a good excuse to get out there early in the season.

Anyone interested to do a JMT with snow shoes some time around April 2012? I doubt I'd be able to pull this off in 2011. There's just too little time to get this all sorted. Too much stuff to test out before and far too much expensive gear to buy in a hurry. Another extra winter to test gear here in Wisconsin may not be bad either.