googled the caninster stuff - backpacker.com had some article about it. Can't see it on the official site, however, there's also no info that you may not be required to use them in winter. I bet anywhere above 9000 feet I'd be ok. In fact, with Tioga Pass most likely being my northern terminus, I would not camp in the low country in Yosemite at all, and the only other canister required areas that are low are Woods Creek (lockers under the snow if I should stay there) plus the low areas of the Whitney Zone. Lockers are near Rae Lakes and Tyndal, but I bet those areas are in deep winter in April. So, I guess I really won't need the thing. If I do place some caches out there, I may use a can for those, especially if low around VVR or Reds. I defintely don't want to get into silly hanging of food in winter - I'd rather carry the can.

10 miles a day is about what I am aiming for, but I may go slower if I can sort out some resupply around Taboose Pass or Kearsarge. Still don't even know if I am going north or south.

Once I settle on the foot gear I will be doing plenty of local shoeing to get the body used to it.